The Copt Hill Pub....

He had bought it hadn't he? The place needs flattening.

No idea mate. Hasnt been great the last couple of times I've been in. Service hasn't been particularly welcoming to be honest. The wife (no) went in a month ago on a saturday night about 8pm, no one in hardly. Went to the bar to order drinks, and was instantly abruptly told "mind we're shutting at 9pm". Went in a couple of sundays ago, dirty plates all over the tables in the bar, despite it being really quiet. Just got the feeling no one could be arsed.

No idea mate. Hasnt been great the last couple of times I've been in. Service hasn't been particularly welcoming to be honest. The wife (no) went in a month ago on a saturday night about 8pm, no one in hardly. Went to the bar to order drinks, and was instantly abruptly told "mind we're shutting at 9pm". Went in a couple of sundays ago, dirty plates all over the tables in the bar, despite it being really quiet. Just got the feeling no one could be arsed.
If you're closing at 9pm on a Saturday you might aswell give up. Shame so many pubs are struggling like.

That’s been the problem for years

Pubs these days need special offers on good food to get people out of the house ...... As for the drink craft beers and own brewery is the way to go... However The copt hill is not in a good location lot of old people close to it who wont walk for a drink and the estates around have other choices too such as wetaherspoons Houghton cheep beer !! ......

I've been in a couple of times in the last few weeks, a nice pint of old moat and very good reasonably priced bar meals, they are friendly enough but I got the impression maybe not that experienced with pubs, noticed a few more cars in the car park lately so maybe its catching on a little bit.

The people who run/own the Stackyard are taking over.

** ANNOUNCEMENT **
From today we will be taking on The Copt Hill (this is a temporary agreement to try and get this pub back on its feet with the help of the local community), we know it has changed hands a number of times and a lot of people have been let down, we can guarantee everyone that we will not promise anything that we can’t deliver.
We will be reopening once a deep clean and small improvements have been made including health and safety inspections to get the kitchen to 5 stars ⭐️).
We will be having good traditional ‘Nana’s Favourites’ daytime menu and on the evening we will be having a Grill menu with beauitful steaks, choices of burgers and many more (including Vegetarian options). Also a great Sunday Lunch!
We will be hiring some new staff but you might see some friendly faces from our fantastic team from the Stackyard up there.
This once was a great pub and we would like to achieve this, however this can only be achieved by support from the community.
THIS WILL NOT IMPACT the Stackyard, as that remains our key priority as we have worked hard to get this pub back on the map.
We will be launching our Facebook page (there is a few already), we will be updating on our progress and menus and how to book for functions.
We are looking forward to the challenge (we hope lol).

Beautiful location on the edge of a council estate

I've always thought this like, because of its location it would need to be really good to attract people because it is out of the way and Hall Lane are the nearest houses. Past Hall Lane there is the burn pub, shite pub but surrounded by houses, the three tuns on the way to Hetton which doesn't seem busy whenever I go past, further down is the mill which is a decent enough pub and does well then the other way there is Houghton centre which has 3 pubs including a spoons. With all those and the pub industry being as it is these days I think it would take something special to make the Copt Hill a busy pub again.

I've always thought this like, because of its location it would need to be really good to attract people because it is out of the way and Hall Lane are the nearest houses. Past Hall Lane there is the burn pub, shite pub but surrounded by houses, the three tuns on the way to Hetton which doesn't seem busy whenever I go past, further down is the mill which is a decent enough pub and does well then the other way there is Houghton centre which has 3 pubs including a spoons. With all those and the pub industry being as it is these days I think it would take something special to make the Copt Hill a busy pub again.
Even living down on Gillas Lane it's a twat of a walk up that hill.

We live down by the Mill and when we go out for a drink locally we go to the Three Tuns. Shit beer, crap wine selection but we still prefer it. If the Copt Hill takes off we will probably start going there.

What do you not like about the Mill? I'm not a regular but go in after work occasionally (I work at Rainton Bridge) and I don't mind it.

What do you not like about the Mill? I'm not a regular but go in after work occasionally (I work at Rainton Bridge) and I don't mind it.
Its a strange one but I just can't get away with the old girl that seems to be in charge. She should have been an undertaker rather than being in the game she is. Beer is crap and overpriced also. Apart from that I like the place😉

Its a strange one but I just can't get away with the old girl that seems to be in charge. She should have been an undertaker rather than being in the game she is. Beer is crap and overpriced also. Apart from that I like the place😉

It is pricey like. Something I take for granted these days because I am not out regularly anymore is a good landlord/landlady. It can make or break a pub for regulars. I drank in the colonel prior in my late teens and early 20s and the landlord Dougie ran it really well. Went to shit as soon he left.

Last edited:

Back