The Clash

I'd have to disagree. I love the Jam but Weller had less lyrical scope than Strummer. The Clash had that big worldview rather than just singing about council estates and the like. Probably the reason why they were more successful around the world but the Jam were only really big in the UK.
Yeah it's all been said before on here but blokes from the UK jumping on global bandwagons is very Sting Bono Peter Gabriel .
When those songs landed like the Smiths the listener wasn't concerned about global appeal .

Yeah it's all been said before on here but blokes from the UK jumping on global bandwagons is very Sting Bono Peter Gabriel .
When those songs landed like the Smiths the listener wasn't concerned about global appeal .

But they got in first, always ahead of the game. And they've weathered better than the Jam.

But they got in first, always ahead of the game. And they've weathered better than the Jam.
Don't get this competition thing
It wasn't
I come out of Punk with an understanding The Pistols embodied it and for me the winners were the Stranglers ,The Damned and The Jam
Purely on how they grew musically
The others were great but had no more to offer after the initial blast
Just never got the Clash rockabilly thing

It wasn't
I come out of Punk with an understanding The Pistols embodied it and for me the winners were the Stranglers ,The Damned and The Jam

I don't get the competition either but someone brought up the idea that Weller was a better songwriter, I just felt I had to counter that. We should just feel lucky we had such great bands really. And the rockabilly thing was just a very small part of the Clash repertoire, they turned their hand at all sorts, usually pretty well.

I don't get the competition either but someone brought up the idea that Weller was a better songwriter, I just felt I had to counter that. We should just feel lucky we had such great bands really. And the rockabilly thing was just a very small part of the Clash repertoire, they turned their hand at all sorts, usually pretty well.
It was a fantastic time to be young and get to see shit loads of up & coming bands live at affordable prices.

I liked loads of bands in that era and also didn’t get the whole “my band are better than your band” thing. They were all good for what they did, and each had their own strengths. Some were better live, some wrote cool lyrics, others great tunes, some great singles, some fantastic albums.

I feel lucky to have grown up through those times.

I have been educating the locals at graft into the wonders of The Clash and SLF. Whilst the Kazakhs know a lot about English football their taste in music is breathtakingly bad. My trainee (22) used to listen almost exclusively to Queen or Michael Jackson.
I do smile when i pass his desk and he is listening to Give Em Enough Rope. Shame about the f***ing Chelsea shirt.

It was a fantastic time to be young and get to see shit loads of up & coming bands live at affordable prices.

I liked loads of bands in that era and also didn’t get the whole “my band are better than your band” thing. They were all good for what they did, and each had their own strengths. Some were better live, some wrote cool lyrics, others great tunes, some great singles, some fantastic albums.

I feel lucky to have grown up through those times.
You’ve grown up?

With the exception of Buzzcocks, British punk pre 1980 was just shouty or comedy rock. Vastly inferior to its American counterpart. Picked up massively over here when the Clash changed style and the emmergence of new wave.
Christ you really do know nowt.

Last edited:
Always preferred them far more than the Sex Pistols who do nowt for me personally, The Clash have some belting songs.
The pistols and the clash shouldn’t be talked about in the same way.
The pistols were more about the culture and personality imo where as the Clash were very much musicians and artists

The intro for the guns of Brixton was sampled for a soul to soul song. I was working in a computer company in London in 1990 and played a clash cd in the office one day. The West Indian lads went daft as they thought the clash had robbed their chooooooooon. Sorry lads, this is first.

Last edited:
It wasn't
:confused: Weren't they just the bands you preferred?

Well done
At least @wackyjacky got my more subtle but all round cleverer post

The pistols were more about the culture and personality imo where as the Clash were very much musicians and artists

The intro for the guns of Brixton was sampled for a soul to soul song. I was working in a computer company in London in 1990 and played a clash cd in the office one day. The West Indian lads went daft as they thought the clash had robbed their chooooooooon. Sorry lads, this is first.
Different bands, but PiL showed where the Pistols could have possibly gone. Maybe it took the break up for that to happen, maybe Lydon would have forced them down that route. They were already doing Flowers of Romance before they split I think.

I’m glad they split anyway. It preserved one of the greatest rock n roll stories ever.

Last edited:
I have been educating the locals at graft into the wonders of The Clash and SLF. Whilst the Kazakhs know a lot about English football their taste in music is breathtakingly bad. My trainee (22) used to listen almost exclusively to Queen or Michael Jackson.
I do smile when i pass his desk and he is listening to Give Em Enough Rope. Shame about the f***ing Chelsea shirt.
Why? They're both clearly better than The Clash?

:confused: Weren't they just the bands you preferred?
Nope,me and mates were listening to everything when it kicked off so everyone was in the mix ,the bands I mentioned were "the winners" for the reason stated .The Clash are in that gang as well I think you'd have to say but not for me personally.The big point is I don't get how they seem to be head and shoulders above the others looking back

Pistols were better musicians like ,both average drummers mind . The Bollocks in a solid rock record ,jones sounds better than two clash guitar players

I'd have to disagree. I love the Jam but Weller had less lyrical scope than Strummer. The Clash had that big worldview rather than just singing about council estates and the like. Probably the reason why they were more successful around the world but the Jam were only really big in the UK.
Alan Whicker travelled even more than Joe ,whats his songs like ? Not sure that's a good guide for the art of songwriting :lol:.The Clash get mentioned a lot but Weller more for the writing side of things

Last edited:

Back