The Clash

Yeah that's the one, just listened to the tapes again but it cuts between tracks so can't make out what he says before 'Brixton' but he was probably meaning we wouldn't understand racism as it was predominantly white up north then.

Cheers for that. The memory is still sound......if I remember rightly (I was only 15-16 at the time) it was only a decent gig, not mind-blowing or anything.

Brilliant band though. Might not be the most popular choice in here but, for me, London Calling is their best album.

Great band, I was too young to see them live but was lucky to catch Strummer when he fillled in for Shane Macgowan on The Pogues Hells Ditch tour.

My avi is a homage to them.
Got a tshirt of that poster. It’s a bit big for me now like, it was too big to start with & lost some weight. Might have to re-order

Give 'Em Enough Rope I used to listen to every weekday morning, and plenty of Saturdays or Sundays too, because it somehow got me in the right frame of mind for either work or playing sport.

Just watched a documentary about them , not a big lover of Punk but these lads had some cracking tunes and must have influenced countless other bands :cool:
One of the best groups ever ?
Aye.
I never saw The Clash live but I saw Joe Strummer with The Mescaleros in Newcastle. Half the set was Clash songs and it was carnage, superb.

Edit: I used the word superb for the first time in ages and half of you fuckers had already copied off me before I typed it.

Last edited:
Decent band but the Jam were better.

Weller by far the better songwriter.

Without a doubt
Weller wrote stories first..What outfit would accompany was second

I'd have to disagree. I love the Jam but Weller had less lyrical scope than Strummer. The Clash had that big worldview rather than just singing about council estates and the like. Probably the reason why they were more successful around the world but the Jam were only really big in the UK.

Back