The chore of going to the match

Well that depends on what your matchday is.

Today it was rushing around like a blue arsed fly, parking up, legging it over in the pissing rain / cold, stood in a freezing cold stand watching arguably the worst 90 minutes i have ever seen at the SOL. Full time, stuck in traffic, cold, frustrated, back home.

Absolute chore.

For me, it’s a good day really. Me, the wife and kids head to the pub; we meet a load of family and friends; go to the match; post match the fellas stay out. There are some matchdays when there are 35-40 of us out.

For me, it’s a good day really. Me, the wife and kids head to the pub; we meet a load of family and friends; go to the match; post match the fellas stay out. There are some matchdays when there are 35-40 of us out.
In that case its decent, some of my mates have jacked it in so not as good as it used to be.

All depends on what you've got alongside the match cos the 90 minutes is the worst bit.

For the first time in 25 years of supporting Sunderland I was tempted to stay in and miss the game. Obviously I ended up going but everyone around me was saying the same thing. It’s absolutely horrific going to that shithole of a stadium now to see us huff and puff against lesser opposition. There’s no reason to go the match anymore because we are so bad.

These players are a complete joke and a disgrace to the shirt. Their lack of effort, fitness and professionalism is there for all to see. They don’t play as a team and more worryingly don’t want to play as a team. And the new manager seems incapable of addressing this.

Grow some balls mate support your team in the lowest time we have had

For the first time in 25 years of supporting Sunderland I was tempted to stay in and miss the game. Obviously I ended up going but everyone around me was saying the same thing. It’s absolutely horrific going to that shithole of a stadium now to see us huff and puff against lesser opposition. There’s no reason to go the match anymore because we are so bad.

These players are a complete joke and a disgrace to the shirt. Their lack of effort, fitness and professionalism is there for all to see. They don’t play as a team and more worryingly don’t want to play as a team. And the new manager seems incapable of addressing this.

Yeah where I sit we were discussing the same...atm Tuesday may well be a no show for me...( would watching SAFCSEE count?)

As the old saying goes, they dont come to see me when Im bad.......

Went for years home and away until the 0-0 v Stoke under Bruce. The misery of leaving the ground and the hassle of getting home in a bad mood was ruining the weekends, would love to go back but marking my bets off with Jeff Stelling and a cup of tea is more enjoyable at the moment.

Was made worse with the weather and metros being off. Anybody there today deserves credit. Some might say mad, I say true supporters. One day we’ll be rewarded for it I hope.

I know the feeling I make woo mile round trip but perhaps no more.

I fully respect anybody who is going to watch this drivel week in week out.
I got to a point when I was at the games thinking I could be doing so much more enjoyable things than this.
Still pick and choose matches but no way could I go back full time the way things are

I live 5 mins away and trying to keep my 12 year old positive is getting harder and harder ffs it must be a mare for fans who have to travel mind.

Shit pints at £4.50 don't help my cause the match day out is lifting for the money spent
Went for years home and away until the 0-0 v Stoke under Bruce. The misery of leaving the ground and the hassle of getting home in a bad mood was ruining the weekends, would love to go back but marking my bets off with Jeff Stelling and a cup of tea is more enjoyable at the moment.
Everything I hate about football but in becoming? Would always watch any game but now find soccer Saturday entraining disappointed in myself

Last edited:

As my son and I were about to leave, my missus said 'enjoy yourselves'. We then had a conversation about why going to watch Sunderland wasn't enjoyable - she asked a valid question about why we should continue going if we weren't enjoying it.

After the first half, my son suggested leaving but we decided to stay.

At the match, I realised that I'd lost the will (not Grigg, the testament or my john thomas) at halftime. I was drinking coffee, having a good chat with my son and listening to the Red Hot Chili boys and the rain had stopped when I suddenly realised that the team had came back onto the pitch - the happiness went and for the first time in my supporting life (since 1963), I knew there were loads of better things to do than watch this set of shit players.

I will see the season out but if we don't get promoted, the season cards will be cancelled and we'll pick and choose matches or/and listen/watch via radio and streams.

I'll always support but will no longer waste money and time as easily as I have done all of my life over SAFC.

Nearly an hours drive for me and the youngest. Spent all morning getting drenched watching oldest son play only to get drenched again watching what is without doubt history in the making.
The worst EVER Sunderland team. Let that sink in as I still cannot get my head around it.
Those who believe we have a chance of going up are kidding themselves , we have more chance of a real relegation battle with this current set up.
January transfer window is crucial to what happens next .

It's a chore which another few won't bother with on Tuesday. That for me today was poor but a point more than I thought we'd get and deserved. 2nd round of fa cup next weekend so a week off for the people who matter which of course is the supporters. Also a chance for the shirkers or in some cases injured possibly to earn a fraction of their inflated wages by being available for selection. Even though an improvement in performances shouldn't be hard I stand to be corrected.

Didn’t bother today never enjoyed a game for years it’s gets in the way of a good day out. Could t give me ticket away. When’s the last direct debit due cos I might even cut me losses now?

Back