The chore of going to the match

Grow some balls mate support your team in the lowest time we have had
And what have they done for us lately ?

A lot of time and money to watch that turgid shit. For the same money, you can watch a band or a good comedian, and be guaranteed a performance of high technical quality and commitment.

I grew up loving Sunderland, loving match days, and following them wherever I could afford. That died a while back. I am now starting to harbour the notion that perhaps they they are no more than a shit entertainment brand who have duped me for decades, trading on geography and local sentimentality to exploit my community. We've all paid a lot of money in supporting that club over the decades, and a lot of it has filled the pockets of some very mediocre individuals.

They won't be seeing any of my money until they get their finger out, and give me a reason to want to go there.

A lot of time and money to watch that turgid shit. For the same money, you can watch a band or a good comedian, and be guaranteed a performance of high technical quality and commitment.

I grew up loving Sunderland, loving match days, and following them wherever I could afford. That died a while back. I am now starting to harbour the notion that perhaps they they are no more than a shit entertainment brand who have duped me for decades, trading on geography and local sentimentality to exploit my community. We've all paid a lot of money in supporting that club over the decades, and a lot of it has filled the pockets of some very mediocre individuals.

They won't be seeing any of my money until they get their finger out, and give me a reason to want to go there.

Yep it's very one way

My going to the match depends entirely on the last 2 or 3 people left that I go with. If they decide to jack it in then my mind will be made up for me

In the old days I knew about 50 different people who went to matches so always had someone to go along with and never considered not going

So true.

Won't stop me going like, but it is getting harder and harder I have to admit.

Years gone by I would arrange things around the football, every other Saturday I was "unavailable" between 13:00 and 18:00 - I would honestly arrange trips and holidays to avoid missing a home game. I hate to admit that now if something relatively decent pops up instead, the match gets ditched.

Went to Blackpool game, didn’t take me long to regret it, about 3 minutes or so in fact.

My seat is gonna get cold..... wont be wasting one of my 2 days off any more .

When manager ducks the post match interview, his deputy says we played well, our shots on target stat remains a disgrace, I’m ........ OUT !

Must admit I sacked it off yesterday and went to watch Annan vs Edinburgh City in Scottish League 2. Awful game but it was refreshing to see 22 players trying their best and giving their all with a bit of fight and passion.

After 50 years ,I got to that point 3 years ago.
I'm really pleased I made the decision not to go and it still feels a bit weird on a Saturday but I just couldn't stand watching that crap anymore

Back