the chinese are lying

I’m pretty sure the first case of ‘spanish’ flu was in the USA - at an Army barracks if I remember right.
I think the name ‘Spanish’ stuck in part because then Spanish King was one of the first high-profile casualties.
War reporting during WW1 didn't allow for any sort of bad news from France, Germany or England. Since the Spanish weren't party to the war, they could report anything. They were the first to report its spread in Spain, hence the name.

US soldiers brought the virus back home with them and it spread (it is suspected) out of a military base. Though the tinfoil hat brigade I am sure has a far more entertaining version.

"...in northern France. Lt J.A.B. Hammond and two colleagues encountered an outbreak of ‘purulent bronchitis’ in late 1916 and early 1917 at a hospital centre forming part of the British army encampment at Etaples. An initial paper was published by this group in The Lancet in July 1917. This publication precipitated a rapid follow-up article, also in The Lancet, from an independent military group reporting similar observations at Aldershot, in the south of England. Looking back 2 years later, this second group had no doubt that in 1916–17 they had observed ‘fundamentally the same condition as the “influenzal pneumonia” of this present [1918] pandemic’. The possibility that these outbreaks were caused by the very pathogen which soon thereafter killed 50 million people was contemporaneously put forward by American authorities; and it has been made again, in recent years, by the virologist John Oxford."

origins of the great pandemic

I have a medical background. The Lancet is exceedingly reputable. I would rate it in the top ONE of medical journals.

Last edited:
War reporting during WW1 didn't allow for any sort of bad news from France, Germany or England. Since the Spanish weren't party to the war, they could report anything. They were the first to report its spread in Spain, hence the name.

US soldiers brought the virus back home with them and it spread (it is suspected) out of a military base. Though the tinfoil hat brigade I am sure has a far more entertaining version.

"...in northern France. Lt J.A.B. Hammond and two colleagues encountered an outbreak of ‘purulent bronchitis’ in late 1916 and early 1917 at a hospital centre forming part of the British army encampment at Etaples. An initial paper was published by this group in The Lancet in July 1917. This publication precipitated a rapid follow-up article, also in The Lancet, from an independent military group reporting similar observations at Aldershot, in the south of England. Looking back 2 years later, this second group had no doubt that in 1916–17 they had observed ‘fundamentally the same condition as the “influenzal pneumonia” of this present [1918] pandemic’. The possibility that these outbreaks were caused by the very pathogen which soon thereafter killed 50 million people was contemporaneously put forward by American authorities; and it has been made again, in recent years, by the virologist John Oxford."

origins of the great pandemic

I have a medical background. The Lancet is exceedingly reputable. I would rate it in the top ONE of medical journals.

That last link is very interesting, shows how much detective work is involved, this piece I found pretty good :-

"To our knowledge, the only reasonably persuasive evidence we have of geographical origin, which is by no means conclusive, comes from phylogenetic analyses indicating that most of the avian-like genomic segments in the 1918 human virus appear to be of Western Hemisphere and, probably, North American origin [19] and that the pandemic virus’s HA gene was likely circulating in the human population for many years prior to 1918 [20]. These studies suggest, moreover, that the virus reassortment event giving rise to the pandemic probably occurred in or around 1915—since the common ancestor of human and swine H1N1 genomic segments, and in some cases the common ancestor of human, swine, and avian segments, can be dated to that time window—long before the Kansas cases. Therefore, we should remain cautious in the face of incomplete knowledge. In a nutshell, the chance that a very precise epicentre of the pandemic was captured and publicly documented in real time by front-line observers, whether in Kansas, Etaples, China or wherever, must be close to zero. On the other hand, the chance that early documented cases will be proffered at some later point as the first cases is clearly very high: such is the nature of headline-making pandemics. "

I wonder if the same is true of the current coronavirus - be interesting to see if they can pin it down further over time (the article linked about Spanish flu did say they were going to run RNA tests on samples of deceased peoples lings not sure if this was done)

Zero recorded deaths.

Cross-posted on a separate thread.

Last edited:
To their credit it is called "Spanish Flu" because the Spanish Government was the first to call the crisis out unlike the warring nations who did not do so out of pure self interest

Oh I know that but it's still racist apparently.
US witholding WHO support funding due to their actions with China.

Last edited:
There are western countries not recording all deaths mate. Its not just the Chinese and the Russians.

This, when it's China it's "lying and a coverup" when it's other countries it's "Underreporting"

Our own figures only include people who have died in Hospitals, for starters.

This, when it's China it's "lying and a coverup" when it's other countries it's "Underreporting"

Our own figures only include people who have died in Hospitals, for starters.

China arrested and silenced their own doctors for trying to warn people about it.

China took weeks/months to admit there was even a disease having already let it spread around the world.

China destroyed samples.

China didn't count asymptomatic positive tests in their figures.

Totally the same as there being a delay in the way community deaths are recored.

Last edited:
China arrested and silenced their own doctors for trying to warn people about it.

China took weeks/months to admit there was even a disease having already let it spread around the world.

China destroyed samples.

China didn't count asymptomatic positive tests in their figures.

Totally the same as there being a delay in the way community deaths are recored.

Back