The cheviots

Lovely walks in The Harthope Valley (Hedgehope is a far nicer summit than The Cheviot). Or The Breamish - lookup walks to Linhope Spout then off up to Hedgehopr summit. Also got Coquetdale where there is a nice 13-miler round par Davidson’s Linn, up through the woods towards Windy Gyle then back past Trows (where my family originated years ago). Humble Tom is a nice warm-up from Wooler. Yeavering is steeper but has a bigger hill fort on the summit where there is a cracking view across the valley to The Cheviot and Hedgehope.

Show off

How do you train for long runs on trail/fells- there are a lack of options in Sunderland outside penshaw

The steepest clamber I know in Sunderland is in Hylton Castle Dene....Its a lung busting, quad/calf/hamstring wrecking monster.....If you clamber up it you can then turn right at the top and do a nice loop to get your legs back before having another pop.....Its savage and much much steeper than Penshaw and with no steps.

Lovely walks in The Harthope Valley (Hedgehope is a far nicer summit than The Cheviot). Or The Breamish - lookup walks to Linhope Spout then off up to Hedgehopr summit. Also got Coquetdale where there is a nice 13-miler round par Davidson’s Linn, up through the woods towards Windy Gyle then back past Trows (where my family originated years ago). Humble Tom is a nice warm-up from Wooler. Yeavering is steeper but has a bigger hill fort on the summit where there is a cracking view across the valley to The Cheviot and Hedgehope.

Good info- some beautiful spots up there and a vast area - not sure where they start and end- just west of alnwick to Glasgow?
The steepest clamber I know in Sunderland is in Hylton Castle Dene....Its a lung busting, quad/calf/hamstring wrecking monster.....If you clamber up it you can then turn right at the top and do a nice loop to get your legs back before having another pop.....Its savage and much much steeper than Penshaw and with no steps.

I'm not legging round the dean mate, roadhouse might get me

Go from the river to the monument, nothing beats that in Sunderland.
Show off

How do you train for long runs on trail/fells- there are a lack of options in Sunderland outside penshaw
Head out of Sunderland. Lakes, cheviots, north Yorkshire moors.

Last edited:

Back