The Chestnut man

Very formulaic scandi stuff I'm afraid. Stoical characters, broken family, lead character with traumatic back story. Full of clichés. The blatant red herring and a ridiculous culprit. Not plausible for me. A decent finale and a creepy af motif but other than that I think this genre has run its course.

Very formulaic scandi stuff I'm afraid. Stoical characters, broken family, lead character with traumatic back story. Full of clichés. The blatant red herring and a ridiculous culprit. Not plausible for me. A decent finale and a creepy af motif but other than that I think this genre has run its course.
My and many others first watch of Scandinavian dramas I would imagine mate, defo got me interested in more!

My and many others first watch of Scandinavian dramas I would imagine mate, defo got me interested in more!

Fair do's. I've done the genre to death. Been obsessed ever since the Killing. You've got a treat in store if you're new to it. Try out The Bridge - it's the gold standard. Doesn't get any better!

Seen worse tbh.
Not sure if it’s enticed me enough to watch more from Scandinavia.
Netflix brings a load of others up but after watching all the trailers they seem to be very similar ?

I enjoyed it, thought it was well written and acted with some interesting characters. There are some tropes in there, difficult not to, and the reveal was a stretch but it was a drama at the end of the day.

The Bridge is excellent and possibly the goat of this genre but even that has borrowed from other dramas and you could say the main 2 characters were hardly realistic.

Back