The Championship

• Thread starter Deleted member 12618
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12618

Radio 5 reporting that more than half the teams in the Championship are paying more in wages than what they earn. Finances have been described as dire for many of these teams.
I thought there were systems in place stopping teams from doing this. So many teams gambling on promotion but only 3 will succeed. I think there could be many more big names dropping into League 1 in the next 3 years.
For all the excitement the Premier League has brought to football, I’d love to go back to the way it was in the late 80’s. Am I alone in this?

Last edited by a moderator:

They can only make £39 million in losses across a rolling 3 year period iirc. However they’re now coming up with creative accounting to get round that - for instance by selling the ground to the owners etc. The bubble won’t burst until the Premier League goes pop though as there’ll still be enough relegated teams with parachute payments to make up the numbers.

They can only make £39 million in losses across a rolling 3 year period iirc. However they’re now coming up with creative accounting to get round that - for instance by selling the ground to the owners etc. The bubble won’t burst until the Premier League goes pop though as there’ll still be enough relegated teams with parachute payments to make up the numbers.
They just had a guest speaker referring to a Premier League team making losses of over £300 million per year. I remember getting ridiculed by a Liverpool fan years ago saying how rubbish we were compared to them. I think at the time we had £40 million debt but they had £280 million debt. I told him if we evened you expenditure and spent £240 million on players he wouldn’t be so smug.

Back