The Championship becoming Premiership 2

Top 20 clubs England/Wales in this order are: 1.Man Utd, 2.Liverpool, 3.Arsenal, 4.Chelsea, 5.Man City, 6.Tottenham, 7.Aston Villa, 8.Everton, 9.Newcastle, 10.Sunderland, 11.Blackburn, 12.Wolves, 13.Sheff Wed, 14.West Brom, 15.Nottm Forest, 16.Leeds, 17.West Ham, 18.Derby, 19.Sheff Utd, 20.Leicester. Maybe you can argue with one or two places, but I doubt anyone can deny this top 20. Sorry for putting Newcastle ahead of Sunderland, but, they are in the PL and Sunderland are in L1 right now. Can't get round facts like that.

Next 22 in no particular order: 21.Burnley, 22.PNE, 23.Bolton, 24.Middlesborough, 25.Huddersfield, 26.Stoke, 27.B'ham C, 28.Coventry, 29.Ipwsich, 30.Norwich, 31.Cardiff, 32.Swansea, 33.Reading, 34.Watford, 35.QPR, 36.Fulham, 37.Crystal Palace, 38.Bristol C, 39.Portsmouth, 40.Southampton, 41.Brighton, 42.Charlton.

My team Wolves are more or less neck and neck with Blackburn, and will soon be knocking on the door of Sunderland if they don't pull their socks up soon. No place for Bournemouth at all in my opinion in the top two tiers. So, if there were a Premiership 1 & 2, this would be the make up. And it might just happen, because I can see many a club going to the wall before we get to the other side of this pandemic. Even one or two of the top 42 might bite the bullet. Which means Bournemouth would likely sneak in, assuming they get to the other side intact. I would also try to assemble a professional 3rd tier of 24 clubs, and two semi professional leagues, one north division, the other south division. 24 clubs in each. It is also imperative that the money going into the PL via TV rights is cut drastically. Don't know exactly what it is right now, so I'm guessing about 85% with 15% going to the rest. Some guess work there, but sounds about right. Far too much. Should be no more than 50% for the PL. 25% for the 2nd tier. 14% to the 3rd tier. 6% to the two north/south leagues, and 3% to the rest below them - more or less. Clubs in the PL would have to rely a good deal more on gate receipts than they do now (gate receipts barely matter one iota, such are the huge sums from Sky and BT). This would surely shift the balance back to big well supported clubs like Sunderland, at the expense of tin pot tiddlers like Bournemouth.

Top 20 clubs England/Wales in this order are: 1.Man Utd, 2.Liverpool, 3.Arsenal, 4.Chelsea, 5.Man City, 6.Tottenham, 7.Aston Villa, 8.Everton, 9.Newcastle, 10.Sunderland, 11.Blackburn, 12.Wolves, 13.Sheff Wed, 14.West Brom, 15.Nottm Forest, 16.Leeds, 17.West Ham, 18.Derby, 19.Sheff Utd, 20.Leicester. Maybe you can argue with one or two places, but I doubt anyone can deny this top 20. Sorry for putting Newcastle ahead of Sunderland, but, they are in the PL and Sunderland are in L1 right now. Can't get round facts like that.

Next 22 in no particular order: 21.Burnley, 22.PNE, 23.Bolton, 24.Middlesborough, 25.Huddersfield, 26.Stoke, 27.B'ham C, 28.Coventry, 29.Ipwsich, 30.Norwich, 31.Cardiff, 32.Swansea, 33.Reading, 34.Watford, 35.QPR, 36.Fulham, 37.Crystal Palace, 38.Bristol C, 39.Portsmouth, 40.Southampton, 41.Brighton, 42.Charlton.

My team Wolves are more or less neck and neck with Blackburn, and will soon be knocking on the door of Sunderland if they don't pull their socks up soon. No place for Bournemouth at all in my opinion in the top two tiers. So, if there were a Premiership 1 & 2, this would be the make up. And it might just happen, because I can see many a club going to the wall before we get to the other side of this pandemic. Even one or two of the top 42 might bite the bullet. Which means Bournemouth would likely sneak in, assuming they get to the other side intact. I would also try to assemble a professional 3rd tier of 24 clubs, and two semi professional leagues, one north division, the other south division. 24 clubs in each. It is also imperative that the money going into the PL via TV rights is cut drastically. Don't know exactly what it is right now, so I'm guessing about 85% with 15% going to the rest. Some guess work there, but sounds about right. Far too much. Should be no more than 50% for the PL. 25% for the 2nd tier. 14% to the 3rd tier. 6% to the two north/south leagues, and 3% to the rest below them - more or less. Clubs in the PL would have to rely a good deal more on gate receipts than they do now (gate receipts barely matter one iota, such are the huge sums from Sky and BT). This would surely shift the balance back to big well supported clubs like Sunderland, at the expense of tin pot tiddlers like Bournemouth.
What the absolute fuck did I just read?

What effect would this have on us. Would it be possible that there will never be anyone promoted from the 3rd tier again. Or would the gap between Prem 2 and tier 3 become so large that promotion then sustainability would be even worse than it is now.
What's the likelyhood of it happening and if it does then, when. season 20/21 or 21/22 or is it years away.
It would break Sunderland AFC if the third tier became part-time/amateur.
Is it too early for a drink🥵
I'm not sure what you mean, if I'm honest. I can't see how renaming a division would have any tangible effect on the football played in it. Second Division, Division One, Championship, Premier League 2... all the same.

Wolves knocking on our door. 4th division as recently as the 80s, 15k hardcore fanbase, fewer years in the top flight in the last 40 years than wigan, can't even remember the last time they got to a cup final, never mind won one. :lol:

Can't argue with that except Blackburn , I wouldn't have them in the top 20.

What the absolute fuck did I just read?
What you read baby, is the top 20 clubs in England/Wales, of which Sunderland are top 10. And the next 22 top clubs - in my view. The rest is all speculation. The headline of this thread is 'The Championship becoming Premiership 2'. If Sunderland are outside the top two tiers, it may be bye bye Sunderland - for ever. And that is a long long time! Hence, they, and several others may be invited to help reform the leagues if things get really bad and a recovery begins. No skin off my nose if Sunderland are ignored. But a tragedy if that were to occur. There may be a possibility you have to restart with what you got left. If it gets to that, just hope Sunderland will be in the picture. And my Wolves. Nothing is guaranteed.
Can't argue with that except Blackburn , I wouldn't have them in the top 20.
Well, three league titles (one PL title), six FA Cup wins, one League Cup, founder member of the Football League. Maybe you can argue not 11th, but difficult to argue not deserving of top 20 place. Current and recent predicament crap, but as a Wolves fan, the 80s were a dark dark period for us and I don't think anyone would have had us in the top 20 around the darkest of the darkest, i.e.1986.

Last edited:

Back