The Cavalier pub Silksworth.

Last time I was in was in the Summer, ordered my drinks and the card machine kept loosing connection ended up having to transfer the lass behind the bar the money to her bank account.

They weren’t serving food, the play area was a death trap and the grass in the beer garden was all overgrown.
TBF, you wouldn’t invest in it if you knew there was a sudsy coming.

Ironically with all the other new housing being built there it could have had a positive impact on the Cavalier and brought in a fair few new customers. It's biggest problem is it's tucked out the way and you have to trek to get there (not even a path on the side of the road it's on either).

It used to do really well as a food place and that wouldve been a better focus for it than just being mainly a bar but Id imagine with a lot of new buildings next door it might have picked up some.
Aye.
Its been surrounded by fields for thousands of years. The fields being built on trigger a planning application for it to be knocked down. Shows the owner nivver had any interest in making a go of it.
Not really the road marra - there's some right useless tw@ts that drive along it sometimes.
Karens in their 4X4's who think that their car is as wide as a bus going over the white lines and causing oncoming traffic to stop/slow down.
That road and the Hope Road have barely changed since the 60s when all they did was service Silky which back then wont have been a world leader in car ownership. Now they are servicing Silky, Doxy, Moorside, Chapelgarth, Hall Farm plus the more recent estates off Hall Farm Road and all the workers at Doxy Park office area and the hundreds of houses behind Moorside and Chapelgarth. There’s also hundreds being built down Burton Lane towards Ryhope. Fuckin madness.

Last edited:
Aye but the point is to make those shit areas better. It's ridiculous that they have surrounded the town centre full of loads of shitholes and should be trying to rectify that for the good of the city.

I get that it's not an easy problem to solve but it should be a clear focus to clean up Hendon/East End and parts of Ashbrook and Chester/Hylton Road to make the town centre more vibrant even if they just have to inch their way outwards.

As I said early an estate that's slap band in the middle of the town centre, the riverside and the seafront/beach should be a goldmine.

I know they aren't as bad as He don but it's hardly a like Farra, Silky, Thorney and Plainsy are affulent areas as well. Obviously people do it but it's canny mad you can buy a new house in those places for 250/300k and then a house round the corner for a third of the price and the new ones aren't particularly that much better.

I'm not trying to be offensive here but.

Places like Hendon need to exist as there's always a group of the population who are unpleasant to put it politely and you need a place for them. If you gentrified Hendon all you'll do is shift the people out of there and turn somewhere else which is nice currently a dive. Then you just go around in circles wrecking communities shifting the problem around until it because a homeless problem instead.

Every city or large town has one whether that's Hendon in Sunderland, The Ridges (Meadowwell) in North Shields, Moss side in Manchester, Brambles Farm in Middlesbrough and so on. Sheepfolds and to the North is where it should be focused imo and it's where they are doing.

The areas they should be focused on though is Marley Pots and up that side for redevelopment as with some work it could be easily turned around as the housing stock isn't too bad. Sadly the majority of terraced rows need clearing as they're not fit for purpose and that's pretty much everywhere in the North East whether it's Ashington, Blyth, Easington Colliery, Benwell, Bishop Auckland and so on as they're not fit for purpose/desirable and a lot of them are now dives.

Places like Hendon need to exist as there's always a group of the population who are unpleasant to put it politely and you need a place for them. If you gentrified Hendon all you'll do is shift the people out of there and turn somewhere else which is nice currently a dive. Then you just go around in circles wrecking communities shifting the problem around until it because a homeless problem instead.

Every city or large town has one whether that's Hendon in Sunderland, The Ridges (Meadowwell) in North Shields, Moss side in Manchester, Brambles Farm in Middlesbrough and so on. Sheepfolds and to the North is where it should be focused imo and it's where they are doing.

The areas they should be focused on though is Marley Pots and up that side for redevelopment as with some work it could be easily turned around as the housing stock isn't too bad. Sadly the majority of terraced rows need clearing as they're not fit for purpose and that's pretty much everywhere in the North East whether it's Ashington, Blyth, Easington Colliery, Benwell, Bishop Auckland and so on as they're not fit for purpose/desirable and a lot of them are now dives.
Aye but Hendon and the East End is on the city centre so by being so close ends up effecting that and making it also a bit of a shithole full of wankers kicking about.

Marley Potts isnt near anything, it's shot for the decnet folk living there but the wankers who are there are at least a fair bit out of the way of places most of the city folk use.

Aye but Hendon and the East End is on the city centre so by being so close ends up effecting that and making it also a bit of a shithole full of wankers kicking about.

Marley Potts isnt near anything, it's shot for the decnet folk living there but the wankers who are there are at least a fair bit out of the way of places most of the city folk use.

Aye I get what your saying and don't disagree but it's really hard to shift bad communities.

Like realistically where could you move them without it causing bother elsewhere. It's just shame it's so close to the centre tbh.

It doesn't help that people don't really want to live in the centre either and would rather live on the outskirts near the A19.

Awful what has been done to Ryhope and worse is still to come. The land of my childhood open fields, tress, open spaces, wildlife etc is gone.

Awful isn't it. It's the same up here. North Tyneside and Newcastle CC seem to have a planning structure lately of only build houses on the green belt and ignore anywhere else.

Some the plans are horrific like Murton Gap and the Great Park. I know Ponteland are going off it as they're getting swamped into Newcastle. Luckily Northumberland seem to respect it more.

Last edited:
Hang on aren't folk complaining about lack of housing?

This is the issue people complain about lack of housing. In an ideal world city centre apartment living would be desirable in places i the north east but houses prices mean that apartment and city centre living just isn’t attractive, therefore green belt get built on. I do wonder as an experiment if they banned all housing (detached/semi) building and permitted only high rise development what the effect might be on house prices.

Whilst I see your point, the problem is , if you pool all the so called unpleasant people together, and not all of them are unpleasant, some just down on their luck, it could happen to anyone of us, then they tend to become more unpleasant and therefore more of a drain on societies resources. I lived near Hendon for awhile and I noticed most of the residents seemed to be old men or single parents( women) a recipe for social disaster. Mix people up a bit, good with bad, and the good tends to win the day, with the good raising the bar, and helping the unpleasant raise their game. Putting them all together doesn't work and giving up on them doesn't work. The problem we have in the UK. that you allude to. is we tend to gentrify these areas, and move them elsewhere, usually on the outskirts of town, which is even worse for them. Invest in Hendon, gentrify it by all means, but have a social mix of people. Problem is there is no money for UK developers in that, and therein lies the problem.

canny detached house up for sale next to it, only £289k , they must have concerns about the development

Canny that like. The upstairs landing seems slightly excessive mind.

canny detached house up for sale next to it, only £289k , they must have concerns about the development

Canny that like. The upstairs landing seems slightly excessive mind.

The driveway exits onto the main road running past the Cavalier. Nightmare to get out of as it’s in a partially blind bend. Otherwise quite a grand location.

Whilst I see your point, the problem is , if you pool all the so called unpleasant people together, and not all of them are unpleasant, some just down on their luck, it could happen to anyone of us, then they tend to become more unpleasant and therefore more of a drain on societies resources. I lived near Hendon for awhile and I noticed most of the residents seemed to be old men or single parents( women) a recipe for social disaster. Mix people up a bit, good with bad, and the good tends to win the day, with the good raising the bar, and helping the unpleasant raise their game. Putting them all together doesn't work and giving up on them doesn't work. The problem we have in the UK. that you allude to. is we tend to gentrify these areas, and move them elsewhere, usually on the outskirts of town, which is even worse for them. Invest in Hendon, gentrify it by all means, but have a social mix of people. Problem is there is no money for UK developers in that, and therein lies the problem.

Agreed and whilst it might not always help the parents it may also help raise the children’s aspirations. The other side of the coin tends to be those people who have bought a house on the estate resenting people living in a similar house to them but paying less.

Don't agree there. Areas which were full of good people (eg: Pallion) were slowly infected by scum. The area went down not up. Litter, graffiti, thieving. Good people either give up or leave. Happens all over unfortunately.

Last edited:

Back