The Cavalier pub Silksworth.

I'm not trying to be offensive here but.

Places like Hendon need to exist as there's always a group of the population who are unpleasant to put it politely and you need a place for them. If you gentrified Hendon all you'll do is shift the people out of there and turn somewhere else which is nice currently a dive. Then you just go around in circles wrecking communities shifting the problem around until it because a homeless problem instead.

Every city or large town has one whether that's Hendon in Sunderland, The Ridges (Meadowwell) in North Shields, Moss side in Manchester, Brambles Farm in Middlesbrough and so on. Sheepfolds and to the North is where it should be focused imo and it's where they are doing.

The areas they should be focused on though is Marley Pots and up that side for redevelopment as with some work it could be easily turned around as the housing stock isn't too bad. Sadly the majority of terraced rows need clearing as they're not fit for purpose and that's pretty much everywhere in the North East whether it's Ashington, Blyth, Easington Colliery, Benwell, Bishop Auckland and so on as they're not fit for purpose/desirable and a lot of them are now dives.
I agree with the 1st bit you say but marley pots and the surrounding areas are probably worse than hendon atm

Of course there's a lot of good folk there aswel

Whilst I see your point, the problem is , if you pool all the so called unpleasant people together, and not all of them are unpleasant, some just down on their luck, it could happen to anyone of us, then they tend to become more unpleasant and therefore more of a drain on societies resources. I lived near Hendon for awhile and I noticed most of the residents seemed to be old men or single parents( women) a recipe for social disaster. Mix people up a bit, good with bad, and the good tends to win the day, with the good raising the bar, and helping the unpleasant raise their game. Putting them all together doesn't work and giving up on them doesn't work. The problem we have in the UK. that you allude to. is we tend to gentrify these areas, and move them elsewhere, usually on the outskirts of town, which is even worse for them. Invest in Hendon, gentrify it by all means, but have a social mix of people. Problem is there is no money for UK developers in that, and therein lies the problem.

Aye I get what your saying but I'm not sure it really works.

What usually happens is the unpleasant turn up to somewhere and act like bellends then the whole community just evicts them from the area and they go round in circles with no-one wanting them. It happened up this way in the 90's with Meadowell Riots which resulted in them having to pretty much put the whole estate all over the area. At the time it dragged quite a few places right down in the pot like Shiremoor in particular.

30 years later, Shiremoor is back how it was, all the nice people in Meadowell from the 90's got a break free and are now living in nicer areas and have fit in. There's a few local and they're lovely. Meadowell, it got redeveloped but all the wrong'uns returned and it's worse than it's ever been and an outright no go zone still and areas around it are just as bad Percy Main / North Shields centre in particular as the legacy of the shifted have dragged them down.

Could imagine the same with Hendon if it happened, no doubt sinking somewhere like Silksworth, Grangetown or Southwick down to the complete pits. Southwick is a bit iffy as it is especially with Marley Pots on the doorstep which is already a problem.

I agree with the 1st bit you say but marley pots and the surrounding areas are probably worse than hendon atm

Of course there's a lot of good folk there aswel

Aye ano, I was just saying it's arguably a place you could turn around better as the housing isn't too bad. Semi detached and that, I know there's been a few places in Northumberland that we're similar 30 year or so and they're not too bad some of them nowadays.

Thing is a lot of younguns who are first time buyers now want to move straight into their brand new built dream home. It means areas that are ideal for first homes such as terraced houses and flats are getting neglected, or given for social housing. Silky has gone down hill a bit since doxy was pulled down and I can imagine it and Ryhope getting worse the more new homes they build around there.

Thing is a lot of younguns who are first time buyers now want to move straight into their brand new built dream home. It means areas that are ideal for first homes such as terraced houses and flats are getting neglected, or given for social housing. Silky has gone down hill a bit since doxy was pulled down and I can imagine it and Ryhope getting worse the more new homes they build around there.

tbf I'm not sure it's about new houses, I wouldn't touch one personally and nor would a few people I know. It's more the lack of gardens which is the killer for them and the the awful layout bathroom through kitchen etc plus damp issues etc that they're quite often riddled with.

Half of them are borderline slums nowadays really and need pulling down but there's not the money or interest to do it. Any money spent on them is just polishing a turd imo. Ideally what they should be doing is rebuilding them like they are in Saltwell like here - Google Maps. They look canny imo.

It's went massively downhill in the last 10 year or so. Nice streets which were all privately bought now have a few wronguns in, rubbish seems to be everywhere. I agree, in 10 years it'll be a right shithole as the new builds and estates are more desired.

Aye.
Its been surrounded by fields for thousands of years. The fields being built on trigger a planning application for it to be knocked down. Shows the owner nivver had any interest in making a go of it.

That road and the Hope Road have barely changed since the 60s when all they did was service Silky which back then wont have been a world leader in car ownership. Now they are servicing Silky, Doxy, Moorside, Chapelgarth, Hall Farm plus the more recent estates off Hall Farm Road and all the workers at Doxy Park office area and the hundreds of houses behind Moorside and Chapelgarth. There’s also hundreds being built down Burton Lane towards Ryhope. Fuckin madness.
You like me will remember when all that existed in that neck of the woods was Vicarage Close - the posh houses ;) compared to the rest of silky. It was almost rural - even had a reservoir up the top.

What gets me about the whole debate on housing is people being described as "scum". We need to find out why they have become "scum". Many of us had upbringings in which our parents didn't have a lot and many of us lived in areas which people now describe as scum areas. It's a sad state of affairs. I don't get that social or council housing should breed scum as many of us have come from that background ourselves - and most certainly weren't. I guess there is just a general malaise in societal and family values nowadays. I think I know which fucker started the acceleration :evil: Far too many people look down their noses on others and are quick to lord it over those less fortunate than themselves, it's no surprise those less fortunate may kick back badly at times.
It's went massively downhill in the last 10 year or so. Nice streets which were all privately bought now have a few wronguns in, rubbish seems to be everywhere. I agree, in 10 years it'll be a right shithole as the new builds and estates are more desired.
My mam still ives on Vicarage Estate and she says things aren't how they used to be. There are less and less "Silksworth" families around. Her street still seems okay though, and was always nice from a council estate perspective

Last edited:
You like me will remember when all that existed in that neck of the woods was Vicarage Close - the posh houses ;) compared to the rest of silky. It was almost rural - even had a reservoir up the top.

What gets me about the whole debate on housing is people being described as "scum". We need to find out why they have become "scum". Many of us had upbringings in which our parents didn't have a lot and many of us lived in areas which people now describe as scum areas. It's a sad state of affairs. I don't get that social or council housing should breed scum as many of us have come from that background ourselves - and most certainly weren't. I guess there is just a general malaise in societal and family values nowadays. I think I know which fucker started the acceleration :evil: Far too many people look down their noses on others and are quick to lord it over those less fortunate than themselves, it's no surprise those less fortunate may kick back badly at times.

My mam still ives on Vicarage Estate and she says things aren't how they used to be. There are less and less "Silksworth" families around. Her street still seems okay though, and was always nice from a council estate perspective

The old adage that the majority are tarnished by the few certainly does apply to this. Having low income doesn’t mean poor morals or actions, but the good folk of these neighbourhoods tend to be quieter whilst the few who have been brought up feral tend to flock together and be a visible nuisance which bring the wider perception of an area down.

I had friends in Ford as I grew up and by and large the area is leafy suburbs and decent people. Then there were gangs who knocked around stealing cars and being general dick heads. The area wasn’t known for the better reasons.

See the usual Facebook radgies getting their knickers in a twist over this. A pub which they no doubt didn't frequent (don't blame them it's been shit since the 90s) closes and is lying empty will be developed but it's all Labours fault and there's backhanders going on. f***ing mouth breathers like.
Also FUMMIN at the fact it will be 'luxury' housing. Aye we should only build 'affordable housing' in Sunderland - if people want to upgrade they should fuck off to Newcastle and do it. No one should have any aspirations whatsoever here. Know your place people of Sunderland.

See the usual Facebook radgies getting their knickers in a twist over this. A pub which they no doubt didn't frequent (don't blame them it's been shit since the 90s) closes and is lying empty will be developed but it's all Labours fault and there's backhanders going on. f***ing mouth breathers like.
Also FUMMIN at the fact it will be 'luxury' housing. Aye we should only build 'affordable housing' in Sunderland - if people want to upgrade they should fuck off to Newcastle and do it. No one should have any aspirations whatsoever here. Know your place people of Sunderland.

It’s crazy isn’t it. People think the city is shit and want everything to change but at the same time comparing about any form of change.

Why people can’t realise that this is a proposal by the owners of the site rather than the council is beyond me. As others have said I’m sure they’ve put forward planning applications in the past for the site so it’s nothing new.

Same old shit.

Last went in a few years ago and it was shite. It's one of those places I subconsciously gravitated away from and forgot is there, even though I lived in Silky at the time.

There was five of us and despite having the restaurant to ourselves it took over an hour for our starters to arrive while the 'chef' propped up the bar cracking on with the barmaid and drinking pints of lemonade.

Main course took over another hour despite no one else coming in. Nearly burst out laughing when the waitress asked if we wanted dessert, couldn't wait to get out of the place.

It’s crazy isn’t it. People think the city is shit and want everything to change but at the same time comparing about any form of change.

Why people can’t realise that this is a proposal by the owners of the site rather than the council is beyond me. As others have said I’m sure they’ve put forward planning applications in the past for the site so it’s nothing new.

Even when something is a success, they still moan and rant on about it.

I.e yesterday the news came more money is being allocated to improving Roker Promenade.

Instead of acknowledging how much of a success story it's been in transforming that whole area from what it was, people were decrying it as a waste of money.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Gilley Law hunt setting away from the Cavalier.
It reminds me of the good old days of the Marly Pots hunt. We would always be able to ride down a straggler or two from Witherwack who had got on to the estate. Problem was if you had let them settle in you'd have a beggar of a job getting them out. We would always finished with a few snorters down at the Tram Car. Yaroooo!

Back