The Cavalier pub Silksworth.

Fair dos. But I didn’t necessarily mean the council need to pay for them, just that they give the go ahead and don’t seem to consider that the amenities are at bursting point.

The issue often is that the developments are given the go ahead with money attached to completed houses. A normal house builder will probably build 40 ish homes in a year on a scheme, so larger developments could take many years before various triggers are met, so facilities might not be constructed until the end of the development and not before the development starts.

There is also the issue that people complain about lack of school places, but often that’s because there isn’t space in their desired school, with some local schools being under populated. Whereas before people would just send their kids to the local comp, now people are willing to send their kids miles to get in the best schools.

In terms of doctors and dentists I’m not sure if its more an issue of the amount of people qualified than anything else. Could be wrong.
You'd think Gentoo would develop on those areas down there.

Big problem is the CPO process and the amount of capital tied up for years waiting for sites to be acquired and cleared before they get any return.

Last edited:
The Council? It's on the bones of it's arse - the Tories have diverted hundreds of millions of pounds of our money to their marginals.
Building on green spaces in the city has been going on for decades. I don’t like the Tories and they may have exasperated the problem but let’s not pretend it began in 2011.

Madness how many new houses are going up in SR3, the South Sunderland Growth Area plans are going to take up pretty much all the green belt around Burdon Road joining the development at Burdon to Chapelgarth. Doxy Park has new houses, Silksworth, and now a handful on the site of the Cavalier. And also the developments join Cherry Knowle to South Ryhope. I recon around 3000 new houses.

There are plans to add a new Primary School which is down as 'critical' in the plans, but i notice the retail and leisure centre is down as 'desirable', so probably wont happen.

https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/media...land_Growth_Area_SPD.pdf?m=636523936670970000

Last edited:
Building on green spaces in the city has been going on for decades. I don’t like the Tories and they may have exasperated the problem but let’s not pretend it began in 2011.
The 60s especially with all the Council estates built in the NW part of the city, TEF, Red House, etc.

Last edited:
Last time I was in there was during one of those little periods of respite during lockdown. I had to go in with a mask, sign-in, etc. and the barman was coughing himself inside-out without any kind of mask. I only had the one and then left.

Developers normally do pay a section 106 fee to pay for additional school places etc.

Everytime this sort of thing comes up, and people say, just build in Hendon/Pennywell instead. They ignore that people paying a premium for a new build don't want to live in those areas. So the developer needs to sell them cheap which means less profit & less incentive to build in the first place.

It's basically people who live in decent areas, telling others they should live in a shit area.
Aye but the point is to make those shit areas better. It's ridiculous that they have surrounded the town centre full of loads of shitholes and should be trying to rectify that for the good of the city.

I get that it's not an easy problem to solve but it should be a clear focus to clean up Hendon/East End and parts of Ashbrook and Chester/Hylton Road to make the town centre more vibrant even if they just have to inch their way outwards.

As I said early an estate that's slap band in the middle of the town centre, the riverside and the seafront/beach should be a goldmine.

I know they aren't as bad as He don but it's hardly a like Farra, Silky, Thorney and Plainsy are affulent areas as well. Obviously people do it but it's canny mad you can buy a new house in those places for 250/300k and then a house round the corner for a third of the price and the new ones aren't particularly that much better.

Last edited:
You'd think Gentoo would develop on those areas down there.

I presume they are a non profit but the same constraints will apply in that it’s expensive as fuck to get a site bought and prepp’d then there will be a low rent/price ceiling because of where it is. Building on a field at the edge of the city is easy and they are attractive to buyers. Tricky situation.

In fairness the developers probably can’t make a profit if they build in Hendon. The surrounding area is shit which will cap prices massively.
Got to start somewhere, places like Salford and Walthamstow were shitholes once upon a time, some would say still are, but they are now, because of development, expensive shitholes. Hendon though, like most of the rest of the NE, unlike Salford and Walthamstow suffers from lack of not just jobs, but good jobs, this is where the investment needs to be, if places like Hendon are to make it into the 21st century.

Got to start somewhere, places like Salford and Walthamstow were shitholes once upon a time, some would say still are, but they are now, because of development, expensive shitholes. Hendon though, like most of the rest of the NE, unlike Salford and Walthamstow suffers from lack of not just jobs, but good jobs, this is where the investment needs to be, if places like Hendon are to make it into the 21st century.

Agreed, high paying jobs are the answer. Gentrification of Sunderland is probably generations away if ever so as things stand they will probably need to keep building on fields, unfortunately.

Back