The cat and dergs?

Thats what i mean, reason i ask on here is because theres been a good few ppl ive mention the cat and dogs to, and they've never heard of it, under 40 like you say.
Ask them if they know where the cannon ball rocks are
The sea wall is another iconic, but overlooked part of the Roker beach scenery. It is a monumental piece of architecture/design whatever you want to call it.
As a kid, I regularly used to walk the full length of it along the ledge, from the Roker Park end almost to the Cat and Dogs, and also used to clamber directly down from the cliff top near Bede's Cross and jump about 8 feet from the sea wall ledge onto the sand (quickest route to the beach from Rock Lodge area).
Do kids (or even adults) still do either of these things? Or are there restrictions/obstacles/barriers to prevent it? I never thought it dangerous, although there were stories that someone once fell off from the highest point.
The deathy?

Last edited:

Named because that's where unwanted litters of cats and dogs used to wash up after being threw off the peer in the sad olden days

This ^^^^. Having killed the serpent, the Earl of Durham was plagued by cats and dogs which had to be pulled from his body and thrown into the sea.

Ask them if they know where the cannon ball rocks are

The deathy?

Yes - as young kids, me and my mates used to challenge each other to jump off it at seriously high parts onto the beach.

It's astonishing I'm still alive when I think about the stupid things I did when I was a young un!

Adding to the graffiti bit, many years ago some anti IRA stuff was painted along outside face at the top of the wall. Something like them being murdering bastards iirc. It was ages before the council got round to getting rid of it.

Back