The Bridges Sunderland city centre

Was in on Saturday and although it’s an issue for high streets/city centres everywhere there are loads of places closed/empty. The Crowtree Road strip, there’s next to nowt open.

Impressed with the Christmas food market in High Street West though, loads of places.
Unfortunately that’s nothing to do with the shopping centre
They can’t control top shop and Debenhams going bust

so your saying the town is better now ???????
It has less shops because of changing shopping habits not because of the city centre's architecture. The Bridges was built over 30 years ago when retail was at its height. It was better than was there previously. It's only in the last 15 years that retail has suffered a decline. It would have done so even if Walworth Way was still in existence.

Last edited:
Not like is will happen but a big Zara store would do wonders. It would have all the women coming in from miles to pay it a visit

It has less shops because of changing shopping habits not because of the city centre's architecture. The Bridges was built over 30 years ago when retail was at its height. It was better than was there previously. It's only in the last 15 years that retail has suffered a decline. It would have done so even if Walworth Way was still in existence.
All about opinions and I stand by mine

Not like is will happen but a big Zara store would do wonders. It would have all the women coming in from miles to pay it a visit

Haven’t they closed the metro centre store? Also didn’t last long in Newcastle either, so I doubt it.

Haven’t they closed the metro centre store? Also didn’t last long in Newcastle either, so I doubt it.
No they've just moved into a new massive store in the Metro.

Newcastle was only a really small store. Probably why it didn't last.

Back