The Bodyguard

Was quality :cool:

still waiting for the car to blow up at the end

I was half expecting something along those lines....

I was a huge fan of Poliakoff and Shooting The Past is superb but his latest offerings have been very poor. Almost forgetting what made him great in the first place.
Not television but Don Winslow has gone the same way. Wrote some fantastic novels but now he's allowed to get away with overblown cliched nonsense.

I enjoyed Dancing On The Edge but thought Close to the Enemy was initially promising but ultimately confusing. He loves a drama set in a grandiose hotel.

Last edited:

Honestly, do you think that means anything. You're totally missing the point of the exercise. Write a series, get the ratings, sell series on to other countries. They don't give a toss what we think on here, as long as millions tune in.
Of course they don't care what people on the SMB think, I never suggested they did.
I do however think that it is lazy to allow so many plot holes and there are people who are paid to ensure it doesn't happen.
The BBC in its history has prided itself on being held to a higher standard than commercial television. It appears that this is no longer important and it will result in a race to the bottom.

An argument could be made, probably on another thread or the politics board, that society is becoming dumber and will accept nonsense without question if they don't have to think too hard about it.

I enjoyed Dancing On The Edge but thought Close to the Enemy was initially promising but ultimately confusing. He loves a drama set in a grandiose hotel.
Dancing on the Edge wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as his earlier stuff and Close to the Enemy was wooden and disappointing on many levels. Maybe I have higher expectations of him but he seems to have lost a lot of the subtlety and I stopped caring about the characters. I used to eagerly anticipate any new series by him but now I'm not sure I would invest the time when there are so many other options out there.

Last edited:
Dancing on the Edge wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as his earlier stuff and Close to the Enemy was wooden and disappointing on many levels. Maybe I have higher expectations of him but he seems to have lost a lot of the subtlety and I stopped caring about the characters. I used to eagerly anticipate any new series by him but now I'm not sure I would invest the time when there are so many other options out there.

He seems to have a new series in the works, something semi-autobiographical called Summer of Rockets. Keeley Hawes co-stars in it.

For some reason, I always used to get him mixed up with Stephen Frears, who was on very fine form with his latest TV drama.

Of course they don't care what people on the SMB think, I never suggested they did.
I do however think that it is lazy to allow so many plot holes and there are people who are paid to ensure it doesn't happen.
The BBC in its history has prided itself on being held to a higher standard than commercial television. It appears that this is no longer important and it will result in a race to the bottom.

An argument could be made, probably on another thread or the politics board, that society is becoming dumber and will accept nonsense without question if they don't have to think too hard about it.

perhaps some of the plot holes are for the 2nd series

The holes in the plot were there on purpose so that people have to use their own imaginations to work out what might have happened. It was actually thought provoking instead of dumbing things down.

perhaps some of the plot holes are for the 2nd series
I'm not talking about unanswered questions like whether she is really dead or who is Vicky's boyfriend etc. I'm more concerned with the absolute ridiculousness of him being surrounded by police with a helicopter above then him leaping over a wall (that his lass needed a rope to climb down) and him disappearing into thin air. Short of them introducing a Stranger Things style magic portal, I'm not sure how a second series will tie that one up.
There's probably thirty or forty things highlighted on this thread that are just wrong or ludicrous and despite his heroic attempts at exposition in the final episode, none of it can be explained away.

The holes in the plot were there on purpose so that people have to use their own imaginations to work out what might have happened. It was actually thought provoking instead of dumbing things down.
:lol:

I'm not talking about unanswered questions like whether she is really dead or who is Vicky's boyfriend etc. I'm more concerned with the absolute ridiculousness of him being surrounded by police with a helicopter above then him leaping over a wall (that his lass needed a rope to climb down) and him disappearing into thin air. Short of them introducing a Stranger Things style magic portal, I'm not sure how a second series will tie that one up.
There's probably thirty or forty things highlighted on this thread that are just wrong or ludicrous and despite his heroic attempts at exposition in the final episode, none of it can be explained away.

You need to learn how to write proper fiction man, don’t be bitter ;)

Watched about 10 minutes of one episode and thought it was crap. He was braying it up some posh bird at the time.

Doesnt even look hard enough to knock the skin off a rice pudding

wasn't that where he lived, so he would know the area. he is purported to be very fit ex special forces and these guys are just daft. they do things than we would just look at and say FO.

but I get what you mean, just artistic license. same with the baddy cop on her negotiating skills, it was obvious then the route it was taking. also the thug giving it away with what type of round

at the beginning as well, they put women in important roles and then made fools of them, which I thought was rather uncalled for.

The bit in the 2nd episode when the lorry is speeding towards the school....every f***ing is screaming and running around and the teacher didn't even put her cup of tea down :lol:

I was a huge fan of Poliakoff and Shooting The Past is superb but his latest offerings have been very poor. Almost forgetting what made him great in the first place.
Not television but Don Winslow has gone the same way. Wrote some fantastic novels but now he's allowed to get away with overblown cliched nonsense.

Hate to agree - "The Cartel" (follow-up to the really excellent 'The Power of the Dog" ) and "The Force" were nothing like the quality earlier stuff "Frankie Machine, California Fire & light etc )

...and lets not forget Satori (the re-boot of the Trevanian 'Nicholas Hel' novels) which was also excellent
Now he's writing for a cinematic pitch to Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay

Back