The Bodyguard

Its uncanny man. it doesn't matter how good TV drama is you can guarantee loads on here will say it was utter tosh. Its a f***ing drama man and it was good, entertaining stuff. You don't need to dissect it too much. This, Line of Duty, Happy valley etc cracking TV but if you come on the SMB after an episode its mental.

Line of Duty was a Jed Mercurio series as well.

Why would the woman who was one of the leading skilled bomb makers be the one to blow herself up on a train?

Otherwise decent effort. I know there has been another series mooted as well.

Aye, but more to the point why did she not blow herself up and take out half a dozen coppers and/or a trainload of people when she had the chance to be a martyr? Apart from if she’d don that there’d have been no more episodes after the first.

There have been many much better dramas that got nothing like the coverage. I think the interesting thing in hindsight may be to study the marketing behind it and how they managed to generate such hype about something so average.

I was suckered when I heard a reviewer on 5Live say the first 20 minutes of the first episode was possibly the best television he's ever seen. It patently wasn't and he'd been told what to say imho. They've just done exactly the same interviewing one of the plod.

There have been many much better dramas that got nothing like the coverage. I think the interesting thing in hindsight may be to study the marketing behind it and how they managed to generate such hype about something so average.

I was suckered when I heard a reviewer on 5Live say the first 20 minutes of the first episode was possibly the best television he's ever seen. It patently wasn't and he'd been told what to say imho. They've just done exactly the same interviewing one of the plod.

I would recommend anyone who wants a good contemporary British drama should watch Black Earth Rising. 2 episodes have been on already on the BBC but they're available on iPlayer

I enjoyed it but some of the stuff was flat out barmy. The most wanted man in the country basically legged it from dozens and dozens of policeman when he took his suicide device off

One of a number of mental things that would never happen in a real life situation, along with marching him through the centre of London to get to his flat.

But it was entertaining and I enjoyed it. See where a 2nd series goes

That was bloody dreadful.:lol:
Possibly the most ridiculous television I have ever watched.
The dead man's switch taped down. Did not one person in the whole production crew think 'hold on...'?
Moved him to a park to avoid blowing up buildings then let him wander through the whole of London? The exclusion zone in that park was interesting as was the ridiculous notion that they would let his lass just loiter about.
There were hundreds of other holes in the plot and the 'big' twists toward the end meant nothing as everything was so ridiculous.

As someone mentioned earlier, the marketing obviously worked but I think there's also a discussion to be had on audience expectations. If people genuinely see that as some of the best television they have ever watched, it is a very worrying development.

I suspect, as happens with a lot of writers, Jed Mercurio has become so successful with Line of Duty, nobody dares challenge him and reign him in. He must be overruling editors who highlight the holes in his plot as the writing was atrocious.

The most comical thing for me isnt the plot holes. Its the number of wanabee TV crirtcis that we have who spend their time hammering good TV drama because they no best. It doesn't matter whether its:

Happy Valley
Line of Duty
Doctor Foster
Bodyguard.
Umpteen others

99% of people think they are cracking dramas apart from a handful of SMB TV critics who hammer them and them watch the next one compulsively, secret enjoy them like every one else but then go on and slag them off. You can punch holes in all of the above for not being real life (that's because believe it or not they aren't) it doesn't make them any less entertaining. The only thing with any certainty is those hammering it will be the first in the queue to watch the second series even if today they say they wont.

The long walk back to his gaff with the suicide vest on man :lol::lol:

Talking in the radios when they could hear each other :lol:

The copper woman (one of the worst actors) taking the radio to him, telling him to stay back and leaving it half way, so he then had to go half the way and pick it up, rendering the whole thing pointless :lol:

The bloke from the security services getting let out on a ‘court order’ despite being an enemy of the state :lol:

His wife turning into some sort of rock climber to get in his flat :lol:

The bomb disposal fella not diffusing the bomb too :lol: also, he said it was the same as the one on the train which took 2 minutes to diffuse, this one, about 45 :lol:

Just :lol: to the whole thing. Suspending belief is one thing, total and utter garbage is another. Jesus H.

Last edited:

It was a brilliant start to a series imo, by time the standoff was done you were half way in to the episode and gripped.

That was bloody dreadful.:lol:
Possibly the most ridiculous television I have ever watched.
The dead man's switch taped down. Did not one person in the whole production crew think 'hold on...'?
Moved him to a park to avoid blowing up buildings then let him wander through the whole of London? The exclusion zone in that park was interesting as was the ridiculous notion that they would let his lass just loiter about.
There were hundreds of other holes in the plot and the 'big' twists toward the end meant nothing as everything was so ridiculous.

As someone mentioned earlier, the marketing obviously worked but I think there's also a discussion to be had on audience expectations. If people genuinely see that as some of the best television they have ever watched, it is a very worrying development.

I suspect, as happens with a lot of writers, Jed Mercurio has become so successful with Line of Duty, nobody dares challenge him and reign him in. He must be overruling editors who highlight the holes in his plot as the writing was atrocious.

Letting his mrs get so close was another one, baring in mind they have recently split and she was noshing off another bloke before his side of the bed even got cold, he might, just might have been a bit annoyed about that and wanted to kill her. Taking him to a park that still had people running around. Everyone talking to him was standing in direct line of sight about 20 metres away. Not once did anyone try and get behind hard cover despite a man wearing a suicide vest, with a possible remote means of detonation, who they think killed the Home Secretary standing right in front of them. All the SFOs were likely to kill each other in blue on blue from where they were standing if they decided to shoot.

Back