The big match revisited

It had QPR on a few weeks ago and there was a big terrace behind one goal.
Must of been a 1976 match. Yet when i went there was like a 1960s double decker type there. When did they build that ?
And why didnt they build a fancy one like Norwich did , and Villa iirc.

And that funny mini stand at Stamford Bridge, just on its own to the left of the away end.

I did go to Charlton when they had that massive bank on the side. It was probably a third higher than the Roker End, maybe more.

Beautiful grounds then. Not aesthetically , but in the level of intricacy and you could see how different stands were from different decades.
Jim Gregory re designed the ground around 1980 and made it pretty much like You see it today , nothing has changed it
The double decker stand would be the South Africa road stand that was constructed around 1967

Corrigan wasn't in Jennings' class. He became a decent keeper but was very prone to errors earlier in his career.
And he was one of the keepers (such as Bonetti and West) who won England caps as cover to Gordon Banks when Montgomery was shamefully overlooked. in my opinion, Monty was only bettered by Banks.
Agree Monty should have been capped but Joe Corrigan never covered Banks he didn't get his first cap till 1976 4 years after Banks last played for England.

Back