The best supermarket red wine

I use it too. The prices tend to be too high on average because people post restaurant prices too, so take them with a pinch of salt (the prices)

Probably right, but tbh the wines I'm buying are not normally good enough to be sold in restaurants.
It's great for when we go to France, if the photo doesn't do it instantly they've got some bloke locked in a room somewhere who looks it up manually for you.
I use decanter quite a bit, just Google Tesco best wine and it usually beings up a short list with taste scores next to them. I then look for the ones on it and take it from there. Had some absolutely brilliant wines as a result

Things are coming back now but it's very slow. I can taste brocolli and sweetcorn for example. I get slight hints from other things such as tomatoes as well but mostly nothing still. Just trying an Amstel now, avoided the beers I like and just got some of these cheap to check, you can tell it's lager but it's just fizzy and pretty tasteless as well. At least it's starting to return though but until it's back properly I won't be going near my ipa's or wines

How did you lose your taste - was it covid-19?

Last edited:

Probably right, but tbh the wines I'm buying are not normally good enough to be sold in restaurants.
It's great for when we go to France, if the photo doesn't do it instantly they've got some bloke locked in a room somewhere who looks it up manually for you.

How did you lose your taste - was it covid-19?

Yeah, tested positive over 3 weeks ago. I'm loads better than I was but still struggle with even light physical stuff such as walking round the block

aldi do get some good stuff

their Exquisite Valpolicella Ripasso is excellent ( and i know its not red but I am going to recomend it anyway, the Claire Valley Reisling they do goes superb with spicy food like a thai or vietnemese curry)

So much good wine in Spain. 5 euro gets you something that costs more than double in UK.
I don't know my onions but I've drunk enough over the years and especially this lockdown to tell you that when it comes to Spanish reds Ribera de Duero is the thinking man's Rioja.

Highly recommend Fattoria La Vialla which is based in Tuscany. It got recommended to me on here about a year ago and its fantastic for all authentic italian produce. Their Chianti 2017 and Reserva are superb, tend to win a lot of the awards and reasonably priced at 7-9 quid a bottle depending on what you go for. Just ordered a few cases last week and they arrived within 48 hours of ordering!! Their hampers at Xmas are amazing too for all your pasta, cheese, oil and italian meat cravings
Thanks for the heads up about that site, absolutely brilliant and you are spot on about their Chianti, lovely stuff.
Only trouble was that after thirty minutes on the site I had ordered £170 worth of food and drink!! It arrived in a week which is good going the way things are at the moment.
Didn't have to pay until the stuff arrived either. Will definitely order again 👍

Has anyone used these since Brexit? If so have there been issues with delivery costs/times? Planning a bbq in the summer and I’d like to order from them again. Thanks

No, but I would be interested to hear how it goes if you do.

Last time I looked it mentioned VAT and courrier handling fees would be payable on delivery and also the shipping costs had more than doubled so I didn't order. That was months ago though so things may have changed.

Tried this last night and would highly recommend for a supermarket shelf wine:

Logon or register to see this image

Really nice drop and a bargain at under a tenner (on offer can be bought for around 7 quid).

Feel free to post your recommendations.

Yellow Tail Shiraz is canny especially when it's reduced or offered at £6.

Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon as above

Tesco own brand Rioja used to be good but I'm nowhere near one the noo

Back