The best supermarket red wine

Has anyone ever done a taste test with red wine, I haven’t but it would be interesting to see what the results would be, say 5 or so and trying to work out from an expense perspective.

Tried this last night and would highly recommend for a supermarket shelf wine:

Logon or register to see this image

Really nice drop and a bargain at under a tenner (on offer can be bought for around 7 quid).

Feel free to post your recommendations.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (literally!). When I was in Myanmar they were making a push to become the main wine brand. Thought it was okay, nowt special. I personally like Lidl wines. There's a Primitivo from Puglia that I particularly enjoy.

This is still available in store I believe and in terms of value for money is the best supermarket red I've come across.

Has anyone ever done a taste test with red wine, I haven’t but it would be interesting to see what the results would be, say 5 or so and trying to work out from an expense perspective.

Yes I've blind tested all the reds available from a single variety from a single vineyard a few times and it's relatively easy to work out the cheapest and most expensive but difficult in the middle. Also your palate tends to get saturated. With different varieties it's much more difficult although picking the expensive one is relatively easy as they tend to be the most heavily aged ones.

Last edited:
This is still available in store I believe and in terms of value for money is the best supermarket red I've come across.

Yes I've blind tested all the reds available from a single variety from a single vineyard a few times and it's relatively easy to work out the cheapest and most expensive but difficult in the middle. Also your palate tends to get saturated. With different varieties it's much more difficult although picking the expensive one is relatively easy as they tend to be the most heavily aged ones.

Does that last bit just come from experience if you had never drank much wine would it be apparent?

Does that last bit just come from experience if you had never drank much wine would it be apparent?

Yea it's all experience. Wine is a hobby and I go wine tasting around the world a few times a year (or at least I did until Covid) specifically to try out different Pinot Noir and I bring a lot of it home.

You can pick up an appreciation of the different flavours after a few years. I'm completely clueless with White wine though and less good with other red varieties.

Yeah. I have actually done a few courses on it, with wines up to £150 a bottle.

you can tell the difference, but it diminishes after £40 a bottle I find

Went to several wine estates in Stellenbosch and tried some of the signature reds and I'd agree.You get amazing value with our currency vs the rand

Went to several wine estates in Stellenbosch and tried some of the signature reds and I'd agree.You get amazing value with our currency vs the rand

Stellenbosch is great. That's where I did my first tasting 12 years ago and never looked back. It's probably why I enjoy Pinotage and Pinot Noir so much as well. As you say South African wine is amazing value.

Stellenbosch is great. That's where I did my first tasting 12 years ago and never looked back. It's probably why I enjoy Pinotage and Pinot Noir so much as well. As you say South African wine is amazing value.

It's amazing like,you have these massive estates and small little shed types and can just go from to another. Spent about £40 on a pintoage I've yet to drink,would cost a lot more to buy from a posh merchant place over here

Yeah I've done a wine tasting a couple of times. Unfortunately both were in Germany and the red wine there is awful. The whites weren't bad mind.

Was going to suggest that very wine :D It was a recommendation off here (maybe you?) about two years ago and we love it - although it’s rarely in stock. Whenever I see it, I always buy at least 6 bottles (maybe why it’s never in stock!!)

Highly recommend Fattoria La Vialla which is based in Tuscany. It got recommended to me on here about a year ago and its fantastic for all authentic italian produce. Their Chianti 2017 and Reserva are superb, tend to win a lot of the awards and reasonably priced at 7-9 quid a bottle depending on what you go for. Just ordered a few cases last week and they arrived within 48 hours of ordering!! Their hampers at Xmas are amazing too for all your pasta, cheese, oil and italian meat cravings

Back