The best of the PS4/Xbox one generation

I am Boss

Winger
What are your favourites from this generation since there's not likely to be any more big ones coming out that won't be available on Ps5 and xbox x?

No remasters are remakes so you can't include TLOU and Skyrim etc. Nintendo switch games can be included and any PC games that came out between 2014 and today

Was quite difficult picking the order but for me the top 5 is;

The Witcher 3
The Last of Us Part 2
God of War
Dark Souls 3
Fallout 4

I was torn between Fallout 4 and Titanfall 2. Fallout edged it as it was the game that got me back into gaming after a few years out

Edit - I still haven't got round to doing Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima and based on reviews of both could end up being contenders

Last edited:

In no order out of the ones I've played.

Witcher 3
Uncharted 4/lost legacy
Red Dead 2
AC Origins
Borderlands 3

Loads I've not included cos I've not played them yet.

Tlou 2
Bloodborne
Gow
Ghost of tsushima
Sekiro
Monster hunter
Spiderman
Etc.

f***ing destiny ruined me.

In no order out of the ones I've played.

Witcher 3
Uncharted 4/lost legacy
Red Dead 2
AC Origins
Borderlands 3

Loads I've not included cos I've not played them yet.

Tlou 2
Bloodborne
Gow
Ghost of tsushima
Sekiro
Monster hunter
Spiderman
Etc.

f***ing destiny ruined me.

I bought origins a year ago but never played it. Finished Odyssey (inc platinum) a month or so ago and enjoyed it but felt like it went on too long and only pushed through to get the plat. Origins similar?

I bought origins a year ago but never played it. Finished Odyssey (inc platinum) a month or so ago and enjoyed it but felt like it went on too long and only pushed through to get the plat. Origins similar?
yeah origins and odyssey are very similar games, could have picked either or to be honest.

Full list of PS4 games I've played in order of preference. I wouldn't say there's a bad game amongst them but the first 6 were absolutely brilliant imo.

TLOU2
Days Gone
Witcher 3
God of War
TLOU Remastered
MGS 5
GT Sport
Project Cars
RDR2
Uncharted 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metro Exodus
AC Origins
Far Cry 5
Assetto Corsa
Dirt Rally
The Order

My choices are based mainly on multiplayer experience (It’s very rare I play single player games) so may seem a little different.

PUBG (still the most intense game I’ve played before they ruined the dynamics of it with smaller maps and bots. Finding yourself in a top 10 situation really got the heart going when it was first released)

DayZ (the learning curve is ridiculously steep and the game itself is very in depth. That said, once you get to grips with it, what a game it is)

F1 2019 (fantastic game for both casual and competitive play. Nice in depth strategy and set up options)

Resident Evil Biohazard (shit me pants)

Battlefield 5 (awful upon release but a very good game now with superb sniping mechanics. The operation game mode is also fantastic).

Bloodborne
Battlefront 2
Battlefield 1
Doom (2016)
Doom Eternal
Horizon Zero Dawn
Jedi Fallen Order
Mortal Kombat X
Resident Evil 2
Until Dawn

Basically games I've played that would score either 9 or 10 out of 10

Witcher 3
God of War
RDR2
Horizon Zero Dawn
TLOU2
Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy
Metro Exodus
Batman Arkham Knight
Spiderman
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Persona 5
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein - The New Order
Wolfenstein - The New Colossus
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Basically games I've played that would score either 9 or 10 out of 10

Witcher 3
God of War
RDR2
Horizon Zero Dawn
TLOU2
Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy
Metro Exodus
Batman Arkham Knight
Spiderman
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Persona 5
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein - The New Order
Wolfenstein - The New Colossus

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Both great shouts that I’d forgotten about

Battlefield 1
Fallout 4
GTA V
Subnautica - Haven't seen this mentioned. Very good indie survival game with little help provided.
PUBG - Most intense heart attack inducing game at the end ever made.
RDR2
Mount & Blade - War band - Appreciate this is an old PC game, but found it fantastic no matter how terrible the graphics are and was a first release for Xbox One.

A good case for putting Code Vein in which I forgot about. Got the plat on PS4 and all achievements on xbox. The best "souls like" game available. Lose points for the update which nerfed magic builds and made the game less fun

Will probably add Ghost of Tsushima when finished. Only just got into act two after clearing everything from the first section. One of the few games where I enjoy the side stuff.

GTA V was last gen wasn’t it? It was on 360 right near the end of that lifecycle. Either way, that game has a stupid lifetime.

Last edited:
On the Xbox definitely Red Dead 2 and the Witcher 3. Gears of War and Halo have gone down hill badly on the current gen. Hoping Halo 6 is a return to excellence on the next console.

Back