The best drummer of all time

I think someone needs to mention the Funk greats like Jabo Starks and Clyde Stubblefield and also Bernard Purdie. There`s nothing quite like a Funk groove to get things going.

Chris, I really enjoyed it. Obviously Downey was exceptional and was a joy to watch. The band too did a great job of doing the music. The vocalist/bassist had Lynott`s style and presence pretty well nailed too. I got to interview Downey before the show and then spoke to him afterwards and he`s a seriously nice bloke. In fact all of the ex-Lizzy players I`ve interviewed over the years (Scott Gorham, Snowy White, John Sykes, Darren Wharton) have all been exceptionally friendly. I`d love top catch up with Robbo at some point but he doesn`t seem to be doing anything any more. I think they1ll be coming back next year as the turn out has been excellent so try and catch them then.

Ah good to hear ....i was gonna go but the wife had went and got tickets for Wicked and as we hadnt been out together for yonks i couldnt not go with her. Good to hear there was a decent attendance.

Seen Gary live a couple of times with the Thins quality.

thats good given that he was only wi th lizzy a few months on both his two stints in the band. Did you see him on the Black Rose tour and or when he played for them as a 3 piece ?

Good call

I dont rate him . Hes bog standard and there is little in Queens repertoire that shows him as anything other than average imo. "We will rock you" being the classic example

A definite yes to that. I`ve not seen them do that before and it was always regarded as one of their earliest classics but for some reason they stopped playing it even when the band got back with John Sykes and then Ricky Warwick/Damon Johnson, they never played it. I did make a pitch for Renegade when I interviewed Brian before the show. I always loved that one but it seems to be something of an overlooked song from a very underrated album.

i think Downeys band concentrate on all the stuff up to Live and Dangerous rather than anything afterwards ie classic Robbo \ Gorham Lizzy plus some Eric Bell stuff.
pity in a way cos BD did some great work on later tracks eg Chinatown

Last edited:
Ah good to hear ....i was gonna go but the wife had went and got tickets for Wicked and as we hadnt been out together for yonks i couldnt not go with her. Good to hear there was a decent attendance.

thats good given that he was only wi th lizzy a few months on both his two stints in the band. Did you see him on the Black Rose tour and or when he played for them as a 3 piece ?

I dont rate him . Hes bog standard and there is little in Queens repertoire that shows him as anything other than average imo. "We will rock you" being the classic example

i think Downeys band concentrate on all the stuff up to Live and Dangerous rather than anything afterwards ie classic Robbo \ Gorham Lizzy plus some Eric Bell stuff.
Saw GM on two gigs on the Black Rose tour.

Matt Helders
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A definite yes to that. I`ve not seen them do that before and it was always regarded as one of their earliest classics but for some reason they stopped playing it even when the band got back with John Sykes and then Ricky Warwick/Damon Johnson, they never played it. I did make a pitch for Renegade when I interviewed Brian before the show. I always loved that one but it seems to be something of an overlooked song from a very underrated album.
I thought the crack was that they're performing Live & Dangerous in full.

Renegade's a bit dull mind - I don't mind the record but there loads of other songs I'd much rather have in the set. Lizzy bands always seem to overlook the likes of Wild One* and For Those Who Love To Live - great songs.

*I did see them play Wild One on Lizzy's first tour with Ricky Warwick fronting the band, with Downey on drums and Viv Campbell on guitar. I think it was in there because it was one of Viv's favourites. It was outstanding and for me the best song of the night. Sadly by the next tour when he was replaced with Richard Fortus they'd dropped it.

Last edited:

I think he is worth well over £100m for being a 'bog standard' drummer so Im sure he would swap his lifestyle for your life in Bedlington :)

Back