The best decision you have ever made?

Maybe. But I wonder how many stick to it. Also thinking back to when I was young maybe I did hear it. But I thought more in youthful defiance?

If they didn't stick to it, and willingly or otherwise had kids, then your decision not to have them wouldn't qualify as "The best decision you ever made".

Also, flip side of the coin, there must be many out there who didn't want kids, only to make a mistake and end up having them.

If they didn't stick to it, and willingly or otherwise had kids, then your decision not to have them wouldn't qualify as "The best decision you ever made".

Also, flip side of the coin, there must be many out there who didn't want kids, only to make a mistake and end up having them.
Unless they decided not to have kids made a mistake and had a child, child is born and they hate it. They would say that it really was “the best decision we had made if only we had stuck to it” 😆

Telling my lazy wife I was going to divorce her. A bad decision in some ways because she went to Citizens Advice and they told her to get in first and divorce me, she did and I got stung.

No kids here, never wanted any, can't see the point of them except maybe to look after you when you get old.

:lol:

I can see how men may not be bothered but I don’t know how women can override their programming like that.
It’s not for everyone
I know lasses who wouldn’t consider having kids as they are perfectly happy without.
If ower lass had said she didn’t want them then I would have been happy with that too. I like having the bairn but you don’t miss something you have never had

I’m surprised by the number of people who’ve said the no kids thing. I only know maybe 3 or 4 people out of my hundreds of acquaintances who’ve chosen that.

I am the only one of my pals with that mindset. I’ll see them again regularly when their bairns are up but I guess that’s the point. I’ve no desire to make those kinds of sacrifices, it looks like very hard work.

It’s doesn’t count as a conscious choice until you’re over 40
Haha, not quite though i paid £1200 for my laser eye surgery, £200 deposit and £100p/m for 10 months. Was originally paying £35p/m for contact lenses.

All depends on how bad your eyes are really

Or how poor your math is 😉
This lot are quoting 3 or 4 grand though
I am the only one of my pals with that mindset. I’ll see them again regularly when their bairns are up but I guess that’s the point. I’ve no desire to make those kinds of sacrifices, it looks like very hard work.
I grew up believing there was only one life path - school, college, uni, job, marriage, kids, happy suburban life in Sunderland - and any deviation from that was a life fail.

It mostly worked out that way, although a failed marriage wasn’t part of the plan I grant you.

It probably why I have so much trouble accepting anyone making different choices to that.

Last edited:
It’s doesn’t count as a conscious choice until you’re over 40

This lot are quoting 3 or 4 grand though

I grew up believing there was only one life path - school, college, uni, job, marriage, kids, happy suburban life in Sunderland - and any deviation from that was a life fail.

It mostly worked out that way, although a failed marriage wasn’t part of the plan I grant you.

It probably why I have so much trouble accepting anyone making different choices to that.

My grandad told me on my 16th birthday (the last one he was here for) and everyone I remember before that to do what I wanted to live a happy life. He had a hard go of things, as most men of his generation did, but 42 years down a pit no one would choose.

I think he understood that younger generations have a lot more freedom of choice now than he did then and wanted me to enjoy it as best I could.

The best advice I’ve ever been given in my opinion, miss him still now 16 years on.

My grandad told me on my 16th birthday (the last one he was here for) and everyone I remember before that to do what I wanted to live a happy life. He had a hard go of things, as most men of his generation did, but 42 years down a pit no one would choose.

I think he understood that younger generations have a lot more freedom of choice now than he did then and wanted me to enjoy it as best I could.

The best advice I’ve ever been given in my opinion, miss him still now 16 years on.

That's a belter.

Why did you wait 6 months? Tell me to fuck off if you want pal. How old were you and your missus.

We went from kind of early dating with groups of friends and occasional one to one to more serious commitment I guess. I was only 20 and so was he. In hindsight it was a big decision but I've always known and so thought it was unfair not to say anything.

We went from kind of early dating with groups of friends and occasional one to one to more serious commitment I guess. I was only 20 and so was he. In hindsight it was a big decision but I've always known and so thought it was unfair not to say anything.
That’s fair enough. I suppose if you know you know. I had a son at 16/17 so I never really thought about it.
Ps. I should have known you were a woman by the name.

Getting married, building our own house, having kids - all good decisions, but what made them all better was the decision to move to Germany in '81.

Back