the best bit of bait you have ever had

I had a 20oz Porterhouse steak in a small family restaurant in Argentina, that was the best bit of bait I’ve ever had. I had a lovely Malbec with it too. I had a belter steak in Uruguay anarl, so South America must be the boyos when it comes to Steaks.

Best Fish and Cips for me = Waterfront chippie of North Shields Fish Quay.

Best Indian is a toss up between Spice Lounge, Durham, Millenium Framwellgate Moor, Le Raaj Chester Moor and Ala Spicery at Beamish. All first class.

Probably lobster cooked on a boat on Cuba. Everything about that day was magic.
We were on a boat/dolphin/diving trip, and the mister took orders for fresh lobster (also Cuba)

He dived into the sea with his spike and promptly delivered 8 fresh lobster to order, at £10 a pop

Never been but one of my best meals was a Neopolitan pizza in a restaurant run by natives of Naples. I'd say the closest in the North East are either Cals Own or Stable Hearth
Aye, good pizza can be made anywhere if they know what they're doing, amazing how many places make bad pizza.
I'll check out Cals Own

Samosas from a dodgie window in southall in west London is a place I could never drive past
A chicken Roti in Antigua in the rain break in 2004 causing me to miss hogarts last in his hat trick
A goat Pattie in harlsden is something I’ve tried to find again since and failed

Bacon and eggs with toast at my mam's house after spending two days hitching home from Brighton. I was at my lowest ebb, set off with a fiver in my pocket and whatever I could cram into my backpack. She sat me down, didn't bother me with any questions, and cooked me a breakfast.

There's a favourite restaurant of ours we go to when visiting mother in law in France ( Aux Fontaines in La Reole)
Always order the trio of duck which comes with fantastic Dauphoise potatoes...and their Leffe Blonde is ice cold.

Alternatively most curry, rice and chips from a Chinese chippy when pissed

I've had a long think about this and it's the cod father in camps Bay.

Most enjoyable however was the tuna sashimi I had off the back of a boat near Tobago. Been out of the sea for about half an hour. Dip in a hit of vinegar and off you go

Just for nice simple food, can’t go past Lau Pa Sat in Singapore, whatever it is you order. Washed down with a jug of Tiger Beer.
But my grandmother did a lovely meat and vegetable broth. Mrs K also does a chili which is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Back