The Best Best of/greatest hits

i quite like New Light Through Old Windows by Chris Rea - a reworking of most of his best songs. I think Nancy Griffith did something similar but I can’t recall the title. Tom Petty’s best of is pretty good. And whatever the REM one was. The Blue and Red Beatles albums obviously because the singles are in them. But generally speaking I tend to have most of the ‘best’ of the output of an artiste or band that I particularly like. Cos I got all the albums that the tracks were on.

Citizen is an anthology of all their studio albums over 4 discs .....much like Be Bop Deluxes Futuristic Manifesto ... their complete works basically so doesnt really count......but i agree with putting anyof their single or double disc compilations in there !

who mentioned Kiss in their list ?
Ah fair enough

I suppose it just shows the quality of their studio albums then eh?

Not necessarily.
I think some bands best ofs/greatest hits aren't necessarily a good album. Some songs work better in the context of a studio album rather than on a compilation of singles.
Was going to post this earlier but couldn't be arsed.
The first Nick Drake album I bought was a compilation and it didn't really hit the spot apart from a few songs then returned to him via the proper albums and now he's probably in my top 10 artists/acts.

Last edited:
Was going to post this earlier but couldn't be arsed.
The first Nick Drake album I bought was a compilation and it didn't really hit the spot apart from a few songs then returned to him via the proper albums and now he's probably in my top 10 artists/acts.

Good post.
Some greatest hits albums all fit together well and could work as an album. That's why I included Sladest in the OP rather than Slade greatest hits.
Same as Hot Rocks, came out in 1971 and condensed the best bits of the Stones first and best decade. Later best ofs, 40 Licks for example featuring stuff from the 80s and 90s has the feel of a compilation album and a lot more filler.
There's no fat on Hot Rocks, lean as owt. All killer no filler as they say.

Citizen is an anthology of all their studio albums over 4 discs .....much like Be Bop Deluxes Futuristic Manifesto ... their complete works basically so doesnt really count......but i agree with putting anyof their single or double disc compilations in there !

who mentioned Kiss in their list ?
You mentioned Kiss as liking their individual albums which deserves derision in itself. They had one hit which was utter repetition, can’t get enough, maybe not the song title? 2 mins of playing time is enough, sorry !!

You mentioned Kiss as liking their individual albums which deserves derision in itself. They had one hit which was utter repetition, can’t get enough, maybe not the song title? 2 mins of playing time is enough, sorry !!
That “hit” ( I was made for lovin you ) is not a true representative of their catalogue......much in the same way that “Whiskey in the Jar” is not representative of Thin Lizzy.....but thats ok....you dont like Kiss...fair enough , they are a marmite type band

Back