The Beatles

Was never fussed with the Beatles. I'm only 33 and whilst I know A LOT of their music I'd never really thought of it as a whole collection of music.

That was, until I watched that (rather shite) film about the lad who bangs his head and is the only one that remembers their music. When you see hit after hit listed than span the genre you really can't fault them.

Was never fussed with the Beatles. I'm only 33 and whilst I know A LOT of their music I'd never really thought of it as a whole collection of music.

That was, until I watched that (rather shite) film about the lad who bangs his head and is the only one that remembers their music. When you see hit after hit listed than span the genre you really can't fault them.
I rarely listen to them proactively now. I’ve got Anthology 2 on now because of this thread.

However, I used to be a reet anorak when I was younger. They’re like a genre in their own right.

I got into them in the 80's when they weren't very popular (mother and older brother were big fans). I bought up the albums when I worked in Newcastle and then went on to CD's when they came out! Bought vinyl bootlegs from record fairs etc. so became familiar with the outtakes and unreleased tracks (albeit in varying quality). I think it's easy to sicken yourself or numb yourself to an artist through over-familiarity. I certainly feel like that with the Beatles - I would rarely listen to them these days but that's not taking anything away from their quality (imho). I assumed the Anthology CD's rounded up most of the decent outtakes but the more recent expanded album anniversary editions have shown there was plenty of material (alternative versions) around still. Giles Martin has done a great job with these. I've enjoyed the remastered/remixed albums also, they give a much more modern listening experience I think.

I got into them in the 80's when they weren't very popular (mother and older brother were big fans). I bought up the albums when I worked in Newcastle and then went on to CD's when they came out! Bought vinyl bootlegs from record fairs etc. so became familiar with the outtakes and unreleased tracks (albeit in varying quality). I think it's easy to sicken yourself or numb yourself to an artist through over-familiarity. I certainly feel like that with the Beatles - I would rarely listen to them these days but that's not taking anything away from their quality (imho). I assumed the Anthology CD's rounded up most of the decent outtakes but the more recent expanded album anniversary editions have shown there was plenty of material (alternative versions) around still. Giles Martin has done a great job with these. I've enjoyed the remastered/remixed albums also, they give a much more modern listening experience I think.
The new Let It Be film sounds as if it’ll be brilliant for us who’ve got a bit blasé about the old stuff.

It's not something I've ever heard said about Beatles music tbf. When Phil Spector put the finishing touches to Let It Be that didn't work in parts but in 2003 they released that without Spector's extras and it was canny.

I think it was mainly Paul that didn't like Spector's production, I'm sure he was instrumental (no pun intended) in the release of Let It Be Naked
Martin was brilliant at inspiring the Beatles.
What heap of good music we would have missed out on if not for him.

Very much this ^ They would tell him what sound they wanted & he invariably delivered

Last edited:
The new Let It Be film sounds as if it’ll be brilliant for us who’ve got a bit blasé about the old stuff.

Yeah, sure I read something that it may be expanded from a movie into mini series for streaming. I've seen the original Let It Be movie which always comes across as dark and dour - surprising to hear the new version is showing the recordings in a different light completely (the short clip I've seen looks good). Wonder if an expanded Let It Be album will be released like Abbey Road off the back of it?

i think they are the most overrated group ever, and the lyrics could be written while on the bog
she loves you yeah yeah yeah
(repeat over and over)

love love me do
see above

Last edited:
I was never a great Beatles fan, the music just felt too over-produced with too much big instrumental added.

However recently I started on Spotify ( I know bit odd 20 years late blah blah blah)

.....and there are popping up studio out-takes not on the albums, these are far superior to the album versions IMO, it seems like George Martin really did make a big mistake with them and now I understand better the fights Lennon and McCartney were having with him.
Over produced !? Nee way unless it’s Phil Spector

Yeah, sure I read something that it may be expanded from a movie into mini series for streaming. I've seen the original Let It Be movie which always comes across as dark and dour - surprising to hear the new version is showing the recordings in a different light completely (the short clip I've seen looks good). Wonder if an expanded Let It Be album will be released like Abbey Road off the back of it?
Three two hour programmes I believe

I think it was mainly Paul that didn't like Spector's production, I'm sure he was instrumental (no pun intended) in the release of Let It Be Naked

Very much this ^ They would tell him what sound they wanted & he invariably delivered
Yes, Paul was instrumental in releasing the naked album.
i think they are the most overrated group ever, and the lyrics could be written while on the bog
she loves you yeah yeah yeah
(repeat over and over)

love love me do
see above
She’s Leaving Home
A Day in the Life…

Ad infinitum

I listen to them at least once per week. I’m always finding something new

I listen to them at least once per week. I’m always finding something new

I probably do too but I rarely listen to an album right through (is more what I meant). I might listen to some outtake or isolated vocal / tracks on Youtube. I listen to their decent solo albums more at the moment (eg. Ram, All Things Must Pass).

Back