The Beatles

FootballFan

Striker
I was never a great Beatles fan, the music just felt too over-produced with too much big instrumental added.

However recently I started on Spotify ( I know bit odd 20 years late blah blah blah)

.....and there are popping up studio out-takes not on the albums, these are far superior to the album versions IMO, it seems like George Martin really did make a big mistake with them and now I understand better the fights Lennon and McCartney were having with him.

I was never a great Beatles fan, the music just felt too over-produced with too much big instrumental added.

However recently I started on Spotify ( I know bit odd 20 years late blah blah blah)

.....and there are popping up studio out-takes not on the albums, these are far superior to the album versions IMO, it seems like George Martin really did make a big mistake with them and now I understand better the fights Lennon and McCartney were having with him.
And the rest 😄

Which songs are you talking about when you say they're over produced?

It's not something I've ever heard said about Beatles music tbf. When Phil Spector put the finishing touches to Let It Be that didn't work in parts but in 2003 they released that without Spector's extras and it was canny.

maybe was him I was thinking about not Martin, anyhow these studio versions are class.

What I will do later is compare them to the album versions

Remembering they were working with 4 track technology the production was amazing. Take Sgt Peppers - great songs but the production was almost like another element which raised it to another level. Similarly, songs like Tomorrow never knows and Strawberry Fields were elevated by how Martin and the Beatles were so sympathetic to each other. As I say given the technology the production was as way ahead as the music was. I see it as the direct opposite as the OP.

For me, listening to the Beatles is generally as fresh as listening to anything that is produced today. A lot of older bands sound dated but the Beatles don't, just like the Pistol's album. And the other thing that the production does is allow the Beatles individual personalities to come out. So, no, I don't think they are over produced at all.

Martin was brilliant at inspiring the Beatles.
What heap of good music we would have missed out on if not for him.

Exactly this.
Remembering they were working with 4 track technology the production was amazing. Take Sgt Peppers - great songs but the production was almost like another element which raised it to another level. Similarly, songs like Tomorrow never knows and Strawberry Fields were elevated by how Martin and the Beatles were so sympathetic to each other. As I say given the technology the production was as way ahead as the music was. I see it as the direct opposite as the OP.

For me, listening to the Beatles is generally as fresh as listening to anything that is produced today. A lot of older bands sound dated but the Beatles don't, just like the Pistol's album. And the other thing that the production does is allow the Beatles individual personalities to come out. So, no, I don't think they are over produced at all.
And this.

Any developments mate ?

Last edited:

Back