The Beatles - Get back Documentary

Saw stuff about it on the news this morning, looks interesting (I'm not a massive Beatles fan but there's no disputing they were one of the biggest bands ever). Wrote some absolute bangers, get back is a great song anarl.

Just watched it. I wondered after about 15 minutes how they were going to fill another 2 hours with this stuff (plus parts 2 & 3). But it just grows into a riveting bit of film, the dynamics of the 4 of them, the hangers on, and the way you hear great songs when they're just a few chords old and you know what they grow into. Looking forward to the next two parts, but I think you really have to have The Beatles as part of your mental furniture to really get into it - so won't be for everyone.

Two other things that struck me was how young they were - considering what they'd done up to that point, and the fact that although they were basically splitting up in front of you and just struggling to be together, after all that they went and recorded Abbey Road.

Really enjoyed it. George comes across a bit prickly in the first episode but can understand his frustration at not being allowed to flourish. Love seeing how songs like Get Back formed.

Just watched it. I wondered after about 15 minutes how they were going to fill another 2 hours with this stuff (plus parts 2 & 3). But it just grows into a riveting bit of film, the dynamics of the 4 of them, the hangers on, and the way you hear great songs when they're just a few chords old and you know what they grow into. Looking forward to the next two parts, but I think you really have to have The Beatles as part of your mental furniture to really get into it - so won't be for everyone.

Two other things that struck me was how young they were - considering what they'd done up to that point, and the fact that although they were basically splitting up in front of you and just struggling to be together, after all that they went and recorded Abbey Road.
Which is a miles better record than Let It Be.

I think that's the thing that many of the uninitiated don't realise though. They think Let It Be was the last record and therefore the last thing they done together, so it musta been a bad atmosphere. As you say that, the recording of Abbey Road came after.
Agree about the ages as well. It's quite frightening really to think that when they started recording Let It Be, John & Ringo were 27, and Paul & George only 25. It's quite unnerving that I'm less than half their ages at 35, yet they were so much younger then, and I'm older than that now. 10 points if you can see what I did there.

Last edited:
Which is a miles better record than Let It Be.

I think that's the thing that many of the uninitiated don't realise though. They think Let It Be was the last record and therefore the last thing they done together, so it musta been a bad atmosphere. As you say that, the recording of Abbey Road came after.
Agree about the ages as well. It's quite frightening really to think that when they started recording Let It Be, John & Ringo were 27, and Paul & George only 25. It's quite unnerving that I'm less than half their ages at 35, yet they were so much younger then, and I'm older than that now. 10 points if you can see what I did there.
Bob, but not a fan so unsure as to song title.

45 minutes in. I'm enjoying it, but don't think it's for everyone.

This morning I finished reading Solid State by Kenneth Womack, about the making of Abbey Road. This series is being billed as a doc about the end of The Beatles, but they went on to make another album much better than Get Back/Let It Be. The actual end seems, mainly, to have been due to taking on an American manager who negotiated a contract for them with Capitol. Paul didn't want to sign, John left in a huff.
Allen Klein iirc.
New York solicitor who McCartneys new GFs (Linda) family knew all about and told him to stay clear. He also got his talons into The Stones around the same time, the first band told the second how much “extra” royalties he’d got them after a few hours going ower there books. All he’d done is write them cheques from his own accounts and they thought he’d found them money their own people couldn’t so signed up with him as fast as their drink n drug addled brains would let them.
Klein now owns a huge % of all the stones pre Rolling Stones Records stuff by the stones. Silly silly boys both lots of em.

Sorry if anyone finds it boring but you're watching a band figure out Abbey Road, Let It Be, effectively break up and if you want some more see McCartney basically fall in love.

If that's not good enough then turn over
I’ve just watched the first two hours of the third episode. One bit is where they’re just beginning to work out ‘Something’ from a few lyrics and a first go at a chord sequence. It’s like watching actual f***ing magicians doing alchemy or summat😳😎

Back