The bairns homework

Well I would suggest that is the wrong attitude.
It is amazing to be in a learning environment. Grasp the opportunity to learn with your child as a great thing.
I was at my brother's this weekend and his 6 year old recited She Walks In Beauty and the 9 year old recited Dover Beach, after explaining a chess rule where a pawn can take directly in front rather than diagonally or something. Thing is I have felt for many years that grammar is not supported enough and neither is a love of learning. So celebrate this learning that is going on.
It is all useful.

It is killing the love of learning, that is my point....There simply is not enough teaching time to do anything but teach to the test now such is the mental stuff they want in the tests......They are learning to past tests at the expense of skill sets that they will be able to use in an array of real world
A maths teacher in senior school should know how to work out the angles of a triangle, end of.

No matter if it’s a parents evening or in the pub.

I was calm, polite and respectful at all times.

Not if you accurately quoted the conversation you werent, it comes across is pretty aggressive tbh and a pretty awful example to your child.

She seemed to be politely telling you should would discuss it at the appropriate time, why did you not call her at the time the homework was set if it was so important?

When you were asking her about the answers did you have the book infront of you with the equations you claimed were wrong there?

Again, you havent posted the questions or the respective answers that both you and she got so we only have your word that she didnt know how to work the stuff out and you do.....Is it not more likely that a bloke who said he hadnt worked these things out for years might have made a mistake where as the teacher who teaches it every day hadnt?

Also the days of ticks and crosses are long gone, if a teacher is going to mark a question wrong they generally have to explain why its wrong anyway (normally in a different coloured pen or 6).

A number of things about this story dont add up.....What it is smacks of tbh is you going to a parents evening determined to try and humiliate your kids teacher which is a little bit sad tbh.

A maths teacher in senior school should know how to work out the angles of a triangle, end of.

No matter if it’s a parents evening or in the pub.

I was calm, polite and respectful at all times.

I have to agree. Pythagoras is basic. So perhaps it really was that they didn't feel your question was appropriate?

I have to agree. Pythagoras is basic. So perhaps it really was that they didn't feel your question was appropriate?

Which it wasnt at the time, nor the way it was asked. Im not going to start delivering a maths lesson to a parent in a 5 minute slot at a parents evening when I want to discuss their childs overall progress

It is killing the love of learning, that is my point....There simply is not enough teaching time to do anything but teach to the test now such is the mental stuff they want in the tests......They are learning to past tests at the expense of skill sets that they will be able to use in an array of real world
I am against testing children too much but the content I saw there about participles etc was fine for the age group.

Maybe it is just my age and education leading me to say this but this seems to be a return to O Level standards and prep so I think it is great, really.
I used to love this shit.

Which it wasnt at the time, nor the way it was asked. Im not going to start delivering a maths lesson to a parent in a 5 minute slot at a parents evening when I want to discuss their childs overall progress

Well that is what I thought. My grasp of maths is ok but even I can explain the Pythagoras Theory and how it works and why so I have to assume a teacher could. This must have been a teacher trying to emphasise the importance of the discussion in hand.

Last edited:
I am against testing children too much but the content I saw there about participles etc was fine for the age group.

Maybe it is just my age and education leading me to say this but this seems to be a return to O Level standards and prep so I think it is great, really.
I used to love this shit.

Aye but you didnt take O level at 11.....There has never been this level of technical english taught before secondary, not ever.....It is not having a positive impact and is alienating large numbers of kids and turning them off education as they spend an entire year being drilled and drilled and drilled in English and Maths, not to gain understanding but to pass a test. They hit seniors and dont understand what they have learnt in any other context.

Aye but you didnt take O level at 11.....There has never been this level of technical english taught before secondary, not ever.....It is not having a positive impact and is alienating large numbers of kids and turning them off education as they spend an entire year being drilled and drilled and drilled in English and Maths, not to gain understanding but to pass a test. They hit seniors and dont understand what they have learnt in any other context.

That's what I meant by prep.
Personally I think Latin should be taught at a very young age, around 7, so I'm probably not in the same camp as you.

I have to agree though that if the teaching is just many numbers and not actively engaging the children then it is poor at best.

That's what I meant by prep.
Personally I think Latin should be taught at a very young age, around 7, so I'm probably not in the same camp as you.

I have to agree though that if the teaching is just many numbers and not actively engaging the children then it is poor at best.

Think kids learning languages from a young age is a great idea, see little value in learning an obsolete language though....I would have them learning French/Spanish from a young age though as combined with English they could converse with people from the majority of countries in the world. My focus would be on learning to speak the language for the first few years rather than writing it just as it would be with a child learning their native language.....I think we over complicate teaching languages (and bore kids to fuck) by teaching them to write a language at the same time as speaking it which slows the entire process down. Children dont learn their first language like that so why learn additional languages like that.....Get a good conversational grasp of the language then learn to write it.

Think kids learning languages from a young age is a great idea, see little value in learning an obsolete language though....I would have them learning French/Spanish from a young age though as combined with English they could converse with people from the majority of countries in the world. My focus would be on learning to speak the language for the first few years rather than writing it just as it would be with a child learning their native language.....I think we over complicate teaching languages (and bore kids to fuck) by teaching them to write a language at the same time as speaking it which slows the entire process down. Children dont learn their first language like that so why learn additional languages like that.....Get a good conversational grasp of the language then learn to write it.
Er, because you learn your first language(s) in an environment where you are immersed in the language(s) and at a time of your neurological development where your brain will absorb the language. Additional language acquisition is different to first language acquisition and needs different learning and teaching methods.

Latin has been proven in countless studies to improve learning and reasoning across the board.

Learning is just always good.

Bad teaching is harmful though as is over testing.

I'm a teacher and if a parent had an issue with a homework question I had set I would tackle it at parent's evening, for sure. It's not just to ask about your kid's progress, but to address a number of topics - at least at my last place it is. Just sounds like a teacher being a teacher, unfortunately.

More than learning any other language?

The studies I have seen have compared adding Latin in on top of core curriculum subjects which included modern languages or at a time when they were not learning modern languages.
In all studies across the board there were improvements. Again though these results are subject to query through testing which in itself can be an issue.

The way Latin works is very logical so perhaps learning Mandarin would have the same results.

I'm not necessarily advocating Latin so much as an openness to learning for the sake of learning.

The studies I have seen have compared adding Latin in on top of core curriculum subjects which included modern languages or at a time when they were not learning modern languages.
In all studies across the board there were improvements. Again though these results are subject to query through testing which in itself can be an issue.

The way Latin works is very logical so perhaps learning Mandarin would have the same results.

I'm not necessarily advocating Latin so much as an openness to learning for the sake of learning.
How about Esperanto, then?

I actually agree with @CatRyan. I didn't do well at school, i have done well since. I am trying to learn with my son so that I can help him understand easier. I don't want him to think he is on his own like I was. I try to set aside an hour 3 or 4 times a week for his homework. It's hard but as he is struggling in class I don't want him to be left behind.

I didn't agree with homework for 5 year olds but I think it helps take the pressure off teachers a little and all parents should do it.

People who get their adverbs wrong are much more dafter than the sentences that people who can’t do prepositions will. Or badly construct.

I’ve not took that from a book or owt.

I actually agree with @CatRyan. I didn't do well at school, i have done well since. I am trying to learn with my son so that I can help him understand easier. I don't want him to think he is on his own like I was. I try to set aside an hour 3 or 4 times a week for his homework. It's hard but as he is struggling in class I don't want him to be left behind.

I didn't agree with homework for 5 year olds but I think it helps take the pressure off teachers a little and all parents should do it.

I bloody swear inwardly when ours come home with homework - it's always shit like "make a model of..." Translation: totally homework for the parents to show off with.

Back