The bairns homework

5underland

Midfield
I know I'm not the only one pulling my hair out over kids homework (or what I have left of it), but bloody hell, this is a 7yr olds homework. I've had to use Google to find out about nouns, verbs, adjectives etc, I've not got a f***ing clue. I've never worried or even thought about stuff like this in years. In fact, I don't remember even doing that at school and I got an A at gcse(look at me, blah blah).
I've no idea how to go about explaining this lot to a 7yr old.

I know I'm not the only one pulling my hair out over kids homework (or what I have left of it), but bloody hell, this is a 7yr olds homework. I've had to use Google to find out about nouns, verbs, adjectives etc, I've not got a f***ing clue. I've never worried or even thought about stuff like this in years. In fact, I don't remember even doing that at school and I got an A at gcse(look at me, blah blah).
Why are you doing your kids homework?

What the f*ck are they going to learn if you do it for them?

You got an A in English?

You missed the possessive apostrophe in your title mate.

Over here yanks are obsessed with sentence structure terminology. When I was teaching at the university (not English!) I asked a student “where’s Kim at?” And she replied sarcastically “at the end of a preposition” and went on to say you should never end a sentence with a preposition. I laughed and told her I didn’t even know what a preposition was, and the extent of what I’d ever learned was noun, verb, adjective, adverb, subject and object. We just don’t (didn’t) bother with all that when aa were a lad!

You got an A in English?

Over here yanks are obsessed with sentence structure terminology. When I was teaching at the university (not English!) I asked a student “where’s Kim at?” And she replied sarcastically “at the end of a preposition” and went on to say you should never end a sentence with a preposition. I laughed and told her I didn’t even know what a preposition was, and the extent of what I’d ever learned was noun, verb, adjective, adverb, subject and object. We just don’t (didn’t) bother with all that when aa were a lad!
It is a little bit embarrassing tho being a teacher and being taught by your student.

The thing is it’s a very different working to the way we used to do their subjects, more than likely the same answers though , but well done you for spending time “ trying “ to help your kids and their homework because there are loads of parents don’t really give a toss ( just keep smiling and trying) :D

You got an A in English?

Should have sarcastically replied that we don’t speak French and that rules like that simply don’t exist.

That's easy peasy man. Wait until they're 9-10 and they have know and be able to use fronted adverbials, subordinated clauses, prepositional idioms and so on :eek:

These two websites are good:
BBC Bitesize - KS2 English
English Revision from Woodlands Junior

It will get much tougher as they get older.
Maths is a nightmare.
I had to get tutors for my two to get them through GCSE.
Best money I ever spent.

It is a little bit embarrassing tho being a teacher and being taught by your student.
Not in the least.

Nowt worse than those ‘ivory tower’ types who think they’re party to some secret knowledge and if you kiss their arse long enough they might just trickle some out to you, in a manner that makes them seem infinitely wise.

As a once and future teacher I’m more than happy to admit that I can learn just as much if not more from my students as they can from me. The teachers who don’t think this way are more often than not the worst.

Not in the least.

Nowt worse than those ‘ivory tower’ types who think they’re party to some secret knowledge and if you kiss their arse long enough they might just trickle some out to you, in a manner that makes them seem infinitely wise.

As a once and future teacher I’m more than happy to admit that I can learn just as much if not more from my students as they can from me. The teachers who don’t think this way are more often than not the worst.
Its weird to me like.

I refuse to believe you had to google nouns, verbs and adjectives like.

wait until the bairn throws the adverb curveball into the mix. Your head will explode.

You got an A in English?

I sent my recent book to my American pal to proofread and they were bringing up all sorts of things I'd never even heard of. I kind of wished I hadn't sent it once I waded through the plethora of comments. :lol:

Back