The Backpass

It was a backpass. Daft from McLaughlin, he should have just cleared it. As shite as the ref was, I think it was the correct decision.
The ref was awful. The linesman in front of the west stand worse.... so why did McLaughlin pick it up and allow him to make a decision. You could see McLaughlin hesitate. Easy game from up in the stands... but it was a poor split second decision by McLaughlin

Can’t believe we have Sunderland supporters thinking McLaughlin was at fault for that. Flanagan gets a toe on the ball and goes to try and a second touch to clear until he sees its run back to the keeper. Not a chance it was a deliberate back pass.
The ref was awful. The linesman in front of the west stand worse.... so why did McLaughlin pick it up and allow him to make a decision. You could see McLaughlin hesitate. Easy game from up in the stands... but it was a poor split second decision by McLaughlin
Because it wasn’t a back pass. He shouldn’t have to take a risk at launching it through a crowded box because the officials are inept.

Never see that given normally, and although he took it off the fella's foot, he did so in a very controlled way, wasn't a ricochet that the keeper had to dive on or owt like that. Not familiar with the wording of the law but definitely had a moment of doubt when McLaughlin picked it up. Still surprised to see it given mind, massive sense of relief when we kept it out.

Hhiqrbdiabckarntai hugest oh Sri stab air. At beak fak burb jar in nErik. Da k iarvi a
k. I iarbcarcijarib am Karin wis with unwritten wt
Hhiqrbdiabckarntai hugest oh Sri stab air. At beak fak burb jar in nErik. Da k iarvi a
FFS! This is what happens when a one year old grabs your phone.

Last edited:

FFS! This is what happens when a one year old grabs your phone.
It reminded me a bit, of the Chipper Club code, from when I was a young 'un :lol:

In your opinion. The way I see it, he knew what he was doing, he nicked the ball away from the player in the direction of the keeper. Had the ref not given it, we'd have gained a pretty strong advantage from a difficult position. The keeper should have simply smashed it away in this instance and removed any doubt/risk.
What you've described isn't a pass though is it?

Can’t believe we have Sunderland supporters thinking McLaughlin was at fault for that. Flanagan gets a toe on the ball and goes to try and a second touch to clear until he sees its run back to the keeper. Not a chance it was a deliberate back pass.
If in doubt knock it out. He clearly was in doubt, because he hesitated. Gave the ref a decision to make by stalling, imo the right one.

Not holding it against McLaughlin, refs usually bottle either way.

What you've described isn't a pass though is it?

What have I described?

Because it wasn’t a back pass. He shouldn’t have to take a risk at launching it through a crowded box because the officials are inept.

He quite clearly passes the ball back to McLaughlin mate. McLaughlin had time to clear it, he made a poor decision. Fortunately it didn't matter as they cocked up the free kick so no harm done. Happy days!

Last edited:
He quite clearly passes the ball back to McLaughlin mate.
It's the bit in the game, as in the video, where he clear-as-day passes it back to the keeper and he picks it up that settles it for me.

Fantastic timing and interception from Flanagans, and frankly a thoroughly enjoyable free-kick seeing it spoon off wide too.

Back