The Backpass

What do people think of that decision yesterday?

Normally the refs will only ever give an indirect free kick if it's incredibly blatant, I don't really see how this is an intentional pass. He just steals in and takes it off Will Keane's right boot.

On there at about 1:45.
Like I said at the match and on here last night I've seen hundreds and hundreds of games live or on TV and that type of thing happens all the time and yesterday was the only time I've ever seen a ref give a free kick

He didn’t intentionally pass back to the keeper like

In your opinion. The way I see it, he knew what he was doing, he nicked the ball away from the player in the direction of the keeper. Had the ref not given it, we'd have gained a pretty strong advantage from a difficult position. The keeper should have simply smashed it away in this instance and removed any doubt/risk.

In your opinion. The way I see it, he knew what he was doing, he nicked the ball away from the player in the direction of the keeper. Had the ref not given it, we'd have gained a pretty strong advantage from a difficult position. The keeper should have simply smashed it away in this instance.
For the avoidance of danger, doubt, and later debate that ball should have been in the river the minute McLaughlin saw it coming his way.

In your opinion. The way I see it, he knew what he was doing, he nicked the ball away from the player in the direction of the keeper. Had the ref not given it, we'd have gained a pretty strong advantage from a difficult position. The keeper should have simply smashed it away in this instance and removed any doubt/risk.
At the time I thought it was a back pass, and having watched it back, I still think it was - his intention was to play the ball back to the keeper.

For the avoidance of danger, doubt, and later debate that ball should have been in the river the minute McLaughlin saw it coming his way.

Agreed. That's how I see it, it was naive from an experienced keeper.
At the time I thought it was a back pass, and having watched it back, I still think it was - his intention was to play the ball back to the keeper.

Exactly.

Not intentionally whatsoever was that a back pass.

It was a gentle tackle sweeping the ball off their player not wanting to give a penalty away.

It went directly to the keeper out of pure luck imo. Great tackle btw.

Not intentionally whatsoever was that a back pass.

It was a gentle tackle sweeping the ball off their player not wanting to give a penalty away.

It went directly to the keeper out of pure luck imo. Great tackle btw.

So we should gain an advantage in that instance? It was canny flukey how it went straight to our keeper if it was unintentional...

It's not as if they both went in for a strong tackle and the ball went anywhere.

I think the way McClaughlin took a touch then picked it up made it look worse, if he‘d pounced on it or had to chase it, then it would have been different, got to be honest when I saw it yesterday i thought it was a pass, watching it back now I don’t think it was.

So we should gain an advantage in that instance? It was canny flukey how it went straight to our keeper if it was unintentional...

It's not as if they both went in for a strong tackle and the ball went anywhere.
I'm not arsed tbh. We won and that's what counts.

Rochdale up next. Another tough test.

Aye the keeper should not of he took a risk but it wasn’t intentional it was the only way he could get anything on the ball to tackle him

Back