The Australian Dream

dangermows

Striker
On last night on BBC2.

The inspirational story of indigenous Australian Football League legend Adam Goodes.

Great how he stood up against racism and highlights some of the deep racial issues in that country.

Tremendous watch.

Did you watch the Miriam Margolyes series in which she travelled around Australia? That highlighted a lot of good things about the country but also the issues that the indigenous people face.

Did you watch the Miriam Margolyes series in which she travelled around Australia? That highlighted a lot of good things about the country but also the issues that the indigenous people face.

I didn't mate.

This show certainly highlighted the racist issues in the sport. He got abused from a young lass, who got kicked out. He then got dogs abuse all around country. Another black player didn't show up for a TV slot. A blacked up whitey stood in for him, with everyone laughing their tits off. Loads of white people saying he brought it on himself because he's a black bloke making a boat load of cash and complaining.

Also showed the indigenous people refer to Australia day as Invasion day.

Last edited:
I'm in Australia now with work for the first time and there's a lot of hypocrisy around here when it comes to Aborigines. White Australians have this massive drinking culture but are always going on about them being alcoholics. And have this thing about Lebanese and Asian immigrants coming over , how did you get here by any chance? :lol:

Watched yesterday and was genuinely moved by it. I wasn't up on the history of Australia Day / Invasion Day controversy tbh so was a real eye opener what generations since have had to contend with. Goodes is a bit of a legend isn't he... superhuman sportsman for starters. Felt gutted for him, how the sport he loved and opened all the doors for him became the thing he dreaded doing most.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back