The A66

Probably but being selfish dueling the a69 would make my trips down to my mums a lot easier. Plenty of lorries on it as well. Would connect 2 big areas as well (West of Scotland and North East of England).

only save you ten minutes at the most , and those two big areas are already connected if you hadn’t noticed.

Any remaining stretches of single carriageway between Scotch Corner and Penrith will be dualled, I'm guessing that's what the OP is referring to?
mostly already done though. Finished about 5 years ago. There's only a few bits left. Good to get those done though, not sure why it wasn't done in the last tranche of works tbh

Can't be arsed arguing with someone on a thread about a road, especially one that's not going to be built! You have your opinion I have mine.

don’t argue , just do the maths .

from the A1/A69 junction to the M6 junction 44 is about 65 miles give or take .

Its mostly duelled to past Hexham , so the duelling will be the rest say another 35 miles tops , how exactly will you legally save more than 10 minutes in total ?

I don’t disagree that it’s not a fast road at the busiest of times , but dialling can’t make it actually that much faster in total.

For the record I’ve driven it hundreds of times over the years.

mostly already done though. Finished about 5 years ago. There's only a few bits left. Good to get those done though, not sure why it wasn't done in the last tranche of works tbh

There's about 18 miles of single carriageway left to dual, whole stretch is about 50 miles.

As somebody else mentioned this will include bypass sections in some areas like Kirkby Thorpe which is horrendous at the minute for a road that attracts a high %, of HGV traffic.

I think the A69 was considered for similar treatment but all the data supported A66 improvement over it.

Every road improvement scheme undergoes a cost/benefit analysis at set stages so no guarantees will be made yet.

I've been regularly travelling to SW Scotland for fishing for the past 30 years.

When I lived in Sunderland, I'd take the A1/A69. If you set off any later than 6am it was a fuckin nightmare. Its a terrible road, a disgrace given its the only route west from the vast vast majority of the North East.

Now I've moved to boro, I take the A66, and although not perfect by any means, its a hell of a lot better than the A69.

Should do the a69. It's the main route down from the West of Scotland.

Waste of time. Scotland will get independence, a hard border will be a requirement of their eu membership and they’ll refuse admission from the South to prevent the spread of vulgarity.

It is good news but would have been done years ago already if the Tories hadnt cancelled the dualling upgrades which were underway back in 2010. A read of their announcement shows theve only committed to the route, design, consultation and a further scrutiny period, not actually building it yet.

If people want it actually doing they’re gonna have to vote a few more tories in. This is just to tempt the gullible.
Nightmare of a road in the winter, get a bit of snow and its shut for 6 hours.
I use it every week I should know
Worked with a Manc years ago who got bored driving home on the M62 every Friday neet......don’t do it we said. Snowed in for a weekend in a community centre and pub. He loved it. He had to get the local cops to ring his local Manc cop shop and get someone to tell his Mrs that he wasn’t lying and wasn’t shacked up with some bird somewhere. She was his fourth wife so her fears were justified.
The only woolyback place up there I’ve ever fancied living was Alston. Retire and start a record/book shop (mail order mainly) “Higher and Higher Music & Books”. Put gigs on in a local boozer. I think most just starting out bands would be up for a gig in England’s highest town.

Last edited:

Back