The A1 through the NE.

Horse shit! You must fly about on a hover board

Like I’ve said in a previous post I drive it every week and in the most part there a no pot holes. Large parts of it are brand new in road terms. Also 3 lanes. I’ll agree when it goes down to 2 lanes the surface deteriorates but it’s not littered with pot holes like a previous poster has claimed. It’s just old.
I’ve long held a view that the A1 should branch off at Scott corner and a new M1 motorway should be built all the way up to Edinburgh creating capacity and freeing up the A1 and the A19 of many cars and most importantly HGVs. Government should just do it and clamp down on the tree huggers in this instance.
There's not, used to be a couple just north of Boroughbridge but they got fixed. It's a great road to Scotch Corner

Exactly mate. The bit between SC and Wheterby Service’s is excellent to be fair.

Last edited:

Like I’ve said in a previous post I drive it every week and in the most part there a no pot holes. Large parts of it are brand new in road terms. Also 3 lanes. I’ll agree when it goes down to 2 lanes the surface deteriorates but it’s not littered with pot holes like a previous poster has claimed. It’s just old.
I’ve long held a view that the A1 should branch off at Scott corner and a new M1 motorway should be built all the way up to Edinburgh creating capacity and freeing up the A1 and the A19 of many cars and most importantly HGVs. Government should just do it and clamp down on the tree huggers in this instance.

Exactly mate. The bit between SC and Wheterby Service’s is excellent to be fair.
Yeah that section is so much better north of wetherby. Is there actually a need for three lanes north of Newcastle or would two lanes the whole way do it

Yeah that section is so much better north of wetherby. Is there actually a need for three lanes north of Newcastle or would two lanes the whole way do it
Do the HGVs going to auld reekie currently stick to the A1 or do they turn off after Morpeth and take the Coldstream cut along the A697?

It's been ages since I drove it but we always took the cut.

Last edited:
Do the HGVs going to auld reekie currently stick to the A1 or do they turn off after Morpeth and take the Coldstream cut along the A697?

It's been ages since I drove it but we always took the cut.
the a1 is much quicker in a wagon. flat out most of the way.
it's a lot less dangerous now on that part of the a1 since they put the speed limits up to 50 for hgv's on single crriageways. when it was 40 there'd be queues a mile long full of frustrated car drivers taking sackless risks to get past. from my experience most cars are happy to sit behind doing 50, there's always the odd one though.
of course you need to remember that once in the land of the porridge gobblers they didn't put the limits up just to be awkward.

Loads of work currently planned for the A1 and not too far away from starting.

Extra lane in both directions between junctions 65 & 67 plus dedicated slips between junctions.
Extra lane in both directions between Scotswood and North Brunton junction.
Dualling sections from Morpeth up to Ellingham.

All the above is scheduled to start in 2020/21.

There's full dualling of the A66 planned too but I think that's a bit further down the line with a fair few hoops to jump through yet.

Whenever I drive up the A1, there’s always a notable reduction of traffic from wetherby to the north east. It would explain why there’s less desire to upgrade it

Whenever I drive up the A1, there’s always a notable reduction of traffic from wetherby to the north east. It would explain why there’s less desire to upgrade it
The connection from Teesside to the A1 southbound is easy, the connection to the A1 northbound is rather harder (until this northern Darlo bypass is built).

Passed the Scum Team coach going south this morning near A1M /M1 split, presume the driver is lost and then about a mile further on a nuke convoy (hopefully the driver knew where he was going). Haven’t seen a nuke convoy for ages. Do they still stop over at that Army camp off the A69?

Passed the Scum Team coach going south this morning near A1M /M1 split, presume the driver is lost and then about a mile further on a nuke convoy (hopefully the driver knew where he was going). Haven’t seen a nuke convoy for ages. Do they still stop over at that Army camp off the A69?

Change every time don't they so they're unpredictable? Believe that's what they do anyway.

Back