The 4hr Interview with Ellis Short

Seen him once outside the stadium was round the main entrance with work and he turned up with his entourage.

Lass with a charity bucket for girl guides shook the bucket and asked if he'd donate. Ellis, pretty coolly now I think about it, takes out his wallet, peels out a crisp fifty and puts it in the bucket and delivers a fabulous line in his Texan drawl

'Where I come from if you donate to girl scouts you get a box o' cookies'

Lass turns to me and my mate and asks who it is because he'd just given fifty quid... hadn't a scooby who he was :lol:

Nowt to do with the thread but thought I'd share

Class. He does seem like a bit of a legend to be honest like.

Shame he didn't employ the right people

top guy Short

Have to say thats a big error by Fullwell73 not using any of that.
I dinnar - not sure how interested Netflix or any body would be in that. The doc has a wider appeal to people outside of our little bubble.
Class. He does seem like a bit of a legend to be honest like.

I wouldn't go that far but I feel better about him knowing his heart's in the right place. This fuckin' club man, it gets under people's skin.

Last edited:
Short basically provided the money for the "football men" to waste.

And yes I include St. Niall in that.
I'm not sure Niall wasted an awful lot of money. Fair enough not every signing was a success but we at least managed that kind of thing back then. It was when De Fanti came in and then later Congrton that things really spiralled out of control.

<, This... few people he hired completely took the piss out of him and it all plunged into a massive mess, he did the honourable thing in the end that 99% of supporters recognise , think he would be well received if he returned to SOL

Simply employed the wrong people, advised to do so by the wrong people. The club was fucked from top to bottom of bottomleachers and it spread until the unthinkable nearly happened. Only now are getting rid of the shite and hopefully replacing them with people who want to make it work and CAN make it work.

You cannot blame Short too much. He came in and pumped money into this club and we had some fantastic players at times and looked like we could push on. Then it seemed something always went wrong and we just got fucked from all sides. Still he ploughed money in and asked advice and got the managers in that we all thought would do well and...well we know the stories.

He seems a fantastic bloke, hats off to him for all he tried to do here. Shame he couldn't still be active in the club somehow but leaving all the decision making stuff to the new guys.

p.s is there someplace we can hear this? Looked on the webpage but couldnt see any videos or owt for it? Or was I just blind?

Are they going to make Sunderland an attractive place for top flight footballers? Shame if thats what its going to take for us to have a canny team of superstars... mind our superstars of old werent a bunch of prima donna fannies
If big name players don’t want to be in our area then f**k them. Well just have to provide our own through the academy and sensible scouting. If it takes longer then so be it. These big name players were nobodies once. That’s when we need to catch them. We need someone in the club with the vision experience and contacts to achieve this. That’s who we should be throwing the money at. Not a bunch of primadonnas who look down their noses at where and who we are.

Simply employed the wrong people, advised to do so by the wrong people. The club was fucked from top to bottom of bottomleachers and it spread until the unthinkable nearly happened. Only now are getting rid of the shite and hopefully replacing them with people who want to make it work and CAN make it work.

You cannot blame Short too much. He came in and pumped money into this club and we had some fantastic players at times and looked like we could push on. Then it seemed something always went wrong and we just got fucked from all sides. Still he ploughed money in and asked advice and got the managers in that we all thought would do well and...well we know the stories.

He seems a fantastic bloke, hats off to him for all he tried to do here. Shame he couldn't still be active in the club somehow but leaving all the decision making stuff to the new guys.

p.s is there someplace we can hear this? Looked on the webpage but couldnt see any videos or owt for it? Or was I just blind?
Don't think they're intending to release it marra. Would be interesting for us, but I doubt it'd make good TV.

I'd heard Quinn wasn't exactly a passenger in it all.

Drumaville had run up a canny wedge of debt themselves and Short was sold a story of how big it would all be in Ireland when the club did well off his back.

Maybe was too trusting in others from the get go.

Last edited:

Drumaville had run up a canny wedge of debt themselves and Short was sold a story of how big it would all be in Ireland when the club did well off his back.

My take on it, and I've thought this for quite some time, is that Quinny in his enthusiasm honestly believed the people of Sunderland would come out and that ground would be packed to the rafters every home game. We'd secure the World Cup bid, extend the ground, and it'd be party time in Sunderland. Sunderland supporters love their football club, Quinny had been seduced by that football club, others have been seduced by it, so why not? Why not build on it. So there's the vision, and you have Steve Bruce "shopping at Harrods". But in the midst of this FFP rears it's head, and for one reason or another, the crowds aren't all they were cracked up to be. And that's when the cloth cutting started - probably out of necessity. It just didn't take off.

His number one mistake IMO without a shadow of doubt, was putting the club's legal secretary in charge.She was young ,inexperienced and totally unqualified for the massive role she was given. An experienced candidate from outside the club who had a similar role elsewhere would have been a much wiser choice
Arise, Mr Martin Bain

aye heard the debt was in excess of £70m+

His number one mistake IMO without a shadow of doubt, was putting the club's legal secretary in charge.She was young ,inexperienced and totally unqualified for the massive role she was given. An experienced candidate from outside the club who had a similar role elsewhere would have been a much wiser choice
She didn't like football and she didn't understand football. She saw it as a game of numbers - you have four strikers Mr Poyet so why would you need another one? It didn't matter to her that one of them was Jozy Altidore. She was an absolutely horrendous appointment.

Agree with that, followed closely by Ryan Sachs being employed in far too important roles within the club

Ellis Short is an honorable and decent man but a terrible football club owner. I think that he was too trusting of some of the people that he employed and he was very badly let down by a number of them. It was evident that a number of them were well out of their depth.

In the seasons to come I hope he can find some time just to enjoy being a Lads fan and like the rest of us restrict his involvement to just being an armchair manager or football Chief Executive. It's a lot cheaper.

Ellis as a bloke sounds canny, and the thought he may now be a mlf is amusing.

But let's be honest he was crap as a football club owner.

Hoying money at us was great, well done for that, but brains are needed as well. It's no good saying he was let down by his appointments, that was his job.
A succession of managers with different playing styles to their predecessor, de fanti, Ryan Sachs, Maggie, did Steve Houston have any effect? SBC loan & interest, et al.
It seemed to take him an awfully long time to realise he was crap.

However, he never appeared to do owt from spite, just incompetence, and he kept his best effort for last!

So -as long as the big bugger doesn't take the seat in front of me- I hope he comes back to watch us.

I like Ellis Short, I do. I think, in a few years, what he did for the club may prove to he the greatest long term provision the club has ever recieved. But f**ck me he appointed some Muppets - all of whom had their noses in the SAFC trough and who bled the club dry. Absolute incompetents. People with divided loyalties. People who had absolutely no qualifications to be doing what they did. Absolutely f***ing shambolic and a disgrace that it was allowed to continue.

Back