The 4hr Interview with Ellis Short

Look at the managers he brought in. Bruce O'Neil then Allardyce and nearly got it right. Poyet keane as well. All big appointments in their time. Pdc was awful in the end but worked short term. Same with advocaat. Forget moyes grayson and Coleman. The derailment was inevitable in the end.

New era ahead now and short has played a big part in our history and identity.

10 years a premier league club was good going by how many mistakes he made and payed the debt off as well.

It could be a lot worse.

I'm not afraid to admit I did, massively. I hated him as I watched my club flushing down the toilet.

STID opened my eyes to the latter issues, but I think it also made it obvious how badly run things were. For him to not only wipe out the debt but clearly feel so badly now only shows I was wrong about his character.
I would go as far as extend an offer to be guest of honour once this takeover is rubber stamped, wouldn't harm the new owners to pick his brains on what not to do either, Ellis was no mug but by his own admission made a plethora of gaffs while at the helm, probably loads of things even the new lads haven't thought of that they won't have encountered in the ordinary business world.

I would go as far as extend an offer to be guest of honour once this takeover is rubber stamped, wouldn't harm the new owners to pick his brains on what not to do either, Ellis was no mug but by his own admission made a plethora of gaffs while at the helm, probably loads of things even the new lads haven't thought of that they won't have encountered in the ordinary business world.
Employing Lee congerton and martin bain is up there with the worst of them.

Remember reading an interview where Ellis Short asked the journalist what he thought the biggest mistake he made was, the journalist said “sacking Martin O’Neill” Short said that wasn’t even in the top 10
Sacking MON wasn't a mistake. It was justified. Appointing that clown PDC was a gigantic mistake as was DiFanti and Angeloni. Sacking Quinn was a mistake, giving Margaret f***ing Byrne control of the club was a mistake. I could write a book on Short's mistakes and MON wouldn't even come into consideration for a mention

Ellis and Micky Dell are buddies.

I dare say in a roundabout way CM will know both parties from similar circles.

I always defended him on here and got shot down.

His heart was in the right place and he lost a shit load of money trying.

This he invested heavily ... got it wrong yet still gave us some memories which will live long in Sunderlands history

I’d welcome him back

A fair few “enlightened” posters on these boards got the man wrong but I bet they have never admitted to their mistakes on here in a way Ellis Short did with his tenure at this club

Remember reading an interview where Ellis Short asked the journalist what he thought the biggest mistake he made was, the journalist said “sacking Martin O’Neill” Short said that wasn’t even in the top 10

That's cos it wasn't a mistake. Can't recall the fans being up in arms thats for sure.

I was in the Boardroom when we beat Liverpool and ended up in Sunderland town centre having a few beers with Ellis. I found him to be an absolutely top bloke who was desperate for us to do well.
Of course we all know he made mistakes but everything he did was out of best intentions. I reckon he will always be a Sunderland fan and I would love to meet him again to thank him for his incredible and selfless act in writing the debt off.

I have every respect for Ellis Short, he’s one of the good guys that’s for sure

Made massive mistakes from the start with Keano and then Quinny, he thought he was some kind of football expert when he really had no clue.

We all know that his heart was in the right place. He trusted certain people to run the club and his money. The majority of us knew those running the club were inept, especially with hundreds of millions at stake. He stuck with them and look what happened.

Lets hope this new era ends the retirement village and the last pay day mentality etc etc at our club. From now on we need to take no shit from anyone, and any personnel not willing to toe the line gets the boot.

Let’s not sugar coat this he was responsible for putting us where we are now and in the brink of going just.
People like Byrne, Bain and Moyes tripped the soul out of the club and he watched and done nothing.
Fair enough he levelled the debt but let’s be honest it’s the least he could do for nigh on destroying the football club.

An honourable man in the end.

Don't think it''s the end. He hasn't gone away you know. Of that we should be thankful.
Let’s not sugar coat this he was responsible for putting us where we are now and in the brink of going just.
People like Byrne, Bain and Moyes tripped the soul out of the club and he watched and done nothing.
Fair enough he levelled the debt but let’s be honest it’s the least he could do for nigh on destroying the football club.

It's not the least he could do FFS!

Last edited:
No one is sugar coating it. We all know the mess he overseen. He bailed us out when many others wouldn’t have bothered. Like I said he’s an honourable man.

Back