The 4hr Interview with Ellis Short

I said all along that Short might have put loads of money in, but he had no idea what he was doing, and that this money was totally wasted due to a long line of bad decisions.
Seems the lads at Fullwell73 came to the same conclusion:

""An hour and a half later and we're still talking in detail about all of his mistakes in his time at the club, and that conversation was all driven by him. He knew he had a made a mess of it, but by this point he just did not know how to get out of it."

So pleased that he was able to hand the club to someone else. I really hope Donald and his team stay on at the club in a meaningful way - they know football, and they know SAFC.

Noone who "knows football" would hire and persist with Ross as manager...

My take on it, and I've thought this for quite some time, is that Quinny in his enthusiasm honestly believed the people of Sunderland would come out and that ground would be packed to the rafters every home game. We'd secure the World Cup bid, extend the ground, and it'd be party time in Sunderland. Sunderland supporters love their football club, Quinny had been seduced by that football club, others have been seduced by it, so why not? Why not build on it. So there's the vision, and you have Steve Bruce "shopping at Harrods". But in the midst of this FFP rears it's head, and for one reason or another, the crowds aren't all they were cracked up to be. And that's when the cloth cutting started - probably out of necessity. It just didn't take off.
Yeah, that's my take as well. Think Quinn sold it as Short backing them with the cash needed to compete for the top 6, the fans buying into it, selling out regularly and extending the ground. But then the recession hit just after Short came in, crowds dropped and Bruce wasted a shitload of money just to finish 13th and 10th.

Within the space of a year you had talk of Short cutting back the funding, Bent, Henderson and Gyan going, Quinn 'despising' people who watched in pubs, standing down as chairman then leaving altogether.

Every year after that we seemed to try and get by spending as little as possible only to realise after we'd filled the squad up with shit freebies that the team was weaker than before and still needed significant investment to survive. Hence how we signed Johnson, Fletcher, Rodwell, Borini, Ndong etc late in the window for big money after bringing in dogshit free transfers.

I don't think he was a bastard like other owners and he did a great deed in writing the debt off, but he was absolutely hopeless and it still pisses me off that he disappeared off the face of the earth when we were desperate for leadership whilst overseeing back to back relegations.

I don't hate him and wouldn't boo him if he came back but I certainly wouldn't go out my way to give him a good reception if he came back.

I said all along that Short might have put loads of money in, but he had no idea what he was doing, and that this money was totally wasted due to a long line of bad decisions.
Seems the lads at Fullwell73 came to the same conclusion:

""An hour and a half later and we're still talking in detail about all of his mistakes in his time at the club, and that conversation was all driven by him. He knew he had a made a mess of it, but by this point he just did not know how to get out of it."

So pleased that he was able to hand the club to someone else. I really hope Donald and his team stay on at the club in a meaningful way - they know football, and they know SAFC.
We have a lot to thank Mr Short for. He deserves respect.
Hopefully he can still pop back for a few games and be welcomed by everyone in the future.
this

Last edited:
others obviously feel different about this, but i would be happy to shake Mr Shorts hand and thank him for the way he left the club.

there is every chance he could have behaved like ashley and tried to milk every cent he could out of any potential buyers, he had had enough, the fans had had enough but he did us proud in the end.

Last edited:
Not to mention Six in a Row :cool:

I was raging over his fuck ups at the time but the fact he spent a hell of a lot of money to bail us out mitigates him completely. He was part of the circus, not running the show

History will remember him as a good man led astray by utter wranguns which is fair enough

Yet and I know this for a fact the executives in charge before Bain all say it was a premiership club when they left it. Technically true of course. But just the equivalent of jumping (or pushed) off a torpedoed ship before it breaks its back and sinks
Ellis and Micky Dell are buddies.

I dare say in a roundabout way CM will know both parties from similar circles.

CM there’s someone else who gets to much shit on here purely for communicating.... the very thing we criticised the previous regime for not doing

Last edited:

Back