The 2nd Part of the Murray Interview >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Boy Harry said:
The players will be shown around and will be impressed with the facilities. I have no doubt about that. youre now intertwining 2 separate questions/issues.

If you judge it by the impact it might have on signing first team players (who would come anyway - if you play for Mansfield or Oxford you'll come irrespective of the facilities) then they would be won over (they'd be won over by owt I assume if you came from Waterford).

However if we judge the success of the facility on what it is supposed to do, enable the production of good youth team players, then so far (and its early days granted) it hasnt produced.

It has to produce.

Sunlunds youth set-up is shite.

Even though we have a state of the art academy on our doorstep and thousands upon thousands of local lads who are very good and would die to play for the lads, our coaches still decide to make regular trips to Ireland to bring in the "talent"..

FFS i wish they'd just walk up to Ashbrooke Playing Fields on a sunday..!!

My Boy Harry said:
No, at the time we built our "Academy" the rule was that you needed a training barn.

As far as I'm aware that was always the rule.

Why build the AoL, on a greenbelt site, where large concentrations of your biggest rivals supporters live? I also understood that the Sky share money was paying for the AoL.

Surely, there was far better options in Co Durham for the AoL, and at afar cheaper cost.

Nigle said:
Why build the AoL, on a greenbelt site, where large concentrations of your biggest rivals supporters live? I also understood that the Sky share money was paying for the AoL.
Nigle said:

Surely, there was far better options in Co Durham for the AoL, and at afar cheaper cost.
All questions mate that have been asked over and over again. IMHO the whole thing has been a debacle from beginning to end.

My Boy Harry said:
and then spend buttons on coaches and scouts.

So what is the budget for coaches and scouts. You havent got a clue have you?

Lets say we were to stay up for the next few seasons and pay the debts off. Do you think for one second that a major figure wouldnt be brought in to run the AOL and develop young talent?

Again, the facility has been established and is permanent. That is the most important thing. The staff employed there will change (for all sorts of reasons) - that is inevitable.

Hetzkes Ballet Teacher said:

Lets say we were to stay up for the next few seasons and pay the debts off. Do you think for one second that a major figure wouldnt be brought in to run the AOL and develop young talent?

Again, the facility has been established and is permanent. That is the most important thing. The staff employed there will change (for all sorts of reasons) - that is inevitable.
:lol: are you jesus?

Of course I havent got a clue, but it stands to reason that if they pay off the Zwamborm due to cost reasons then the bloke they asked to take over (who was promoted from the Under 17's/U 19's) will be on far less.

why not keep Zwamborm on and peddle the bloke who runs the Under 19's? The reaosn is probably £50k, which in terms of spending £20m on the building is short sighted and chicken feed.

Nigle said:

That doesn't make sense ... no-one lives on a greenbelt, it's 20 minutes walk to the stadium, or is this another County Durham heartland argument ? They've trained around there for years.

Large concentration of rival supporters ? If true (and I haven't seen the study), is that affecting the academys performance ?

Flavonoids said:
That doesn't make sense ... no-one lives on a greenbelt, it's 20 minutes walk to the stadium, or is this another County Durham heartland argument ? They've trained around there for years.
Flavonoids said:

Large concentration of rival supporters ? If true (and I haven't seen the study), is that affecting the academys performance ?
Flavenoids the alleged politicking that went on over this facility is well known. We could have made life a lot easier for ourselves by moving it to somewhere less contraversial.

It didnt have to be in Cleadon/whitburn area.

My Boy Harry said:
Flavenoids the alleged politicking that went on over this facility is well known. We could have made life a lot easier for ourselves by moving it to somewhere less contraversial.

It didnt have to be in Cleadon/whitburn area.

I've no doubt, I was really questioning the large number of your rival supporters comment.

Flavonoids said:

IMO it was nowt to dee with rival fans, as the whitburn area is predominantly red and white. It has to do with the fact is was built on a nice bit of green belt in a "well to do" area when there are plenty of poor looking areas in deprived areas that would have actually benefited from such an investment. I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the red and white residents complained aswell as any stray mags.

IMHO Murray is too concerned with keeping the support in 50/50 areas happy (same reason he wanted the stadium in washington) instead of concentrating on sound business and regional sense.

Premiership said:
IMO it was nowt to dee with rival fans, as the whitburn area is predominantly red and white. It has to do with the fact is was built on a nice bit of green belt in a "well to do" area when there are plenty of poor looking areas in deprived areas that would have actually benefited from such an investment. I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the red and white residents complained aswell as any stray mags.

IMHO Murray is too concerned with keeping the support in 50/50 areas happy (same reason he wanted the stadium in washington) instead of concentrating on sound business and regional sense.

Maybe they didn't want their multi million pound (sic) property visting a deprived area, or their potential signings, visiting these areas.

I'm not sure how a deprived area would have benefited ... although I know it's one of your favourite subjects.

I don't know, and I don't know Murrays reasons.

I don't know how much was spent getting it where it was, but it is a nice facility in a nice spot :-D

Flavonoids said:
Maybe they didn't want their multi million pound (sic) property visting a deprived area, or their potential signings, visiting these areas.

I'm not sure how a deprived area would have benefited ... although I know it's one of your favourite subjects.

I don't know, and I don't know Murrays reasons.

I don't know how much was spent getting it where it was, but it is a nice facility in a nice spot :-D

:confused: - Hows that like?

As for not knowing how it would have benefited - just look at Southwick or Boldon (Asda, Cinema etc). Improvements can give people more pride in the area and lift it up slightly.

You're right it is "nice". But it's not producing owt and isn't IMO worth the money. As quinn pointed out, we came 7th when training in portacabins.

Premiership said:
:confused: - Hows that like?

As for not knowing how it would have benefited - just look at Southwick or Boldon (Asda, Cinema etc). Improvements can give people more pride in the area and lift it up slightly.

You're right it is "nice". But it's not producing owt and isn't IMO worth the money. As quinn pointed out, we came 7th when training in portacabins.
That is a great point. Every fecker has academies these days. What was going to set the AoL apart from all the others was the guy running it. A man who had a track record in working with young 'uns. And Murray got rid of him to save money!!! Unbelievable!!!

***little yella fella shakes his heed in disbelief here***

Not at all, in fact it is you who are wriggling. You said:

"Imagine investing an absolute fortune in an Academy as opposed to pitch side and all the while telling the fans that this was the only credible way to go and then sacking the bloke he'd brought in to run it to save peanuts."

My point was/is simple - the existance of the AOL is what is important, not the employment of Zwamborn (who is not the only man in the world who can run it).

Can I make that any simpler for you?

No, but you could try to be a little more accurate about what was being said. The existence of the AOL isn't worth a spit without talented people to run it. I didn't say he was the only one that could run it, I said Bob hoyed a fortune at some buildings and then promptly sacked the person he had said was the ideal man to run it in order to save buttons. Is that simple enough for you?

Now, for the last time, exactly how do mere bricks and mortar produce quality footballers?

stubber said:
That is a great point. Every fecker has academies these days. What was going to set the AoL apart from all the others was the guy running it. A man who had a track record in working with young 'uns. And Murray got rid of him to save money!!! Unbelievable!!!

***little yella fella shakes his heed in disbelief here***

Nivver mind, we'll find another quality person to run it when we're successful again, youth is the way to go here, Bob said so :confused: :lol:

Flavonoids said:

Thats new to me as I live in a protected greenbelt! My argument is that the AoL could have been built on a brownfield site, which there are many in Co Durham. I,m sure had this happened there would have been none of the protracted planning battles, caused by the concerned of South Tyneside not wanting the AoL in their backyard.

---Nemo--- said:
Now, for the last time, exactly how do mere bricks and mortar produce quality footballers?

As you well know I havent said that they do.

Secondly, the AOL as a facility is way more than bricks and mortar - there are medical facilities, teaching facilities, etc, etc.

Thirdly, as I already said, I cant recall a single player we've signed who hasn't raved about the facilities and given them as a reason for wanting to join (whether or not the signings have been good ones is a wholly separate issue - the issue here is that we have something, not someone, that attracts footballers by getting across that, ups and downs in form aside, we are a proper football club).

Lastly, and again, a new AOL director can be appointed at any time consistent with our ability (when it returns) to pay for the best. But you cant do that unless you've got the actual facilities, which we now have.

The AOL is a long term investment. It may and probably will be many years before it unearths a real gem of a young player, but when it eventually does, the difference it makes to the club as a whole will be staggering (look at what "unearthing" Rooney has done for England).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back