THE 1970s

I was born in 1955. So by late 1970 I was 15.

It was a very good year .....
Shoot - the TV programme and the magazine
Sounds, and the NME when it was good
Billy Hughes and Vic Halom
Girls without bras
Roker Park 19/02/77 - 05/03/77 - what a time to be alive!
Downstairs in the Ship & Royal
Freedom
A sense of optimism

Last edited:

Best music ever .. Carry on films.. Coming home from school in winter smelling coal fires from cimneyss
Forgot about that one. That was a distinct smell and one, now you’ve mentioned it, takes me right back to my childhood. Especially visiting my cousins in Ryhope, that smell was prevalent in the damp winter months.

I thought you might have been a Lancastrian (adopted) from your username. The good thing about getting old is you can like what you like and not give a fuck what others think. My music tastes started in the 70s and have spread both ways to catch up with the stuff I missed in the 60s and have continued so I like a lot of new stuff. The worst period in music for me was the 80s with a lot of over produced shite. The 90s especially American stuff is top notch
For my sins, I'm Hartlepudlian, and have no connection to Horley in Sussex, or Chorley in Lancashire.

The username came about, from the time the SOL was almost completed, and groups of us season ticket holders from Roker Park, were invited to the new stadium to have a look around.
A tour guide was showing various groups around the new ground, and was explaining that the centre circle, had been transplanted from the pitch at Roker Park, when this gobshite suddenly piped up, that it was club legend, Charlie Hurley, who'd dug the centre circle up, at RP, though in his excitement to prove he was the fountain of all knowledge, regarding SAFC, he said Horley Chorley, instead of Charlie Hurley.
Cue, stifled guffaws from the tour group, and me on the floor, laughing so hard, I was struggling to breathe. :lol:
When I joined here in 2004, I used HC as a username 👍

For my sins, I'm Hartlepudlian, and have no connection to Horley in Sussex, or Chorley in Lancashire.

The username came about, from the time the SOL was almost completed, and groups of us season ticket holders from Roker Park, were invited to the new stadium to have a look around.
A tour guide was showing various groups around the new ground, and was explaining that the centre circle, had been transplanted from the pitch at Roker Park, when this gobshite suddenly piped up, that it was club legend, Charlie Hurley, who'd dug the centre circle up, at RP, though in his excitement to prove he was the fountain of all knowledge, regarding SAFC, he said Horley Chorley, instead of Charlie Hurley.
Cue, stifled guffaws from the tour group, and me on the floor, laughing so hard, I was struggling to breathe. :lol:
When I joined here in 2004, I used HC as a username 👍
I run marathons but I was 9 in 71... 9 is my lucky number...
I run marathons but I was 9 in 71... 9 is my lucky number...
you could start a thread how people made their username...

Last edited:
So in summary, the 70s were shit? A stop gap between the far better 60s & 80s?

So in summary, the 70s were shit? A stop gap between the far better 60s & 80s?
70s was a more defining decade than the 80s.
I mentioned him, earlier on here.
Top Deck shandy, is a blast from the past 👍
Angel delight and Vesta curry in a box.
I mentioned him, earlier on here.
Top Deck shandy, is a blast from the past 👍
Angel delight and Vesta curry and rice in a box.

Last edited by a moderator:
70s was a more defining decade than the 80s.

Angel delight and Vesta curry in a box.

Angel delight and Vesta curry and rice in a box.
I still love Angel Delight, with Dream Topping, but Vesta Curry was minging, with those dried sultanas.
Yuk !!
Born in 62 grew up in the 70s... The best decade to be a kid...
Born 63, and loved the 70's as a kid, and a teenager.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion wise, early 70's, star jumpers from Jackie Whites, DM's, dealers, sta-prest, Lee jeans, Harrington jacket. Match wear incorporated a donkey jacket or parka with orange lining, again Jackie Whites boutique.

Late 70's DM's, dealers, narrow leg jeans/trousers, spiky hair, mohair jumpers, band t-shirts, crombie.

Also it was much better discovering the delights of the fairer sex without the aid of the internet. Just getting down & dirty was the order of the day...

Born 64 and still think the 70s was the best decade. No doubt in large part due the usual teenage firsts: concerts, drinking, women and drugs.

As I've gotten older (almost 57) I've mellowed a lot, as a person, and my musical taste has also mellowed.
Nowadays, I can listen to most music (except rap) from the Carpenters to the Clash, but still love to hear the old Glam and Punk music classics on Youtube.
I don't bother with new music these days, but maybe I should pay more attention to the new stuff, and give it a chance.

Hardly anything phases me , I m strangely resilient emotionally.

But listening to Karen Carpenters wonderful voice I have tears in my eyes.
Why do people 'miss' dog shit because it was white ?
It didn’t smell - that brown version was minging.

Last edited:
Leaving school
Starting work
Seeing great bands
A pint of ex 12 1/2 pence a pint
Getting married
Getting first car Hillman hunter 1500dl blue AUP 538L
Buying our first house
Having the time of our lives

Early 70s , midnight mass, chopper bikes,compendium of games every Christmas, me mams dinners and homemade bread, and massive teas, jam tarts, pies etc. Youth clubs Listening to the radio in the kitchen while my mam baked, Karen carpenters, voice.
Later on, first gigs, buying , borrowing and stealing records, getting into the city hall by various means. Genevieves in sunderland, mayfair Newcastle, central arcade. Smoking dope and throwing up, drinking and throwing up.

Early 70s , midnight mass, chopper bikes,compendium of games every Christmas, me mams dinners and homemade bread, and massive teas, jam tarts, pies etc. Youth clubs Listening to the radio in the kitchen while my mam baked, Karen carpenters, voice.
Later on, first gigs, buying , borrowing and stealing records, getting into the city hall by various means. Genevieves in sunderland, mayfair Newcastle, central arcade. Smoking dope and throwing up, drinking and throwing up.

Karen Carpenter for you mate ....

Hardly anything phases me , I m strangely resilient emotionally.

But listening to Karen Carpenters wonderful voice I have tears in my eyes.

It didn’t smell - that brown version was minging.
Karen Carpenter, had such a pure, crystal clear, beautiful voice.
To think, she started out as a drummer 😮

Back