That attack on the Police in London

Who is doing the 'encouraging'? I don't see any. Maybe people are just cowardly?
I've seen chief inspector's say don't approach this or that person. I've also seen and heard plenty of police officers say "let us do our job" and don't get involved.. Plus what would happen if I unched some random lad who was resisting arrest, would I walk away scott free..I doubt it....

I've seen chief inspector's say don't approach this or that person. I've also seen and heard plenty of police officers say "let us do our job" and don't get involved.. Plus what would happen if I unched some random lad who was resisting arrest, would I walk away scott free..I doubt it....

You said 'we are now living in a world' - I don't think the messages have changed, we've always had warnings not to approach criminals. If you punched a lad who was resisting arrest you would deserve to be arrested yourself. If the coppers can't punch someone, what makes you think you can?

You said 'we are now living in a world' - I don't think the messages have changed, we've always had warnings not to approach criminals. If you punched a lad who was resisting arrest you would deserve to be arrested yourself. If the coppers can't punch someone, what makes you think you can?
But how would I know (or you) I couldn't punch him in the face without the right training ? Works both ways doesn't it.

But how would I know (or you) I couldn't punch him in the face without the right training ? Works both ways doesn't it.
I don't understand your question. Ignorance of the law is no defence. If you (or a copper) punched me in the face whilst I was resisting arrest it would be assault.

Wouldnt be arrested at all. Jesus, if the member of the public genuinely feared for that officers safety.

I don't understand your question. Ignorance of the law is no defence. If you (or a copper) punched me in the face whilst I was resisting arrest it would be assault.

but you've just implied that people are cowardly? However If went to the add of a police officer and punched some random person who was resisting arrest in the face that wouldn't make me cowardly now would it, and ignorance of the law would be my defence as I've not been trained to understand that I'm not allowed to punch someone in the face..

Wouldnt be arrested at all. Jesus, if the member of the public genuinely feared for that officers safety.
He said resisting arrest - if he's putting up a struggle to be cuffed you can't just go up and wallop him in the dish. If he's given the copper a pasting...that's a different story...

Surely a policeman can punch you in certain situations (like the one you mentioned) without being charged with assault?

Yes, it totally depends on the circumstances. For resisting arrest, he can't just punch you in the face - in fact, the police are trained to arrest without punching at all. I've seen them throw plenty of digs mind but they have to careful. One of the first questions a defence solicitor should ask is the manner of arrest.

Last edited:
@duff_man

You can give someone a dig can't you?

Of course. It has to be justifiable and necessary though. Section 117 of PACE and Section 3 of the criminal law act both legislate for it, there is also common law which allows a person to defend themselves and covers preemptive strikes. One of society’s problems is that too many people think the police can’t use force then are a bit upset when we do.

He said resisting arrest - if he's putting up a struggle to be cuffed you can't just go up and wallop him in the dish. If he's given the copper a pasting...that's a different story...

Yes, it totally depends on the circumstances. For resisting arrest, he can't just punch you in the face - in fact, the police are trained to arrest without punching at all. I've seen them throw plenty of digs mind but they have to careful. One of the first questions a defence solicitor should ask is the manner of arrest.

Load of bollocks from another one of the SMB armchair solicitors

Of course. It has to be justifiable and necessary though. Section 117 of PACE and Section 3 of the criminal law act both legislate for it, there is also common law which allows a person to defend themselves and covers preemptive strikes. One of society’s problems is that too many people think the police can’t use force then are a bit upset when we do.
Thought as much.

Load of bollocks from another one of the SMB armchair solicitors
which bit is bollocks? so you aren't trained to arrest without punching? that a defence solicitor won't ask about how someone is arrested. Typical know it all copper.

which bit is bollocks? so you aren't trained to arrest without punching? that a defence solicitor won't ask about how someone is arrested. Typical know it all copper.

If force has been used against a defendant lawfully any solicitor worth their salt won’t ask about it, it then brings out all of the evidence of the defendants aggression, obstruction or violence as to why force needed to be used which then the jury or bench have in their knowledge. A good solicitor in those circumstances would skirt around the force used in arresting.

If force has been used against a defendant lawfully any solicitor worth their salt won’t ask about it, it then brings out all of the evidence of the defendants aggression, obstruction or violence as to why force needed to be used which then the jury or bench have in their knowledge. A good solicitor in those circumstances would skirt around the force used in arresting.

Who mentioned lawfully? I've seen many cases where defendants have been arrested with unlawful force. A good solicitor will convince the jury that this was the case. Less of an issue now that there's body cams and mobile phones around. Maybe that's the real issue. You lot have to rein it in a bit now. :lol: Not like the 70s and 80s when the SPG were given the freedom to do what they wanted.

And the reason they are so good is because they aren’t burdened with babysitting the dregs of the UK’s youth.
Its a tough one...cos without role models some people really seem to struggle( especially the young)..Someone has to come up with a solution,
Heard a programme saying in Hpool thre are very few cops around( due to cuts) .Some of the locals are "patrolling" their own streets.Even mentioned a local hard man who had got some stolen stuff back for a fella as the Police couldnt.When the Police are struggling for numbers like that and people take the law into their own hands leads to choas.
Need to bring back a respect for authority(and each other) and a fear of getting caught and of the punishment.
There are plenty countries ( see south america) where gangs control streets and kids look up to and want to belong to them.We dont want to become like that.
The Government need to stop this stuff and prioritise safety of its people.

Who mentioned lawfully? I've seen many cases where defendants have been arrested with unlawful force. A good solicitor will convince the jury that this was the case. Less of an issue now that there's body cams and mobile phones around. Maybe that's the real issue. You lot have to rein it in a bit now. :lol: Not like the 70s and 80s when the SPG were given the freedom to do what they wanted.

I mentioned lawfully.

You originally said that if someone is resisting arrest a copper couldn’t ‘wallop him in the dish’. That’s just not true is it?

Back