Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiddaw

Winger
Anyone been? Ended up in Houston without much forward planning and was wondering what to do/go see for the rest of the week.

Thanks in advance

Go to Austin. Had 2 weeks in Texas last year, Austin was the nicest place we visited. San Antonio worth a look, the river walk is weird. Dallas was a bit bleak in the town centre, but deep ellum is alright. On the coast we had a couple of days in port aransas, seaside resort type place.

Where are you staying?

Depending on what you’re looking for, some good recommendations here

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/t...MIpMCh3JPh1gIV0LrACh1HGAm-EAAYASAAEgJ3rvD_BwE

8th Wonder Brewery is worth your time.
Texans play tonight

There are hundreds of great bars and restaurants

Let me know what you’re after and I’ll give you some recommendations.

Oh, if you’re here for the week, have a drive out to the Renaissance Festival.

Been to El Paso, it's like a different country compared to that side of Texas so I can't help.
I just wanted to mention that I've been there

Plenty to do in Houston... the link Easy Tiger sent you looks like it's got a lot of them....
If you have a car and fancy a little further afield, then drive down to Keema... on the coast with lots of nice restaurants/ watering holes there... fancy a little further, then head out the south west and go to Brazos Bend state park and have a look at the gators and stuff....
If you're really up for a trip head west on I10 to the Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns... but that is a bit of a long drive!... well worth it though....

Plenty to do in Houston... the link Easy Tiger sent you looks like it's got a lot of them....
If you have a car and fancy a little further afield, then drive down to Keema... on the coast with lots of nice restaurants/ watering holes there... fancy a little further, then head out the south west and go to Brazos Bend state park and have a look at the gators and stuff....
If you're really up for a trip head west on I10 to the Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns... but that is a bit of a long drive!... well worth it though....
Took a lass to Kemah on our first date. Sat and ate seafood overlooking the water and went on the boat ride and then the big wheel.

That was exactly eleven years ago to the day and I still can't get rid of her!

Where are you staying?

Depending on what you’re looking for, some good recommendations here

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/t...MIpMCh3JPh1gIV0LrACh1HGAm-EAAYASAAEgJ3rvD_BwE

8th Wonder Brewery is worth your time.
Texans play tonight

There are hundreds of great bars and restaurants

Let me know what you’re after and I’ll give you some recommendations.

Oh, if you’re here for the week, have a drive out to the Renaissance Festival.
Staying at Cinco Ranch, Katy. Trying to sort out someone who's got themselves into a bit of a pickle so might not be able to get to do that much this week after all.

Saying that I'm off to Kemah and Galveston today but we'll just have to see how the rest of the week goes really.

Staying at Cinco Ranch, Katy. Trying to sort out someone who's got themselves into a bit of a pickle so might not be able to get to do that much this week after all.

Saying that I'm off to Kemah and Galveston today but we'll just have to see how the rest of the week goes really.

There's a massive sports bar called 'Coach's' on the north side of I-10 out that way if you want to catch a game. It's NFL season and baseball playoffs if there's nee footy on.

Space centre Houston is just round the lake from Kemah.

If you're going to Galveston either ride I-45 all the way till it dead ends on the beach. This will take you through Galveston and you'll see some of the wass houses including the Bishop's Palace. If you want to avoid all that take the 16th street exit and turn right which will lead you to the sea wall and there's a petrol station on the corner if you need to get some pop and crisps.

Last edited:
Flew down to Dallas for a fight a while back. Bloody big place to get around when you’re only there for 24 hours without a car.

Remember the steak being decent

Thanks to all for responding had a canny week apart from being massacred by mosquitos. A week wasn't really long enough given the amount of travel involved and I've just got over the jet lag.

Spent a good day at one of the gun ranges and also found a decent place to while away a couple of hours if you have an extended stopover in Atlanta (we had 8hrs).

https://www.archesbrewing.com/ some decent brews to take the edge of the 10hrs flight anyway

Thanks to all for responding had a canny week apart from being massacred by mosquitos. A week wasn't really long enough given the amount of travel involved and I've just got over the jet lag.

Spent a good day at one of the gun ranges and also found a decent place to while away a couple of hours if you have an extended stopover in Atlanta (we had 8hrs).

https://www.archesbrewing.com/ some decent brews to take the edge of the 10hrs flight anyway

Did you ride Marta into downtown ATL?

Flew down to Dallas for a fight a while back. Bloody big place to get around when you’re only there for 24 hours without a car.

Remember the steak being decent
Aye we did the same, a bit souless tbh but I did enjoy the aquarium in the city centre. I really liked Amarillo for a night out, some great bars on route 66. (Obviously nee where near Houston so not much use to the OP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back