Testing capacity v testing delivered

i not an expert, so i have to guess that whilst they have the lab capacity for the larger number they don't have the actual testing kits for that perhaps?
No the problem is that the contractors employed students to do the work in labs they have now gone back to university and they are having difficulty getting staff to do the work at minimum wage. If they pay more they lose money.
the government went all in with the private sector, so we have state sector facilities with staff saying they can do a lot of the work but because the contract went only to the private sector all of the reagents are sitting with them and nor where the trained staff are. As a result the private companies, run by the mates of the Tory cabinet, can not keep pace at the level they are contracted to do. Some tests are being thrown away because it has taken to long to process them.

So the kits are there the labs are there they have cocked up recruitment trying to save money and make profits.

But that is not the NHS capacity, that is the capacity of the private sector firms given contracts without tender procedures, who are allowed to put the NHS logo on things even thought they are nothing to do with the NHS.

Yea I didn’t say it was the right number to post. They just state U.K. capacity at 300k or whatever it is now. Whole things a lot of fraudulent shit

i not an expert, so i have to guess that whilst they have the lab capacity for the larger number they don't have the actual testing kits for that perhaps?

It’s tbd other way round, 250,000 kits available, but labs can only process c 60,000/80,000 people’s tests a day

If your kid has a cough (as part of a cold) they need to get a test to prove its not COVID otherwise their school won't let them attend.

Oh and how do you differentiate between COVID and a cold when the symptoms are so similar. Surely people should be erring on the side of caution rather than thinking oh it's just a cold and carrying on as if everything is ok whilst potentially spreading a the virus. People in charge should have forecast a jump in testing requirements once the schools returned.
No. Only if they have a new continuous / persistent cough. Not just any old cough. The symptoms for a cold and covid are not similar at all. I have to disagree with you there.

Someone I know justified getting their child tested because their child had a change in smell. They had a blocked nose so couldn't sniff at all! Idiots.

I agree that the demand increasing should have been forecast though

Last edited:
No. Only if they have a new continuous / persistent cough. Not just any old cough. The symptoms for a cold and covid are not similar at all. I have to disagree with you there.

Someone I know justified getting their child tested because their child had a change in smell. They had a blocked nose so couldn't sniff at all! Idiots.

I agree that the demand increasing should have been forecast though
Do you work in a school? I can tell you that if a child up here is coughing then they will be sent home from school and not allowed back until they've returned a negative test.

If your kid has a cough (as part of a cold) they need to get a test to prove its not COVID otherwise their school won't let them attend.

Oh and how do you differentiate between COVID and a cold when the symptoms are so similar. Surely people should be erring on the side of caution rather than thinking oh it's just a cold and carrying on as if everything is ok whilst potentially spreading a the virus. People in charge should have forecast a jump in testing requirements once the schools returned.

I read somewhere that you don't get the usual cold symptoms, runny nose etc with Covid-19 and the cough is dry cough.

Whoever has that policy is wrong then and partly to blame for the testing crisis.

Cold and covid symptoms are different but sadly a large amount of the population are thick or ignorant or both.
Fuck off where did you get your medical degree? People for ages have been told to err on the side of caution and get tested so they can get back to work/school. My son had a horrific cough, thankfully his test came back negative and the day after his nose started streaming. Should we have sent him to school on the off chance it was just a cold? The testing crisis has been caused by the Government making an arse of planning right from the start and instead of appointing experts to oversee things they've appointed their mates/their mates wives who haven't a clue what they are doing and then when things have gone wrong rather than admit it and say they'll sort it out they've blamed the public and self righteous twats like you have lapped it up.

Fuck off where did you get your medical degree? People for ages have been told to err on the side of caution and get tested so they can get back to work/school. My son had a horrific cough, thankfully his test came back negative and the day after his nose started streaming. Should we have sent him to school on the off chance it was just a cold? The testing crisis has been caused by the Government making an arse of planning right from the start and instead of appointing experts to oversee things they've appointed their mates/their mates wives who haven't a clue what they are doing and then when things have gone wrong rather than admit it and say they'll sort it out they've blamed the public and self righteous twats like you have lapped it up.
I said it depends on the cough, you said it doesn't. I said that was wrong, because it is. I don't need a medical degree for that. This is the first post you have mentioned your child. You might have been correct for all I know. But prior to this rant you said any cough should get a test and that is incorrect

Back