Test Championship New Points Rule

Can anyone see this getting another run? It’s not exactly captured the imagination and no one understands the points system. It’s a bit like a cricket version of that nations thing in the football. Nice to win but not the end of the world if you don’t

I’ll be the odd one out and say I like it. Really hard to create a meaningful system with the logistical challenges there are but this is as good a method as any.

Once there’s a decent ‘showpiece’ final it’ll focus minds towards it in future years.

I’ll be the odd one out and say I like it. Really hard to create a meaningful system with the logistical challenges there are but this is as good a method as any.

Once there’s a decent ‘showpiece’ final it’ll focus minds towards it in future years.
It’s weighted clearly to favour india though. You can’t guarantee tests will finish and then go to some sort of duckworth Lewis system to decide results.

i understand where you are coming from but imo tests can’t be run on a league system to then produce a one off final.

leagues for odis and t20s should be enough.

this system is worse as they have changed it mid competition. It makes no sense to do that. Either scrap previous results and start afresh with a new point system or not at all.

Last edited:
It’s weighted clearly to favour india though. You can’t guarantee tests will finish and then go to some sort of duckworth Lewis system to decide results.

i understand where you are coming from but imo tests can’t be run on a league system to then produce a one off final.

this system is worse as they have changed it mid competition. It makes no sense to do that. Either scrap previous results and start afresh with a new point system or not at all.

Did Wycombe and the EFL have any input into this?

Doesn’t help that not everyone plays everyone, which itself breeds unfairness and bias

All these decimal points and ratings

test nations all Play each other, home and away with three points for a win, 2 for a tie and 1 for a draw.

three match series and that would apply in the iconic five test series where the first three tests were counted for the points.

thank you, send me the cheque please for sorting out world cricket

Back