Tesla Motors...

Is it worth ordering a model 3 without a test drive? I’m not up in Edinburgh until Feb but want to kick the lead time off ASAP

OR is there somewhere closer to home to test drive?

Leeds or Edinburgh is 6 and 2 3’s but I’m heading to Edinburgh anyway towards the end of February. But despite some of the negatives on this thread the rest of the reviews have been hugely positive, so tempted to just order

Would like to ‘see’ the difference in the performance v standard model though. As far as I know the only aesthetic difference is the wheels and a bit lowering, but the wheels can sometimes make or break the look of a motor

Obviously would prefer the performance but for a £70 a month difference I might be able to compromise

think they're bringing out the turbo versions first which are a fair whack more than the 'from £83k' price they're advertising. Don't think there's a date for the standard yet.

That’s standard for Porsche, albeit not usually turbo first when they launch a model. The base carrera is usually 12 months in. That’ll be the same for the Taycan I’ve heard.

That’s standard for Porsche, albeit not usually turbo first when they launch a model. The base carrera is usually 12 months in. That’ll be the same for the Taycan I’ve heard.
I know someone with a deposit down who wasn’t too happy about it

Anyone on here got one?

Upgrading my car in a couple of months and really fancying the Model X? Had one for a test drive and wow, it was unreal. Head has been completely turned by it. Driving it was like playing a computer game :lol:
Looking at the X at the end of my current lease. friend has one here and she absolutely loves it. I took it for a spin yesterday, the thing is like shit off a stick when you put your foot down!

What's the score with servicing with EVs? Longer service periods than normal stuff. What about battery life, how long and costs to replace them. Just wondering how they will affect the 2nd hand market in a few years as they become more prevalent.

Are they not practical enough now? 200-250 miles on a single charge.
For the amount of times I do more than 200 miles in a single journey (twice a month, max), I think I can completely live with a 30-60min break at a services for a coffee and a shite.
Probably a good idea safteywise too. That's about a 4hr stint, its probably a good idea to take a break after that anyway.
The only issues I've seen with Teslas are in the US - people been using autopilot and they've been crashing left right and centre. But to me that's down to the driver not the car.
Haven't they been crashing - if you take an average of "Crashes per 1000 miles driven" far less than all other cars though?
Its just that they get reported every single time.

Is it worth ordering a model 3 without a test drive? I’m not up in Edinburgh until Feb but want to kick the lead time off ASAP

OR is there somewhere closer to home to test drive?

I ordered without test driving. Newcastle centre not opening until next year so Leeds closest to me for now. Its pretty easy to get to.

For the amount of times I do more than 200 miles in a single journey (twice a month, max), I think I can completely live with a 30-60min break at a services for a coffee and a shite.
Probably a good idea safteywise too. That's about a 4hr stint, its probably a good idea to take a break after that anyway.

Haven't they been crashing - if you take an average of "Crashes per 1000 miles driven" far less than all other cars though?
Its just that they get reported every single time.

Yeah agree and it's mainly down to driver error for me.

Anyway gone for the all Electric option and will be saving the Australian bush by May!! Come on the Electric car....

Yeah agree and it's mainly down to driver error for me.

Anyway gone for the all Electric option and will be saving the Australian bush by May!! Come on the Electric car....
I keep looking at a 3 year old Superb to trade my 6 year old exeo in for - its a better car, but its not THAT much better, and mine only had 60k on the clock.
I'd like to hang on until "close to" self-driving electric cars are in my price range - and we know more about battery life.

I keep looking at a 3 year old Superb to trade my 6 year old exeo in for - its a better car, but its not THAT much better, and mine only had 60k on the clock.
I'd like to hang on until "close to" self-driving electric cars are in my price range - and we know more about battery life.

this Merc has 250 miles per charge. Unless you're driving long distances and pushed for time it's a really good option.

this Merc has 250 miles per charge. Unless you're driving long distances and pushed for time it's a really good option.
I tried to edit my post - I meant more "for how many recharges do the batteries stand up". i.e. will they be totally fucked after the car's done 50k miles.

On the NHS scheme like? I heard they had some ECQs. Got Teslas back on as well.

not sure mate - I've got mine independently.
I tried to edit my post - I meant more "for how many recharges do the batteries stand up". i.e. will they be totally fucked after the car's done 50k miles.

good point. Not 100% on that but I'll find out. They're only producing around a thousand of them this year so I think there will be quite a hefty demand for the car either way. It comes out pretty high on the reviews I've read so far.

Last edited:

Back