Tesla Motors...

There are plenty of charging stations around, but what I’ve learned in the last two days is that most of the fuckers don’t work.

Some of them have had issues reported for up to a year and still aren’t repaired, today I went to Whitburn, shields sea front, mill dam, hebburn and Jarra, and all of them are fucked except for the slower charging gun at Jarra. I’ve used more miles driving round the twats than I gained from charging it!

if they were operational, the coverage would be good enough to get by.
I've had a Phev BMW 330e for 2.5yrs and have to say the charging network isn't great. Supermarkets are in general are well looked after. Non manned or open air car parks are terrible. I could tell you some decent ones, yet they are limited and could reduce my chances of hooking up for a free 15 miles to see a brand new tesla parked up in one of my favourite bays. 😂

Aren't you now in a car that costs about 3 times your salary Frijj?

I'm seriously considering changing but have a few issues. Main one being we live in a townhouse so our garage is en bloc with no electricity.

Plus the over agreement mileage charges on them seem painful. I've seen a few at 40 plus pence per mile.

Brother in law has a 3 and its great. He has just had it go in for a paint fix and has a model x as a courtesy. Its f***ing huge.

I've had a Phev BMW 330e for 2.5yrs and have to say the charging network isn't great. Supermarkets are in general are well looked after. Non manned or open air car parks are terrible. I could tell you some decent ones, yet they are limited and could reduce my chances of hooking up for a free 15 miles to see a brand new tesla parked up in one of my favourite bays. 😂
Yay can just go to the petrol pump though instead 😆

I'm seriously considering changing but have a few issues. Main one being we live in a townhouse so our garage is en bloc with no electricity.

Plus the over agreement mileage charges on them seem painful. I've seen a few at 40 plus pence per mile.

Brother in law has a 3 and its great. He has just had it go in for a paint fix and has a model x as a courtesy. Its f***ing huge.

A little over double. I couldn’t afford it without the 0% BIK like, and when the 0% BIK goes I’m sure I’ll be back in a much poorer car :D
No parking spaces where I work - we're expected to use public transport or pay to park in Council car parks.

All public car parks should have chargers, and lots of them.

Not disagreeing, but you still have to pay to use the car-park on top of paying to charge the car.

I would definitely consider having an electric car, but only when the charging infrastructure improves vastly over what it is now.

Daft question - what happens if you run out of charge in the middle of nowhere whilst on a long journey? It's not like you cn walk to a petrol station and fill a can to get you moving again.

Not disagreeing, but you still have to pay to use the car-park on top of paying to charge the car.

I would definitely consider having an electric car, but only when the charging infrastructure improves vastly over what it is now.

Daft question - what happens if you run out of charge in the middle of nowhere whilst on a long journey? It's not like you cn walk to a petrol station and fill a can to get you moving again.

The RAC bail you out with a van with a charger.

No, seriously.

you can buy a lead that just plugs in to a normal socket

Maybes that was the long term plan, they aren’t making a penny yet, but the battery tech is light years ahead of competitors . The battery factory they built is insane in size
They are making money. They are the largest US company in automotive history by market cap, are now turning a profit above expectations and have just opened a gigafactory in China. They aren’t going anywhere.

I don’t agree, they quantities need to grow over time alongside adoption rates, and alongside the improvements in electricity infrastructure.

They just need a few right now and ones that are reliable and well maintained.

Really frustrating finding a charger on one of ten charger apps, driving to it and finding it doesn’t graft when you get there.

Last edited:
They are making money. They are the largest US company in automotive history by market cap, are now turning a profit above expectations and have just opened a gigafactory in China. They aren’t going anywhere.

I don’t agree, they quantities need to grow over time alongside adoption rates, and alongside the improvements in electricity infrastructure.

They just need a few right now and ones that are reliable and well maintained.

Really frustrating finding a charger on one of ten charger apps, driving to it and finding it doesn’t graft when you get there.
Zap Map is a decent app for funding whether points are working or not. The reliable ones seem to be pod point.

Zap Map is a decent app for funding whether points are working or not. The reliable ones seem to be pod point.
Yeah I’ve been using Zap-Map. Pod point don’t have many round here and those that are are usually 7kw. The app is seamless compared to the others like. I have specified them on my projects in the past and will do again I think.

Who do you insure through?
We go through a broker for fleet insurance, cover site in gosforth. The certificate says NIG at the top tho, assume they are the underwriters.
Those of you who have a home charger - who did you go with? Podpoint seem to be the best I’ve seen.
Pod-Point are good quality, if I specify charging points in design I usually go for them (the motordepot at vroom is a Pod-Point one specified by me).

I am getting an EO mini smart home, as that’s who octopus go with at the minute. Waiting for a quote but should be around £450 with some extra electrical work needed at the house.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back