Tesla Motors...

How much do you pay for a charge?

it would have been about £15 had I had to pay, but I got 1000 free supercharging miles for using a referral code.
this Merc has 250 miles per charge. Unless you're driving long distances and pushed for time it's a really good option.
You won’t get that out of it in real world driving tho, will be around 200 tops.
there's the new free FastNed charging as well that's in the town. fastest one in the UK
Has anyone managed to use it tho?!? Their app is shit! It won’t let me choose a non hold member account and the want £10 a month for gold, fuck that!

Last edited:
What are the differences of the performance v standard?

Some google searches say wheels, spoiler and metal pedals on the performance but some say exactly the same car but with a software upgrade

I’m not keen on the aero wheels so looking at the performance. Does the performance have the coloured brake callipers if opting for the non aero wheels?

Does it plug into a tree for recharging?

yes

Some google searches say wheels, spoiler and metal pedals on the performance but some say exactly the same car but with a software upgrade

I’m not keen on the aero wheels so looking at the performance. Does the performance have the coloured brake callipers if opting for the non aero wheels?

The performance is quite a bit faster as well

Performance looks very different mate, the spoiler, 20 inch graphite alloys, premium interior with a class sound system, and the range is much longer.

I would definitely recommend the performance, you won’t be disappointed. Had it for nearly a week now and I’m absolutely blown away with it, it’s so different to anything I’ve seen before and there’s not a car in the road I’ve encountered yet that comes near it for acceleration.

The Tesla Roadster looks canny, especially the claimed 620 mile range as surely that's got be more than most, if not all fuel based sports cars. The 0-60mph is ridiculous at 1.9s and that would strip a lass of her top if she has a buttoned or zipped top on! :lol:

The performance is quite a bit faster as well
The benefit being? ;) I'm sure some lasses will be impressed with the little bit faster 0-60mph time and nipping away at the traffic lights or Asda car park :lol::lol: I'm pretty sure most blokes grow out of the boy racer stage quickly as only f***ing idiot would hoof it all the time risking either getting pulled, caught for speeding, causing an accident or continually looking like a small dick wanker etc!

I've had fast cars and the "oooh I've got a fast car and will zoom away at traffic lights" novelty quick wore off for me. One big reason fast cars are useful is when wanting to 'legitimately' overtake as you can get past quicker and easier. The downside of any fast car, including electric is that hoying your foot down decreases the range in some way.

I'm guessing that once electric cars becomes more mainstream, some may limit the acceleration power as it will cause more accidents as wanna be Lewis Hamilton's end up crashing as they've not enough experience of handling cars when hoying down the pedal either from a stand start or while already moving at speed. Insurance premiums will possibly increase (already high aren't they?) as people end up having more accidents due to not really being suited to drive cars with fast acceleration than they would in a slower car. Imagine little old Doris at Asda car park and her foot slips on the accelerator, she'd have took out the trolley shed out within a fraction of a second whereas in her little VW she'd have reacted in time :lol:

The standard is still faster than most cars at 5.3s 0-60mph and 140mph so is there really a point in simply buying the performance as it's quite a bit faster at 3.2s and 162mph? The performance has the longer range and a few frilly extras and the bigger wheels so this is what people should be considering and whether it's worth the extra cost.

I also see that cold affects battery performance and I presume in northern areas you'd be using the lights etc longer. I've seen one AAA report that claimed some electric cars (not just Tesla) lost 40% range due to cold weather but that's just one test but surely cold does affect the performance of the battery and therefore range?

I see Tesla has this mentioned in their disclaimer

Range figures based on WLTP standard. Your actual vehicle range will vary depending on the vehicle configuration, battery age and condition, driving style and operating, environmental and climate conditions. WLTP standard may be useful in comparing ranges among electric vehicles.

What Car did a test and the performance was only 43 miles more and not the claimed 75 miles. One thing to bear in mind is that if you are buying the performance for speed and continually use it then you won't get anywhere the claimed miles. Though it's not really a problem if people can regularly charge up and I presume they'd always be near a charger point no matter where they go on their travels in the UK.

OFFICIAL VS REAL RANGE OF ELECTRIC CARS TESTED BY WHAT CAR?

ModelPrice (from)Official rangeWhat Car? Real RangeDifference (miles)Difference (%)
Audi e-tron£68,020248 miles196 miles-52 miles-21%
BMW i3£31,680193 miles165 miles-28 miles-15%
Hyundai Ioniq£26,745174 miles117 miles-57 miles-33%
Hyundai Kona Electric£27,250279 miles259 miles-20 miles-7%
Jaguar I-Pace£60,995292 miles253 miles-39 miles-13%
Kia e-Niro£32,995282 miles253 miles-29 miles-10%
Nissan Leaf£24,495168 miles128 miles-40 miles-24%
Renault Zoe£17,720186 miles146 miles-40 miles-22%
Smart ForFour EQ£18,19068 miles57 miles-11 miles-16%
Smart ForTwo EQ£19,83570 miles59 miles-11 miles-16%
Tesla Model 3 (Performance)£49,140329 miles239 miles-90 miles-27%
Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range Plus)£36,490254 miles196 miles-58 miles-23%
Tesla Model S (75D)£68,900259 miles204 miles-55 miles-21%
Tesla Model X (100D)£73,900351 miles233 miles-118 miles-34%
Volkswagen e-Golf£29,230186 miles117 miles-69 miles-37%
Volkswagen e-Up£19,61583 miles66 miles-17 miles-21%

Last edited by a moderator:

The wheels and brakes are different as you've said and it looks like you get red brake calipers. I've seen the software thing mentioned and they did an update in the USA so possibly something in it but given the different wheels/brakes/lowered suspension then is the motor drive to wheel the same, if it has it? :lol:

This is from the website as I just selected the 2 models and hoyed it together. I'd be looking at video reviews if you want a closer look at them.

Both Include:
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Auto-dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
Custom driver profiles
Music and media over Bluetooth®
12-way power adjustable heated front seats
Centre console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Standard Includes:
Premium seat material and trim
Upgraded audio – immersive sound

Performance Includes:
Heated front and rear seats
Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
20” Performance Wheels
Performance Brakes
Carbon fibre spoiler
Lowered suspension
Aluminium alloy pedals
Track Mode
LED fog lamps
Interior floor mat
Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
Satellite maps with live traffic visualisation
In-car internet streaming music and media
More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
Internet browser

Tesla are taking the piss charging thousands extra if you want the "proper" software on the car, especially as much of it hasn't even been released yet.

Is it worth ordering a model 3 without a test drive? I’m not up in Edinburgh until Feb but want to kick the lead time off ASAP

OR is there somewhere closer to home to test drive?

I had my test drive at Rockcliffe Hall , could have had one at Slaley Hall as an alternative.

All booked online iirc.

Have you seen that bloody electric Mustang? What a shambles inside. The I pace seems to have the nicest interior

it does :cool:
The Tesla Roadster looks canny, especially the claimed 620 mile range as surely that's got be more than most, if not all fuel based sports cars. The 0-60mph is ridiculous at 1.9s and that would strip a lass of her top if she has a buttoned or zipped top on! :lol:

The benefit being? ;) I'm sure some lasses will be impressed with the little bit faster 0-60mph time and nipping away at the traffic lights or Asda car park :lol::lol: I'm pretty sure most blokes grow out of the boy racer stage quickly as only f***ing idiot would hoof it all the time risking either getting pulled, caught for speeding, causing an accident or continually looking like a small dick wanker etc!

I've had fast cars and the "oooh I've got a fast car and will zoom away at traffic lights" novelty quick wore off for me. One big reason fast cars are useful is when wanting to 'legitimately' overtake as you can get past quicker and easier. The downside of any fast car, including electric is that hoying your foot down decreases the range in some way.

I'm guessing that once electric cars becomes more mainstream, some may limit the acceleration power as it will cause more accidents as wanna be Lewis Hamilton's end up crashing as they've not enough experience of handling cars when hoying down the pedal either from a stand start or while already moving at speed. Insurance premiums will possibly increase (already high aren't they?) as people end up having more accidents due to not really being suited to drive cars with fast acceleration than they would in a slower car. Imagine little old Doris at Asda car park and her foot slips on the accelerator, she'd have took out the trolley shed out within a fraction of a second whereas in her little VW she'd have reacted in time :lol:

The standard is still faster than most cars at 5.3s 0-60mph and 140mph so is there really a point in simply buying the performance as it's quite a bit faster at 3.2s and 162mph? The performance has the longer range and a few frilly extras and the bigger wheels so this is what people should be considering and whether it's worth the extra cost.

I also see that cold affects battery performance and I presume in northern areas you'd be using the lights etc longer. I've seen one AAA report that claimed some electric cars (not just Tesla) lost 40% range due to cold weather but that's just one test but surely cold does affect the performance of the battery and therefore range?

I see Tesla has this mentioned in their disclaimer

Range figures based on WLTP standard. Your actual vehicle range will vary depending on the vehicle configuration, battery age and condition, driving style and operating, environmental and climate conditions. WLTP standard may be useful in comparing ranges among electric vehicles.

What Car did a test and the performance was only 43 miles more and not the claimed 75 miles. One thing to bear in mind is that if you are buying the performance for speed and continually use it then you won't get anywhere the claimed miles. Though it's not really a problem if people can regularly charge up and I presume they'd always be near a charger point no matter where they go on their travels in the UK.

OFFICIAL VS REAL RANGE OF ELECTRIC CARS TESTED BY WHAT CAR?

ModelPrice (from)Official rangeWhat Car? Real RangeDifference (miles)Difference (%)
Audi e-tron£68,020248 miles196 miles-52 miles-21%
BMW i3£31,680193 miles165 miles-28 miles-15%
Hyundai Ioniq£26,745174 miles117 miles-57 miles-33%
Hyundai Kona Electric£27,250279 miles259 miles-20 miles-7%
Jaguar I-Pace£60,995292 miles253 miles-39 miles-13%
Kia e-Niro£32,995282 miles253 miles-29 miles-10%
Nissan Leaf£24,495168 miles128 miles-40 miles-24%
Renault Zoe£17,720186 miles146 miles-40 miles-22%
Smart ForFour EQ£18,19068 miles57 miles-11 miles-16%
Smart ForTwo EQ£19,83570 miles59 miles-11 miles-16%
Tesla Model 3 (Performance)£49,140329 miles239 miles-90 miles-27%
Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range Plus)£36,490254 miles196 miles-58 miles-23%
Tesla Model S (75D)£68,900259 miles204 miles-55 miles-21%
Tesla Model X (100D)£73,900351 miles233 miles-118 miles-34%
Volkswagen e-Golf£29,230186 miles117 miles-69 miles-37%
Volkswagen e-Up£19,61583 miles66 miles-17 miles-21%

Mate I drive a 1 litre hatchback that produces less than 10% of the torque of a premium EV and gets from 50 to 60 slower than the Tesla goes from 0 to 60 😂

I am going to enjoy the novelty of being able to accelerate for a little while, but you’re right in that eventually that will wear off.

Still fun, though.

Last edited:
How long before the fancy big screens are banned? Aye it's pretty simple with nee buttons but having to fart about in numerous screens is surely a concern given it needs the driver to be looking? The point of buttons is you know the general area they're in and as they're tactile you can feel without having to look and do something. This nee buttons and 1 screen is simply cost cutting at the end of the day ;)

At the moment it won't be as bad but you can only imagine the masses pissing about on the screen as some won't remember each and every place something is, nor will they have a 'blind' feel for it. I think they'll end up banning the use of touchscreens in cars for anything apart from very basic things once people are found to have been pissing about with them prior to an accident as it will no doubt happen and it will be recorded no doubt in some sort of black box. It's not the same as using a phone but it's still a concern that cars with touchscreens are going this way and could end up taking the driver's focus from the road.

Take away the performance speeds of that Tesla and it's just the Apple version of a car with an ipad slapped on the dashboard! :lol: The bloke's even playing a game on the screen at the beginning of that video :lol: Mentioning Apple, I recall I pointed this out quite a few years ago now regarding touchscreens as I commented on the Apple Carplay here (LINK n Thor'd below) and it just shows what will happen if you allow drivers to fuck about with the screen while driving.

Watch just after 3:55 when he goes into the Sat Nav and it allows him to select a destination while moving! Are they taking the piss as surely they must know this will distract drivers? Or at 5:05 when he starts pissing about selecting music? He starts pissing about with messaging around 6 mins and again it allows you to select names on the screen though it's not clear if it shows them which I doubt.

On a serious note, watch just how long he keeps his eyes down from 11:15 to 11:49. Over those 30 seconds, he's basically looking down most of the time. He's looking up for a fraction of a second every couple of seconds and one time it's about 3 seconds he looking down at the screen! Surely this can't be reet and how it works? I know this is a review but imagine some knacker trying to do this and the potential dangers as surely it's a very similar distraction as using a mobile phone? It's basically a big phone stuck on the dash!

In that old post, soon after Vauxhall removed that advert in my post is in my mind due to the fact it implied you could fuck about while driving and then the car itself is shown to suddenly maneuver to the right close to the white line! :lol: They released a newer version here that cropped the video of it swerving as it's already near the white line at 7 seconds! :lol:

Back