Terry Jones - DNYT

Got to say, I actually don’t know much about him. Never seen any of the Python stuff, apart from the parrot sketch, I’d say that is the limit of my knowledge. I’m going to have to look him up on IMDb because not sure what else he may have been involved in.

But, RIP etc

Rip Terry. Ripping Yarns was always a favourite too.

Welease Woger is still a saying used in my family. Eg 'What should we do?' Reply 'We could always Welease Woger'. Simple things and all that... 😀
Apparently when directing that scene, Terry had the crowd of mostly foreign extras in absolute stitches as he was jumping and rolling about trying to communicate to them how he wanted them to respond to the gags - unfortunately the cameras weren't rolling though so the genuine riotous hilarity which would have fit perfectly wasn't captured.

Still, great scene.

Terry Jones showing Tunisian's how to laugh...

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Got to say, I actually don’t know much about him. Never seen any of the Python stuff, apart from the parrot sketch, I’d say that is the limit of my knowledge. I’m going to have to look him up on IMDb because not sure what else he may have been involved in.

But, RIP etc

All the Python TV shows are worth a look. Him playing three blind mice on a xylophone made of actual mice is just one of dozens of amazing moments.

He was also, like the rest of the Pythons, around and about various TV shows of the 60s like Do Not Adjust Your Set and The Frost Report until they coalesced into that legendary team.

As well as that he directed or co-directed all the Python films. He went on to do various things after Python, including directing Personal Services the film about notorious prostitute and madam Cynthia Payne. As a result of that he briefly held the honour of being the director of all the films ever banned from release in the Republic of Ireland.

He did some writing for The Two Ronnies, co-wrote Ripping Yarns with Michael Palin, and various other screenplays and TV writing.

He wrote kids books, co-created an animated TV series, wrote history books and poetry, and generally turned his hands to all sorts of stuff.

All the Python TV shows are worth a look. Him playing three blind mice on a xylophone made of actual mice is just one of dozens of amazing moments.

He was also, like the rest of the Pythons, around and about various TV shows of the 60s like Do Not Adjust Your Set and The Frost Report until they coalesced into that legendary team.

As well as that he directed or co-directed all the Python films. He went on to do various things after Python, including directing Personal Services the film about notorious prostitute and madam Cynthia Payne. As a result of that he briefly held the honour of being the director of all the films ever banned from release in the Republic of Ireland.

He did some writing for The Two Ronnies, co-wrote Ripping Yarns with Michael Palin, and various other screenplays and TV writing.

He wrote kids books, co-created an animated TV series, wrote history books and poetry, and generally turned his hands to all sorts of stuff.

Look!....Are you insinuating something?!

Comedy genius. RIP Terry
The scene with the emperor and his speech impediment when all the centurions are pissing themselves made me laugh more than anything else in my life. I could barely breathe, tears streaming down my face, totally lost control at how hilarious it was.
Threww him to the fleur centoorian 😂😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
I was obsessed with the Pythons as a kid
I could recite loads of their sketches parrot fashion - I had the books and records and taped a load of the TV shows

I never really appreciated how funny Terry Jones was back then but over time you realise that him and Graham Chapman seemed to be in the shadows of Cleese, Palin and Idle but were actually the real comic geniuses of the Pythons
A genuinely funny man who will be greatly missed

Back