Terrible manager

Now and then isn't consistently though, is it? We stayed up be the skin of our knackers for the majority of those seasons. We usually saved our best football for the last couple of matches of the season. When was the last time we played decent football for six games in a row?
That's because we were playing proper teams man. If you're consistent in the top division you're at Champions League level and above. Look at where we are and who we're playing. We're winning games, but it's like a friggin' tennis match at times with play going end to end. Ok it might be entertaining whilst you're winning, but we're very very open. Luckily teams in League 1 aren't as effective at punishing you. There's a few games now, Saturday included, where we've resorted to five at the back for the last 15 minutes and held out for wins. That'll not last like.

Yes there's passages of good football for this level. Yes we're winning. But let's not pretend we're Barcelona here, 'cos we're far from it.

That's because we were playing proper teams man. If you're consistent in the top division you're at Champions League level and above. Look at where we are and who we're playing. We're winning games, but it's like a friggin' tennis match at times with play going end to end. Ok it might be entertaining whilst you're winning, but we're very very open. Luckily teams in League 1 aren't as effective at punishing you. There's a few games now, Saturday included, where we've resorted to five at the back for the last 15 minutes and held out for wins. That'll not last like.

Yes there's passages of good football for this level. Yes we're winning. But let's not pretend we're Barcelona here, 'cos we're far from it.
You can only judge yourself on the level you're playing at and at our current level, we've played most of the teams at the top and beaten them. We're playing some decent stuff at/for this level and we look like we've got a good group of lads, willing to put themselves on the line for each other.
We can't judge ourselves by how we would do against Manchester United, City, Chelsea et al, because that's not where we're at any more.

I totally agree with the five at the back thing. I don't get (or like) that at all. We look much better on the front foot than on the back.

Last edited:
You can only judge yourself on the level you're playing at and at our current level, we've played most of the teams at the top and beaten them. We're playing some decent stuff at/for this level and we look like we've got a good group of lads, willing to put themselves on the line for each other.
We can't judge ourselves by how we would do against Manchester United, City, Chelsea et al, because that's not where we're at any more.

I totally agree with the five at the back thing. I don't get (or like) that at all. We look much better on the front foot than on the back.
But if you're going to compare it to the last twenty years, it's insane to suggest that we're playing better football whilst at the lowest ebb in our history. As I've said, we've won Championship titles in that period. We've beaten some of the best teams around. It has been better than it is now.

Last edited:
But if you're going to compare it to the last twenty years, it's insane to suggest that we're playing better football whilst at the lowest ebb in our history. As I've said, we've won Championship titles in that period. We've beaten some of the best teams around. It has been better than it is now.
Of course I can compare it because it's a different level. The level we're at, at any given time, is the only level we can judge ourselves on.
Going by your argument, you can't compare the championship to the Premier league, but it's what you've just done.

Of course I can compare it because it's a different level. The level we're at, at any given time, is the only level we can judge ourselves on.
Going by your argument, you can't compare the championship to the Premier league, but it's what you've just done.
Naa sorry, disagree. This is not the best football we've played in twenty years. It's ridiculous.

Will support Sunderland til the day I die. I can see lots of things that have improved this season, Most of them off the field ...including player recruitment and a change in our approach with younger players. That said ANY Sunderland manager should be able to get SAFC out of league 1 period. They dont need millions to spend nor to be a coaching genius, just to be able to get the best of what theyve got. LJ like his predecessors had ample opportunity to get the team winning and had A LOT of players capable of doing it. We have resources others in the division can only be envious of. Hes seems to be finally heading in the right direction BUT. I dont like the little git. He likes the sound of his own voice too much, Makes simple things complicated far too often, Hes overly cautious when we go in front and too slow to use his subs. I hope he succeeds and I have to swallow my words, but he needs to make the most of this because when the downturn inevitably comes (at some point in the season our form will dip) there'll be a relatively quick return to giving him pelters. Because what some fail to have grasped is HES JUST NOT VERY LIKEABLE
I like him!

Jack Ross started with attacking football that turned into hanging on to draws.

Parkinson used to defend deep for the last half an hour.

We’ve been hanging on for dear life in most games this season. Bringing on extra defenders, camping on the edge of our box and today it cost us. It’s been coming.

Still far from convinced. His game management is very poor.

We’ve been hanging on for dear life in most games this season. Bringing on extra defenders, camping on the edge of our box and today it cost us. It’s been coming.

That’s why he’s a third division manager

Naa sorry, disagree. This is not the best football we've played in twenty years. It's ridiculous.
Dont think thats what he said mate. We have probably played better football, and at a higher level, but you have to treat them differently because of where we are now, not then.
I'm not fully convinced by LJ. As I have said b4, I think he sounds like he's swallowed the FA Manual in some of his interviews, but for this stage of the season, at this level, we have had a promising start.
At some point we have to have some stability regarding the coaching, and so far this season, so good.
It's still September ffs.

I think he struggles when Managers change formation at half time - the team always seems to struggle to adapt. Personally I would have left Neill on and put evens in as well.

Back