Ten Years Ago

We flew from Teeside
Me and my son flew from East Midlands. I had written down all the details of our hotel on a piece of paper. In the departure lounge we started supping and we were sat with the sports journalist for some rag who was covering Bolton Wanderers.
He was asking us how many fans we would have in Amsterdam, and he said he would rather be covering us than Bolton who would be lucky to have 50 fans following them around Holland pre season.
Got on the plane with him in tow had a drink then landed. Got the train with him into the city then said our goodbyes.
Walked out of the station and went into my pocket for the hotel details. No,piece of paper.
Panic. Do t know name of where we are staying.
What a carry on. We had to get my daughter to access my computer to get the details. Long story short we got there in the early hours of the following morning.
Had our weekend of football, drink, sex etc got into the car at East Midlands airport to come home and there in the dashboard was a piece of paper with our hotel details on it.:lol:
Great weekend. Thursday to Monday.
Best Wishes to Trev from Kettering.

Last edited:
Many, many memories, some of the best days of my life tbh. Some stuff not to be proud of looking back, but you're only young once. Can only imagine what it would be like if we were good enough to get into Europe and play teams like that competitively, sadly turning down the intertoto looks like it might be as close as we get in my lifetime (well, maybe we'll be canny in another decade or so like, we live in hope)

Was in with the Ajax fans with the lad and a couple of the in-laws. All happy we wouldn't have to play Ajax. Tom's cousin creasing himself at the Andy Reid chant. And a class weekend in Amsterdam going to our usual haunts (Gollem, Hoppe and In t'Apjiens).

I proclaimed Aguero overrated after that & maintained he'd be shite in the premier league.

Obviously made me look like a right tit on his debut when he came on and banged in a long ranger against Swansea. I was watching it with a mate aswell, saying how overrated he was :rolleyes:

A fantastic weekend with the worst hangover I’ve ever had at the end of it.

The only disappointment was to find out that Louis, while very happy to take our money, did it through gritted teeth. He’s a Mag.

I can’t remember the Benfica game (not because I was pissed, I just don’t remember it). I watched the Madrid game in a pub in South Shields. We looked good.

I fyuckin loved him

Loved his pace and power
Loved his aggression

Loved his important goals
Was away on holiday in Greece when the step son texted to say we'd signed him. Didn't understand at first but then realised who it was and squealed like a pig. Fuckers on the beach must of thought I was mentally ill.

Alround great few days. Biggest laugh for me was seeing our less fit fans emergin g from the mammoth stair climb into the arena, looking relieved and knackered, then realising they had another 59 steps to climb and just slumping onto the access steps. You had to be there I suppose

I remember him saying and thinking he might be under-estimating how difficult it is to attractive top players to the club
Are you sure that you weren't just excited at the time and your memory is actually hindsight? He attracted bennt, Cana Gyan etc... He shopped in harrods then dismantled that for a spending spree in Presto.

Last edited:
Alround great few days. Biggest laugh for me was seeing our less fit fans emergin g from the mammoth stair climb into the arena, looking relieved and knackered, then realising they had another 59 steps to climb and just slumping onto the access steps. You had to be there I suppose
It's like that at St James's as well. All the chubby lads stopping every 30 seconds in need of oxygen!

Flew in and out from Humberside airport, where we bumped into Ginger Billy and a couple of his mates. Great weekend as always, and cannot think why I never slept for 3 days. Got photos inside the stadium of everybody just sitting there drinking and totally oblivious to the fact that there was a game going on.

Just before Going through turnstiles and everybody searched, my Mrs opened her bag and this security guard said come with me, took us further round the Stadium and took us through a private door into a lift and straight to the top floor. Walked us round the concourse and through another couple of locked doors and we were then in the away section and watched everybody else staggering up the stairs all the way to the top tier. Why because she had an asthma puffer in her bag. Love the Dutch me. Question is would that happen at St James Park where the number of steps are probably similar ?

Last edited:

Back